Shang-Chi in development for MCU

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popnfresh98

Super Freak
Reaction score
Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther

1R5e.gif

The only person I see them casting is Donnie Yen due to his marketability. But wouldn't he be too old to play the character? Maybe Wu Jing is a good alternative?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-G935W8 發送

The only person I see them casting is Donnie Yen due to his marketability. But wouldn't he be too old to play the character? Maybe Wu Jing is a good alternative?

Nahhh? They’ll get Jacky Chan.( marvel=punchlines+ Chan = punch + punclines)= dumb blockbuster... which quite sums up marvel pretty well!

Nahhh? They’ll get Jacky Chan.( marvel=punchlines+ Chan = punch + punclines)= dumb blockbuster... which quite sums up marvel pretty well!
Jackie's a known marvel hater. He'd never do it

Bring on the Master of Kung-Fu, I can see Shang-Chi fitting into the MCU nicely in a post no Captain America and Iron Man world. Offers great entry points for the Netflix characters to come into the movie universe as well if Marvel wanted to go that way.

Master%u00252Bof%u00252BKung-Fu%u00252Bcommission%u00252Bby%u00252BGulacy.jpg

Get Lewis Tan for the part, wasted as Shatterstar in Deadpool 2. Marvel could really build something around him

https://twitter.com/TheLewisTan/status/1070528562661273600

Last edited:
Announcement has been in the news for a couple of weeks. Shang Chi would be great as long as they lean into the mysticism. Would be great to see them go with a "Big Trouble in Little China" vibe, but of course more serious, with creatures and magic. Not like the disaster that was Iron Fist (who could be recast and added into a later movie). I think the front runners for the lead at the moment are Lewis Tan and Ludi Lin, both of whom are in their early 30s and already trained martial artists. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try for Nick Young from Crazy Rich Asians given his popularity, but not sure if he's a martial artist. Donnie Yen might be cool as Fu Manchu.

Lewis tan.jpg
Ludi Lin.jpg

Last edited:
I'd probably nominate my good friend Andy On. Y'all might have seen him in Jackie Chan's New Police Story (legoland fight was pretty sick) and Michael Mann's Black Hat. Or even Philip Ng, played Bruce Lee in that WWE produced movie

Very cool. Loved this comic as a kid, I had a lot of issues that my dad gave me. Would be cool to see his adversary with the blades for hands. Also, that above pic makes me sad we didn't get the REAL Nick Fury!

Why does the first Asian superhero have to be a martial artist? :lol Anyway, they better upgrade the character and give him some cool powers, maybe ki energy like in Dragon Ball so he can be useful in Avenger films against powerful opponents. I'm not a fan of weak street level characters.

I loved the Master of Kung Fu run. I have so many issues and the art on that book was incredible. Paul Gulacy, Mike Zeck, and the late Gene Day were phenomenal artists. That book always looked good.

The only person I see them casting is Donnie Yen due to his marketability. But wouldn't he be too old to play the character?

Definitely TOO old for that role.

Donnie Yen might be cool as Fu Manchu.

Fu Manchu is not a Marvel character, though, but a licensed property of the Sax Rohmer estate, so I don't think Marvel will corner themselves like they did in the 70's by using that name now.

Why does the first Asian superhero have to be a martial artist?

I know where you're coming from, but... "Shang-Chi, Master of Kung-Fu". It's a start.

This has a lot of potential IMO, I agree that it should have a big trouble in little China vibe but also be grounded in ancient mythology

This has a lot of potential IMO, I agree that it should have a big trouble in little China vibe but also be grounded in ancient mythology
Add in a taoist monk and hopping vampires and you've got yourselves a hit!

For this movie, they really need to show his mastery of his chi ...as well as his mastery of Kung Fu. Otherwise, it would come out rather weak like Netflix Iron Fist.

For a full season, Danny Rand only could use his right hand as Iron Fist. WTF?!

Might as well bump the thread for discussion.
I'm happy to hear The Mandarin and the Ten Rings story line will continue, sad that Iron Man won't be a part of it, the Mandarin is his villain.
I guess having the villain feature in an Asian lead film is how they get around the stereotype controversy.

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings 001.jpg

Back