King Kong Skull Islan vinyl figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm a big King Kong fan, although my favorite movie version is probably not yours. Tonight I'm checking out the new soft vinyl figure of Kong based on the Skull Island design, produced by Star Ace:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-122118a.htm

or you can find it at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael

review_sakong_8.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked the movie and this iteration of Kong, but that price tag has me holding off. Nice review.

It's pretty much the going price for vinyls right? I got it for $163 at Awesome Collector, that's including shipping. It was $145 for the deluxe at the time; the price was raised to $155 there now. Anyway I have him and I think he's great; only my second vinyl but I like the look a lot.

By the way I never thought of Kong as a horror character; I'd just been discussing this figure in the Godzilla thread in the general section.

It's a 12" vinyl by X-Plus; the MSRP is pretty much right in line with all of their 12" vinyls.

I got one for Christmas from my wife. It looks great next to the X-Plus 2014 Godzilla, but it just doesn't have the shelf presence by itself to justify $139. When I took it out of the box, there was a great feeling of underwhelming. I have about 25 X-Plus Godzilla Universe figures in this scale.

It's a $89 figure tops, IMO.

joX6gZK.jpg

Last edited:
I only have 1 other 12" vinyl but I disagree.

This Kong looks like he's going to rip some mother ****ers head off, I think he owns the shelf he's on.

I just picked up the Deluxe Version of this figure. It’s a stunning sculpt and a great piece. I think it’s probably the nicest, stand alone Kong piece I’ve seen. The simple pose, intimidating posture & expression make it such a pleasure to look at.

Would I like to have the Deluxe version for $89 as Batman Professor says...sure why not but that’s not reality. Why would King Kong have the same shelf presence as Godzilla who is much more massive...doesn’t make a whole lotta sense.

I would ABSOLUTELY would buy this guy again. It’s a magnificent looking sculpt of King Kong and I highly recommend picking up the deluxe version you got your eyes on him. Much better presentation compared to the regular. Regular w/o base to me looks like a figure, Deluxe has more of a statue feel with the environment base.

Last edited:
Back