3D Printing - what route to go?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwelveInchFigures

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been itching to do my own parts, figures and sculpts, and have looked at posts on here about 3D printers and services, but most of the posts are 2 years old and a lot can change in 2 years.

To those who do 3D printing, what do you recommend these days? Buying a 3D printer, or using a service (Shapeways or another?). If buying, what are the best options out there? Can one expect to get a reasonably good printer for $3000-$4000?

Also, software. I taught myself Lightwave 3D years ago, but I'm seeing ZBrush a lot, is that a good standard?

Finally, for someone who has a semi-organically shaped vehicle in mind as a first project, and would like to do weapons, small accessories, possibly head-sculpts and non-human 1/6 scale figures (if printers do detailed enough work these days - are they anywhere near as good as sculpting by hand yet? If not, maybe I should split up how I do things, between traditional and 3D), is there a good fit for that level of versitility, or will I need to choose (i.e. - between one that might do smaller parts better, and one that can handle larger, 1/6 car-sized models, as an example)?

Any links to more reading, research, pricing, etc. are appreciated -thanks!

Zbrush is a great and unique 3D app (sculpting feels like physically adding and carving clay). It has one of the most unconventional UIs that I have ever used but once you become acclimated it has some great tools for optimizing your sculpts for 3D print.

That's depends with how often are you gonna do 3D printing.

Buying 3D printer is just much more convenient, you can trial error as much as you want. Some of basic FDM printer are not too expensive and affordable.

I'd probably do a fair amount, but my concerns is are there any that can handle Hot Toys quality head sculpts or is that not just possible or simply too expensive at this point?

And also, as I said, in addition to doing head sculpts and small items (weapons, accessories, etc) the main thing I'm focusing on is my own project creating a 1/6 scale organic vehicle, which will have some moving parts. So I'd want something that can handle larger parts as well as smaller ones.

Form 2 seems to be the most common for headsculpts I think?

You wouldn't get very large prints out of that unless it was chopped up and assembled though.

Hmm, that would be a problem. I can do head scupts the traditional scupting way instead, but I need to be able to do some good sized parts for the vehicle I have in mind. Roughly Delorean sized, give or take... that probably chops my options right down...

We use a Form 2 at work.

I printed this on it.

DrJonesPrint2.jpg

It's very good quality, I believe the printer was about $5,000.

As with most technology, if you wait another year, I'm sure something better and less expensive will release.

Form 2 is likely within his budget but would have a limited build area.

Resin gets you the quality you need for sculpts, but being as it’s a big old pool of resin they dint make them very big.

Shapeways, unless youre willing to buy an SLA. I have a regular 3D printer and it does not get the detail I want or the quality that a resin printer would.

I'm not saying it's impossible; I don't know your background or history, but a career in 3D printing isn't something you can achieve overnight. If you want to work for a company and design 3D printed products, you'll almost certainly need a college degree with a design emphasis. If you want to work for someone else and engineer 3D printers, you'll need a mechanical engineering degree.

If you want to work on your own, you can do so without a degree. Trying to compete with large corporations is going to be a lot of effort.

I am from Los Angeles zip code. And I have never seen anything like that in my neighborhood. It is interesting to see some pictures, can you post here? You are describing an interesting model. Tell us more to have a better vision. Possibly, I will learn something new for myself and reequip my vehicle. Waiting for more pictures and details from all participants.

Back