Would it be safe? Horizontal Billy on top of 2 detolfs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealjondoe

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im thinking about putting one of the slimmer Billy bookcases horizontally on top of 2 detolfs.
Right now i have my tv on a stand with a detolf on each side. I was thinking if i put a Billy across the top of the detolfs with the weight equally balanced i might be ok. Just looking to add some space to display stuff but scared the detolf's can't handle the weight.

Detolfs are designed to display stuff on the shelves, not as load-bearing units. The stability of the setup will ultimately depend on how much the Billy weighs, and the collective weight and distribution of the items on the shelves. I wouldn't risk it myself, even with 1/6 figures as opposed to statues. I'd fasten the Billy to the wall for additional support.

Detolfs are designed to display stuff on the shelves, not as load-bearing units. The stability of the setup will ultimately depend on how much the Billy weighs, and the collective weight and distribution of the items on the shelves. I wouldn't risk it myself, even with 1/6 figures as opposed to statues. I'd fasten the Billy to the wall for additional support.

I think you're right. I just looked up the weight of the Billy and its 58lbs which is heavier than i expected. It may be a little less if i don't use the shelves but its probably too heavy still. My other idea was using one of those big Lack shelves. That i think would be ok. And i would only be putting hot toys on it. Hmmm

No....

All that holds up a top of a detolf is the thin wire and glass....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I have a kalax holding up 3 detolfs no problem

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

For what it's worth, I put my Sideshow Jabba and Throne across the top of two DETOLFs. That throne was 40 lbs. I never had any problems. It was displayed that way for years.

Back