Do your figures have Contrapposto?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
No, it's not a condition issue, it's how you pose your figures in your display.

From Wiki:
Contrapposto is an Italian term that means counterpoise. It is used in the visual arts to describe a human figure standing with most of its weight on one foot so that its shoulders and arms twist off-axis from the hips and legs. This gives the figure a more dynamic, or alternatively relaxed appearance. Contrapposto was an extremely important sculptural development, originating around 480 BC; its appearance marks the first time in Western art that the human body is used to express a psychological disposition.

ce0977e2c70007e124385f011206fd01.jpg

preview.jpg

So which do you prefer? Pre-480 BC or "museum pose" or a more natural pose?

Wasn't thinking about it in terms of contrapposto, but that makes complete sense. I don't really have 1/6-scale to pose any more, but with all the smaller guys I try to distribute the weight in a way that looks natural and focus on the angle of the torso. Never used a straight 'museum pose' in the sense of completely straight legs, everything totally aligned.

Yes, I always prefer museum poses BUT they have to be natural therefore counter posture is a must every time. I can't tell you how many collection displays and figures I've seen from other collectors ruined because they were going for the rigor mortis look.

I am super fussy about posing. It can take me days to get look I think looks natural.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Yeah and on figures where the articulation is a little too limited to get a real squash/stretch going on with the waist and hips, I tend to just do a subtle one leg back/arm forward on one side and leg forward/ arm back on the other side. I don't like my figures posed rigidly straight up and down.

Back