The Phantom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

posterguy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Phantom norwegian comic book 1964-2018 RIP.......less than 10k copies sold today vs 80s where they sold up to 100k copies a yr

The decline started already in the 90s , some blame cable TV and consoles then again maybe the stories werent as good as in the 70s/80s ?

The 60s : 4-6 issue s a yr

1970-2013 : 26 issues a yr (sometimes even 27)

2013-now : once a month

Phantom is still published in Sweden , Finland and Oz

Never seemed to find an audience outside of newspaper strips in American comics from the 80s to today. Even a terrible movie with Billy Zane couldn't help. I had some Phantom issues from DC from the 80s and they were boring. I think modern audiences just felt nothing for the character.

Never seemed to find an audience outside of newspaper strips in American comics from the 80s to today.

Australia has always been a stronghold. Not sure how well it's selling Down Under but it's still publishing.

Yeah the movie was a big disappointment. I loved the comic strip, its too bad they didn't do it better in Hollywood, I think it had real potential.

The movie could have been better but it *did* capture that pulp matinee feel like other films of the time (The Shadow, Rocketeer etc.)

Last edited:

Now THIS i wouldve liked to see as an animated movie.....about a hundred times better than Zane movie :D

Scandinavian comics are the best imo , stories such as "Eden" (WW2 and cave boy......very powerful ending) and "Golden runes" (5-part story which has been translated to english in Oz) , Phantom during middle ages as a knight , Phantom during 1700s , "Livets ild" (translated : "The fire of life" , the bad guy is prolly one of the creepiest ever)

In a story in '96 or so Phantom actually cheated on Diana , kid you not

Back