Sideshow Collectibles Boxes - Keep or Toss

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mharless

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I cannot believe I am even considering this. I have recently moved after selling part of my collection. What I own now would only be sold in a “life or death” emergency. My problem I have though is I have no room for my boxes. Right now they are just piled up in my den because that is the only place I have room. I am thinking about just throwing then away. What are your thoughts?

One bedroom apartment. I would hate to rent a storage building for boxes. Like...really nice boxes.

They are in shipper boxes. Two huge boxes for a Life Size Bust, one Maquette, and then 8 boxes of Premium Format. I might need to consider stepping down to the 1/6 scale. I have a few of those and those boxes are very small.

If you buy as a speculator, keep them. If you buy to enjoy, toss them. The space can be used to serve your collection, not the boxes.

i'm just gonna tell you this, if this keeps going on you will start to think about it everyday and become sad & frustrated with the hobby you like and can afford but no place to store them.

i say throw the boxes that you don't like. keep some that you do. sell away figures that you are in doubt. ask yourself, do you like this figure? if yes, keep it. don't know? sell it.

i can tell you collecting stuffs really meant for folks that are well off. you can afford a hobby doesn't mean you should. you need alot more money than you think you are spending on this hobby. many expenditure aren't realized until it's abit late. unless you live in places like Hong Kong or Japan where they already figured out the cost of collecting which is real estate space. someone in Hong Kong calculated how much it cost him to keep 1 1/6 toy box and why he throws away all the boxes even though he likes them.

Most of those boxes can be carefully collapsed and flattened if needed.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

It’d be better than throwing them away

Yes. If you do decide to sell something down the road, or if/when you move again, you’ll be happy to have the boxes.

If you really need them out of the apartment but don’t want to throw them out, how much is a 5x5 storage space in your neck of the woods? Just consider it part of your rent as if you were renting a slightly bigger 1 bedroom that has an extra walk in closet (though less convenient of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to find a way to keep them in an attic, somewhere at a friend or family member, a storage place. Hot Toys and Sideshow figures don't necessarily need their boxes if you move again. But you'd need the boxes for the statues and props. I wouldn't sell any of my boxes as they are integral part of that collectible

Keep them. First of all, I don't feel the collectible is complete without the box. Secondly, the value decreases if you don't have the box (regardless if you're never going to sell it). Thirdly, it's just best to keep them, for storing the statues and you never know how it may help in the future. Once you discard them, they're not easy to regain.

Pile them in the parking lot and set them of fire, take pictures and post them for us.
That way you'll really have to keep them for the rest of your life or really hustle when you want to sell them.

Disclaimer: DO NOT SET ANYTHING ON FIRE IN AN AREA THAT WILL CAUSE HARM, DAMAGE OR DEATH TO YOURSELF OR ANYONE ELSE, PERSONAL PUBLIC PRIVATE OR GOVERNMENT PROPERTY IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Keep them. First of all, I don't feel the collectible is complete without the box. Secondly, the value decreases if you don't have the box (regardless if you're never going to sell it). Thirdly, it's just best to keep them, for storing the statues and you never know how it may help in the future. Once you discard them, they're not easy to regain.
Second this.

Living in Tokyo, I tossed 90% of my 130+ boxes away last year. I have no plans on selling any of my figures so throwing them away wasn’t a major issue. Having been rid of them, it definitely brings a bit more freedom to the collection in terms of only having to worry about where to display the figure as opposed to the boxes as well.

Back