Value of older statues.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky1976

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone notice that selling older statues and 1/6 figures on ebay for a profit is getting harder and harder, and most of the time you're losing money. I remember the days when you could sell older statues and figures for double and triple what you paid. I think the values are dropping because of the other saturation of collectibles and the fact that the new statues and figures are a huge improvement on the older releases.

I never got into collecting for profit but selling at a 30% to 40% lose or more is depressing.

It depends on what it is, for example many of the lines of Hot Toys figures are saturated, like Iron Man. Other lines have much fewer items so they're a bit more desirable.

As long as I get back what I paid thence I’m good, gone are the days of making massive profits, there’s exceptions of course but this ain’t the game if you want to make profit.

Unless you can make a deal on the forum ebay is your best bet just for exposure if nothing else. I usually sell on ebay successfully but expect to lose a little with ebay/paypal fees occasionally. Recouping at least 90%(+/-) with newly available space is motivation enough sometimes to take a hit, and sometimes I make some $.

I've sold a few through craigslist, no fees and since it's local (usually) there's no freight involved.
That's a great way to break even or get some additional $ on the right item.

Buy what you really want and resell value isn't an issue.

None of this stuff is going to go up in value and most of it will go down in value significantly over time. As Pork Chop said, just buy what you REALLY like and would never plan to sell, unless of course you have an unlimited budget.

I will never pay more than retail for a statue regardless of how old or limited it is. Some of the prices of statues going for 10 times what they would have paid for is a joke.
I recently picked up the life size ATOM life size bust for retail, only 200 made pretty rare, so if you hang out and be patient, sometimes you'll get a win.
As far as selling, I'm always happy to just get my money back, I never put any crazy prices on my statues.

1. Rising Retail Prices leaves less profit margin on the aftermarket. More times then not you will lose money when you sell now.
2. More companies making statues which in turn is flooding the market with lots of options for buyers
3. Higher Edition Sizes means more people selling the exact same statue on Ebay, more competition equals buyers market
4. Multiple Companies making the same character over and over again. Why pay a premium for an old statue of Batman when 5 new ones are being made by other companies.
5. To much product not enough buyers.

If you have some older statues that are popular you can still make some money, I just sold my Mythos Darth Maul (missing light saber) and it auctioned for $500 where I paid $350 for it originally... Sold my XM Magneto for $3000 where I paid $1000 for it originally, so depending on the statue you have you can make money. It's just not like it used to be where you could pretty much flip anything for a profit...

Way mor supply than demand for sure. As long as you are patient and don’t P.O. definitely Get the statue cheaper than retail for sure of the newer statue

Last couple Sideshow Red Sonjas are up in value but not much else. I want the SS BvS statues but not even going to pay retail since these aren't moving ….always fluctuations in market but #1 reason prices are falling is the stunning glut of constant new product...who can buy all this great stuff??

Well, older statues are fetching upwards of $120,000.00 USD these days, so....:rotfl
Screenshot_20190429-000212_eBay.jpg

Really depends though. Not all old jacket is worth anything but jacket used by Bruce Lee probably worth thousand hundred bucks.

Its been this way for a long time.
Sideshow and Hot Toys (with a splash of Enterbay) used to the only game(s) in town, and it'd be a huge wait to revisit licenses, if ever.
Now you've got a huge amount of companies making massive quantities and licenses never really leaving rotation at all.

Its a very collectible different world to a decade ago where you thought that statue/figure of your favourite character may be the only one ever made.
Now something gets released and you look at and think, I'm only 90% happy with the pose they chose, think I'll wait to the next one. ... or like the pose, but I prefer company X's paint apps, so I'll wait until they do one.

Anyone notice that selling older statues and 1/6 figures on ebay for a profit is getting harder and harder, and most of the time you're losing money. I remember the days when you could sell older statues and figures for double and triple what you paid. I think the values are dropping because of the other saturation of collectibles and the fact that the new statues and figures are a huge improvement on the older releases.

I never got into collecting for profit but selling at a 30% to 40% lose or more is depressing.

It really depends on the piece. I can think of some statues that had significantly appreciated in value since its initial release such as the Doctor Doom PF, She Hulk PF, Ms. Marvel PF, and Shaak Ti PF. For Hot Toys, the DX 11 Joker, DX07 Bespin Luke and Hot Toys 89 Batmobile come to mind.

Those statues and figures have stood the test of time and are arguably at par or even better than many new releases. So I think it really depends on the statue or figure.

Although most collectors will feel sad about losing 30% to 40% of the value of their collectibles when selling, I think about it in a positive way. Most hobbies (excluding those done for business purposes) are expenses and will not allow you to get your money back. For example, if your hobby is traveling, sailing, or watching movies, can you expect to get back at least 50% of what you spent for your hobby unless you turn it into a business? As collectors, I think that we are fortunate because we can enjoy our hobby (and collectibles while we own them) and expect to get back at least half of our investment when it's time to move on.

Sideshow captain Marvel statue has doubled in price at least.

It depends on what you are selling. I could make double-triple on a bunch of the stuff I own if I decided to sell them.

There is no set trend like the OP is talking about. Everything fluctuates. Some old stuff is down, others up. Some of my newer stuff has more than doubled, but with rising retail prices it is rare.

The days of making money are gone generally. Prices have risen so much in such a relatively short time, that people are struggling to buy a lot of this stuff at retail cost, never mind 50%+ more on the aftermarket as used to be the case. The only things you may make money on now are the odd rarity that explodes with popularity (Thanos maquette etc) Or the odd grail piece that has long been desirable such as the SWS Predator maquette and Pumpkin head maquette etc.

I think the standard advice now is not to rush in to a pre order (absolutely no point in the days of TBD ES numbers) And to only buy what you plan to keep long term.

Back