What's the best app to purchase and read digital comics on?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you prefer to purchase your digital comics from?

• Kindle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple Books/App Store

• Comixology

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Chapter 2099

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm really considering going to an all-digital comic collection and was wondering for those who read digitally:

Where do you purchase your digital comics from?

My tastes are all over the place (Marvel, DC, Boom! Studios, Dark Horse, IDW), but ultimately, I'd like to find a 'one stop shop', so I can purchase just about anything under one account. I'd like to avoid having multiple apps/accounts.

I have Marvel Unlimited and the DC Universe, so most of my focus would be on Boom!, Dark Horse, IDW titles.

Any help/advice/warning would be appreciated. I also included a poll! (which I know everyone loves. :lol)

My actual favorite app is iComics but it doesn't do purchases. Of the above options I chose ComiXology because you can get DRM-free backup files (sadly not from Marvel or DC tho).

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the info and advice! I downloaded the ComiXology app and am really liking its potential.

I still want to keep my Library Edition collections of some of my favorite runs, but many of the current runs I'm always behind on (waiting on a TPB collection) and don't really want to keep/resell the individual issues in paper form, so this seemed like the most logical option.

No problem!

Also, if you prefer your comics cheap and DRM-free, keep an eye on Humble Bundle's deals. They often have complete runs of certain franchises. For instance they recently had a Doctor Who deal and now have Tank Girl.

I'm going to sound stupid....

I know what DRM Free is, but I don't understand what implications it has. Does it mean, since I own it, I can open the files on any app I want? Or is just the idea that you technically own it?

Sorry for the delayed reply...

Does it mean, since I own it, I can open the files on any app I want? Or is just the idea that you technically own it?

Both. DRM-free means you can store the files wherever you want and open them in any reader you want. With DRM'd files you're tied to the app you bought them on and can't save an external copy. Which would be a major bummer if the publisher or app maker ever went bust.

However as I noted above, the non-majors on ComiXology (eg IDW & Dynamite) let you download DRM-free copies.

Comixology also supports saving to sd cards (took a while to implement) so that's another reason to use it

Comic Zeal was my first favorite comic reader but the slider killed it for me - it became unnecessarily complicated (or maybe I was just change-resistant).

It was then superseded by Comic Flow, Chunky Reader and now iComics. Maybe I should check out CZ again to see how it is nowadays.

Back