Back to the Future Delorean Build Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonRock

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
I'm slowly building the Eaglemoss Delorean kit and I thought I'd share my experiences building the Delorean for anyone interested. I've tried to document the progress periodically but I admit I've let a few boxes pile up and busting through like 15% of the kit in a weekend. Here's some of the photos:

This is what you have after the first delivery. It's made up of several parts that all screw together. The main rear bumper facade is metal with several plastic parts and teeny tiny screws. I thought I saw some flashing on one of the tail-lights at first, but after looking closer it's actually a DMC logo that's actually molded onto the real tail-light lenses.

One of the fenders come with the bumper parts as well. It's not used until much later but it's a hefty metal part that looks realistic.

Jumping ahead around issue 15-20 you start getting the parts for the engine. Made up of several individual parts that build-up to a decent looking engine. I got the wrong transmission (automatic) but EM is sending out replacements to NA subscribers now that they have the correct parts in so hopefully it's not a problem going forward.

Here's the engine with a little weathering. It really brings it to life! I'm not sure if you guys do much of this kind of stuff to action figures/props but where I come from (model builders) a little weathering can make-or-break a finished kit. The first coat of weathering was kept light so I could gradually add to it as more parts came in.

At this point I've just used a little thinned out oil paint to tone the metal and highlight a few parts.

Here it is fitted to the rolling chassis. It does start looking pretty cool at this point since it's now a recognizable thing (automotive chassis)

Engine has had the exhaust system attach which has also been given some weathering.

The subsequent weathering was done with tamiya weathering masters powder. It works well and seems to work well on most parts. Some of the colors (you get three in the weathering masters kit) stick great to some surfaces and not-so-great on others. Rust seems to be pretty reliable and helps the undercarriage parts stand-out while looking more realistic.

This was a short time-lapse video I made of the frame and suspension buildup.

If you guys have any questions about specifics feel free to ask!

just wanted to say very very cool.Your video is great.. keep it up.Looks like a lot of work hope you are really enjoying it.Would like to see the progress to the finished car.Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I have been enjoying watching it all come together. I'll post more progress pictures as I get more parts added.

Work in the interior has commenced and I'm finding the details pretty accurate so far. One pleasant surprise was finding out the seats are made of vinyl with a foam backing so that they actually feel like real seats…

Most of the assembly of the interior is pretty straight forward. One exception has been the wiring!

To be fair it’s not as painstaking as it looks and the wires on the dashboard are all for decoration (these aren’t the wires the power all the lights.) So you can man-handle them and not worry about breaking anything electrical.

Starting to look real enough to travel through time with.

that is so cool,real vinyl seats and they do look so very realistic.And the wiring looks like it would be a crazy meticulous job to do.
Coming along nicely and looking great.

that is so cool,real vinyl seats and they do look so very realistic.And the wiring looks like it would be a crazy meticulous job to do.
Coming along nicely and looking great.

The wiring wasn't my favorite part to do but it's actually easier than it looks. A few of the wire bundles are already attached to one another so they are fairly easy to do. The ones on the dash weave through the black blocks which take more time to do but give you uniform spacing.

I was picturing it being far more tedious than it really was... maybe 30 mins to do them all.

So I put some self-stick velvet on the floorpan to simulate carpeting - which looks way more realistic IMO but it's definitely a shadow or two too dark. I've found some light grey velvet material that I'm hoping will match the rest of the interior parts better (not interested in doing a total repaint.) There is a guy offering precut grey carpeting kits but the nap (the fibers) are too big to be scale-accurate. That's why I went with velvet instead of felt. The new stuff is coming from China so it might be a month before I re-carpet it - atleast I'll have cutting masks this time (using the old dark-carpet parts should make it pretty easy.)

Got the flux capacitor installed and it is not fluxing properly!

Zh59lcc.gif

So that's an aftermarket flux. The original just lights up blue I think.

That's the original flux capacitor with the standard 3mm bulb led switched out for a 3mm blinking white led. The only changes I made to the kit parts were a little paint here and there.

It's a super easy swap but this isn't one of the complete flux capacitor aftermarket replacements out there. Those are even nicer than mine. This is a cheaper/easier upgrade to the kits stock parts.

Back