A question about LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitFisto

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have seen the movies, but never read the books ( yet ). There is something I have always wondered.

The movie says in the begining that the rings of power were given to the Elves, Dwarfs and Men. I assume Sauron made these rings as well? Since he made the "master" ring I assume he made the all.

Second part of the questions is was it ever said in the books WHO actually presented the rings to the 3 races of Elves, Dwarf and Men?

When Sauron made the rings of power for the Elves, Men, and Dwarves he was a beautiful being and easily conned the people's of middle earth and it was he who presented them with the rings, in person.

Here is lengthy, but entertaining and informative read from wikipedia:

, after lying hidden and dormant for about 1000 years, Sauron reappeared. Having assumed a beautiful appearance and calling himself Annatar, "the Lord of Gifts", Sauron befriended the Elven-smiths of Eregion, and counselled them in arts and magic. Some of the Elves distrusted him, especially the Lady Galadriel in Lórien and Gil-galad, the High King of the Noldor; the elves in Eregion did not heed their warnings, however.

With Sauron's assistance, the Elven-smiths forged the Rings of Power, which conferred great power to their bearers. Unbeknownst to them, Sauron had secretly forged a master-Ring, the One Ring, in the fires of the volcanic Mount Doom in Mordor. This "One Ring to rule them all" had the power to dominate the other Rings and enslave their wearers to Sauron's will. But the Rings of Power were extremely potent, and to accomplish his goal Sauron was forced to place the greater part of his native power into it. Anyone of sufficiently strong will who possessed the One Ring had available to him much of Sauron's own power to dominate, and should the One Ring ever be destroyed Sauron would be reduced and forever unable to take any physical form.

When Sauron put on the One Ring and tried to dominate the Elves, they became aware of his intent and removed their Rings. Sauron responded with military force, initiating the War of the Elves and Sauron and conquering much of the land west of Anduin. This was the beginning of the Dark Years. He laid waste to Eregion, killed Celebrimbor, leader of the Elven-smiths, and seized sixteen Great Rings, previously forged with his assistance. However, Celebrimbor had forged three Rings himself without Sauron's help, and these were saved and remained in the hands of the Elves Specifically: (according to The Lord of the Rings) Gil-galad (who entrusted Vilya to his lieutenant Elrond), Galadriel, and Círdan (who later entrusted Narya to Gandalf). Note that Unfinished Tales and The Lord of the Rings differ on this point (see article Three Rings).

With the Elves near incapacitated, Sauron proceeded to besiege Imladris, battle with Moria and Lórien, and push further into Gil-galad's realm. The Elves fought back, however, and with the aid of a powerful army from Númenor under their king Tar-Minastir, destroyed Sauron's army and drove it back to Mordor. The Númenóreans held the most powerful kingdom of men at this time; they were descended from the Three Houses of the Edain who had helped the Elves in their war against Morgoth, and they lived on the island of Númenor in the seas between Middle-earth and Valinor.

jlcmsu said:
Pretty much answers that. :rotfl

:rock :rock :rock

Here is a cool visual of Annatar/Sauron from the LOTR movies thatPJ never used.

Annatar.jpg

Yeah, I like that pic. The whole back story of ME both what happened before the LOTR and the stuff in the appendicies is just awesome. Reading that stuff just adds to the experience.

Wow, good read. Thanks for the info.

Yes Loki, I know I know. I need to read the books. Maybe I will swing out this weekend and pick them up from a bookstore.

Darth Loki said:
You should be ashamed of yourself :nono :read

I've tried... I've really tried reading the books... I couldn't even get through the Fellowship! But I guess I am too spoiled with the books of Terry Goodkind, he writes so much better! :eek:

The only think wrong I believe is this part

The Elves fought back, however, and with the aid of a powerful army from Númenor under their king Tar-Minastir, destroyed Sauron's army and drove it back to Mordor. The Númenóreans held the most powerful kingdom of men at this time; they were descended from the Three Houses of the Edain who had helped the Elves in their war against Morgoth, and they lived on the island of Númenor in the seas between Middle-earth and Valinor

When the war of the rings started in the second age, the Numenoreans that came to middle-earth were lead by Isildur/Anarion and their father who left Numenor prior to the Valar sinking it. Tar-Minastir was convinced by Sauron to sail to the undying lands, which were forbidden, and as a result all the Numenoreans died except for the ones that left. I THINK that's correct, little rusty on the LoTR history.

Polylord said:
I've tried... I've really tried reading the books... I couldn't even get through the Fellowship! But I guess I am too spoiled with the books of Terry Goodkind, he writes so much better! :eek:

I'm going to pretend that I didn't read you saying that.....

Polylord said:

Goodkind is okay, but let's face it....Tolkien defined the genre. In fact, much of Tolkien shouldn't be pidgeonholed into any genre because his stuff transends it. Goodkind, Brooks, et al, are just variations on Tolkien's themes. Just need to buckle down and learn to appreciate the density of the words and the phrasing for their own sake.

pixletwin said:
:rock :rock :rock

Here is a cool visual of Annatar/Sauron from the LOTR movies thatPJ never used.

Annatar.jpg

Hey Pixeltwin,

That looks really amazing!! You say it was intended for the films, but I'm not familiar with the image--where did you get it from?

--Chris

puppet pusher said:
Hey Pixeltwin,

That looks really amazing!! You say it was intended for the films, but I'm not familiar with the image--where did you get it from?

--Chris

I got it from Wikipedia. But they got it from the Extended ROTK DVDs. Its on one of the extras disks. They show a part of the actual scene there too.

puppet pusher said:
Hey Pixeltwin,

--Chris

When Aragorn is fighting the troll at the Black Gate the troll was originally intended to be the Dark Lord (in the movie) and I believe this was one of the shots they were going to use.

Thanks guys!

Can't believe I missed that. I'm gonna go take another look at that sequence in the ROTK EE DVDs tonight.

--Chris

Back