What can I do about paint staining.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dollmanron

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was watching a review of another figure (QMX Captain Picard) and the poster had a problem with paint staining. He mentioned that he had the same problem with his Winter Soldier Captain America Stealth Strike Suit version, so I went and took a look at mine. Sure enough when I turned the head there it was, I popped it off and it's even worse around the base of the neck; not the socket piece. What can I do to remove it without messing up the paint job on the neck? I don't want to leave the head off the body to keep it from getting worse because of how weird it would look on my shelf.

Last edited:
Re: What can I do about paint bleed.

are you talking about bleeding or staining? bleeding is when paint overpaint/flow to areas adjacent that is not suppose to be painted with that color. you can try alcohol wipes but this may damage the matte finishing. or you can use an exacto knife and carefully carve away the paint (if it hasn't went into the material).

stain is when 2 surface comes into contact and 1 surface transfered it's color to the other. in this case you can wrap food wrappers/bluetac around the contact area to act as a barrier.

Re: What can I do about paint bleed.

I'm going to agree with Potato, the x-acto blade should work if you have a steady hand, or use a really high grit sandpaper (3000-6000) and lightly sand it down. There could be problems, though, with extra pigment and what's below the paint.

Unfortunately this is just one of those things that happens to action figures and dolls. Only way to prevent it is by having an extra layer between the clothing and skin.

It doesn't bother me unless you can see it without disrobing the figure or yanking their head off. I've been lucky so far.

I need to know how to remove staining. The blue from his collar has transferred to his neck.

I would still try a wet sand or magic eraser, just do it with light pressure and try it in one small area. Sounds like the plastic / base material picked up some of the dye from the clothes, so it shouldn't have leeched beyond the surface.

for the figure in question. ; Picard, reach out to QMX customer service. they had sent out replacement heads for free. I never bothered because the second batch of heads I did not feel were painted as good as the first and the collar covers up the stains.

Don't try and remove these stains. they are so deep into the PVC sanding, using goof off or anything else will just tear up the plastic and ruin it further. the stains are there to stay.

this technique used to work phenomenally well for me in the past. haven't tried it in years but unless formulas have changed it should help ya...

take Oxy10, the acne cream (seriously) and dab a nice size dollop on the dye stained area. place it under a light (UV works best but regular bulb is ok). let it sit there under the light and every day or 2 wipe the dried oxy off and apply another dollop. make it thick not a thin layer. and in a few days the stain should be about gone, if it's gonna go at all. in about 8-10 days that's about as good as it'll get from this.

this worked great for dye stains from outfits and cloth. might work for paint. hope it helps!

this technique used to work phenomenally well for me in the past. haven't tried it in years but unless formulas have changed it should help ya...

take Oxy10, the acne cream (seriously) and dab a nice size dollop on the dye stained area. place it under a light (UV works best but regular bulb is ok). let it sit there under the light and every day or 2 wipe the dried oxy off and apply another dollop. make it thick not a thin layer. and in a few days the stain should be about gone, if it's gonna go at all. in about 8-10 days that's about as good as it'll get from this.

this worked great for dye stains from outfits and cloth. might work for paint. hope it helps!

whoever invented this method should win a Nobel prize.

red-mark_LI.jpg

This arrived with the red stains on the right lower check and chin. I tried the benzoyl peroxide 10% treatment a several times a day for a couple weeks. Each time after applying either hairdrying it for a few minutes, rubbing the stained areas, leaving it by the window with direct sunlight, or leaving it overnight before wiping the gel away. Doesn't seem like the red stain is fading away. Any other ideas I should try? The gel is the generic (Equate) brand from Wal-mart but I doubt the brand matters if the solution is 10% BP, or am I wrong? Really appreciate all the help I can get.

View attachment 431680

This arrived with the red stains on the right lower check and chin. I tried the benzoyl peroxide 10% treatment a several times a day for a couple weeks. Each time after applying either hairdrying it for a few minutes, rubbing the stained areas, leaving it by the window with direct sunlight, or leaving it overnight before wiping the gel away. Doesn't seem like the red stain is fading away. Any other ideas I should try? The gel is the generic (Equate) brand from Wal-mart but I doubt the brand matters if the solution is 10% BP, or am I wrong? Really appreciate all the help I can get.

It looks like you're damaging the thin.

Update on that scarlet witch headsculpt staining. I recently been placing it under sunlight for about 30min each time after applying the benzoyl peroxide and it seems to be improving. So this method does indeed work.

Back