Hot toys iron monger hip repair help please

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IANR

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi sorry if this is covered elsewhere i could not find it. when i got my IM the hip cracks were just in the striped area maybe 10mm now a year later they are 30mm & heading down into the thigh armour. hes just been standing normally, so do i open up the crack carefully & apply superglue/epoxy or take the weight off the legs using a homemade crotch stand & avoid any chance of glue mess ? thoughts appreciated

Hi sorry if this is covered elsewhere i could not find it. when i got my IM the hip cracks were just in the striped area maybe 10mm now a year later they are 30mm & heading down into the thigh armour. hes just been standing normally, so do i open up the crack carefully & apply superglue/epoxy or take the weight off the legs using a homemade crotch stand & avoid any chance of glue mess ? thoughts appreciated

Can you post pictures?

A few years back there was quite a bit of discussion on cracking in the Iron Monger thread. Here's the link - search it for the keyword "cracks". But I don't recall anyone else having cracks grow to the extent you're describing.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/marvel-action-figures/100559-mms164-iron-iron-monger-limited-edition-collectible-figure.html?highlight=iron+monger&highlight=iron+monger

hi, thanks i waded thru the archive some posters had long cracks mine are 27mm not many solutions but superglue was mentioned these are best pics i can get using tweezers to show fissure ends.

Attachments

• SL271727.jpg
    SL271727.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 336
  • SL271726.jpg
    SL271726.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 330
  • SL271728.jpg
    SL271728.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 336
  • SL271729.jpg
    SL271729.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 331
  • SL271730.jpg
    SL271730.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 327
  • SL271731.jpg
    SL271731.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 325
I just checked mine, and these look identical to the cracks I have in mine (closer to 20mm in length BTW - definitely < 1 inch). I bought mine used in November of 2016, and to the best of my recollection the cracks are no longer than when I received it. You may or may not find that reassuring, but they seem unlikely to propagate much further (or if they do, it will take quite a while).

Yes, I was going to say that if the pictures were in focus pointing the cracks out with tweezers would have been unnecessary, but instead opted to be nice (figured I'd leave the blunt honesty approach to the pros). Of course, holding the tweezers is probably what prevented their being in focus anyway. :lol

This is a common defect on all Mongers. Apparently they made the socket too small or too thin. It would be nice if someone could make a 3D model of a new socket to replace it.

This is a common defect on all Mongers. Apparently they made the socket too small or too thin. It would be nice if someone could make a 3D model of a new socket to replace it.

Or Hot Toys to fix this issue themselves. This is why I am nearing the end of buying Hot Toys. They pull this crap a lot.

Or Hot Toys to fix this issue themselves. This is why I am nearing the end of buying Hot Toys. They pull this crap a lot.

Given how fantastic this figure is as a whole, I don't think this flaw qualifies as HT "pulling crap". Has anyone ever had it result in a broken figure? If so then you've got a point, but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that. I know that it hasn't affected my figure's posability or how I handle it (like any figure of this complexity, with kid gloves). If memory serves, this defect was discovered by chance by someone and, given its location, the rest of us might still be oblivious if it hadn't been brought to our attention.

IMO - if it were mine I would use superglue - wedge open if possible, use gel type superglue to give yourself some dry time (Bulldog - I don't like Locktite and don't use stuff from Dollar Store). Have some nail polish remover/acetone and bits of lint-free cloth wrapped around toothpicks - or metal nails - or anything you can use as a scraper like bamboo skewers (also useful for applying glue - find at grocery store and u can make kabobs later:cool:) - to wipe/scrape off any squeeze-out. You can break/shred toothpicks/skewers to make a tiny thin glue applicator.
Don't use Q-tips they leave fibers.

If you can, bind w. soft cloths/strips of nylon/padded wire to put a bit of pressure on the parts you are gluing - helps the bond. If I can reach in back of a part where things will never be seen I might put a big smear of glue over the crack too - e.g., make it nice in front of crack but reinforce w. big glue streak all the length of the crack. U can't always do that tho.

Give 24 hours minimum to cure completely before re-display. I usually give a few days. Good luck! U might want to pick up some acrylics and smear over paint crack to disguise. If all that doesn't work I'd pull out the big gun - E6000 clear epoxy. But would try careful superglue first.

You can’t even see it unless you go looking. It is really not bad. Not the ideal situation, but definitely not bad. Not breaking pleather bad.

My only complaint about Monger is how light and brittle he feels, but I've had zero issues with him over the years and he still remains in my top 2 favorite figures.

Back