Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    Super Freak
    Feedback
    Default Re: Patrick Stewart is back as Captain Picard!

I’m still watching, but I’m having a very difficult time getting immersed in it, it’s just not really grabbing me. Everything is moving at a slow pace and quite frankly, is rather boring. I’m only watching at this point because it’s Stewart as Picard, and with the hopes that the next episode is going to be the one that breaks this series open.

Quote Originally Posted by a-dev View Post
    Voyager was set in the same timeline as TNG, albeit in the Delta quadrant as opposed to the Alpha quadrant. The timeline didn't branch off until the Abrams movies. Picard and Seven have never met before but they'd know eachother by reputation. Seven would have memory of Locutus/Picard from when she was in the Borg Collective. Picard would probably only know of Seven since she arrived back in the alpha quadrant with Voyager.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    70 (100%)

I agree, once again.

Surprised to be saying we did indeed have it so much better under Berman and Braga. I wonder what they'd do with the production values of TV today. Imagine those old shows with today's effects, real locations, sets built to today's standards with today's digital expansions, better costumes, better 'angry villagers' crowd scenes, proper music scores.

Not a Star Trek guy but I?m seeing lots of hate for this

Super Freak
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    My wife and I think Picard is better than Discovery (and we like Discovery) I attribute that to the nostalgia factor of Picard and bringing back past characters. But at least Trek fans are less 'hate' filled than Star Wars fans. Star Wars fans can be somewhat unhinged at times...

Super Freak
    Feedback
    70 (100%)
    There seems to be far fewer of us in general. The greater the quantity the more likelihood of there being....riff-raff.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree, once again.

Surprised to be saying we did indeed have it so much better under Berman and Braga. I wonder what they'd do with the production values of TV today. Imagine those old shows with today's effects, real locations, sets built to today's standards with today's digital expansions, better costumes, better 'angry villagers' crowd scenes, proper music scores.
    Yeah, I ponder that also. As far as this series goes, I want to at least make it to the episode where Riker makes an appearance, and see where it’s at at that point and how much of a role he will play.

Quote Originally Posted by ebor View Post
    But at least Trek fans are less 'hate' filled than Star Wars fans. Star Wars fans can be somewhat unhinged at times...
    All too true. Even though I’m not completely thrilled with it so far, this web series by no means ruined Captain Picard for me, TNG, and ultimately, my beloved childhood.

There seems to be far fewer of us in general. The greater the quantity the more likelihood of there being....riff-raff.

And the cursing - I don't even mind cursing, my posts can be variously padded out with ****s - but it's not Star Trek. Cursing had been phased out of the space-time continuum - that's why in Star Trek IV when they travelled back to the 1980s they made a big deal out of the fact that people were using, as they called it - colourful metaphors.
    I missed this post, but that is a good point that didn’t occur to me. I knew the cursing felt a bit out of place for a reason. It really wasn’t in anything Star Trek before so that’s why obviously, but I forgot that this was actually touched on a bit in IV like you say, where cursing was like a completely foreign language to them and intimated that it had been phased out of everyday dialect.

I don’t mind it, it isn’t a dealbreaker for me when it comes to enjoying the series or not, but it does feel out of place for Star Trek.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    70 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar17 View Post
    Yeah, I ponder that also. As far as this series goes, I want to at least make it to the episode where Riker makes an appearance, and see where it?s at at that point and how much of a role he will play.
    Oh I'll keep watching aswell. Something to do. And yeah I want to see if there's anything that can salvage it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar17 View Post
    I missed this post, but that is a good point that didn?t occur to me. I knew the cursing felt a bit out of place for a reason. It really wasn?t in anything Star Trek before so that?s why obviously, but I forgot that this was actually touched on a bit in IV like you say, where cursing was like a completely foreign language to them and intimated that it had been phased out of everyday dialect.

I don?t mind it, it isn?t a dealbreaker for me when it comes to enjoying the series or not, but it does feel out of place for Star Trek.
    And IV still kept it family-friendly. ''Double dumba$$ on you''

So Kirk's crew are totally taken aback by mild linguistic rudeness from the 1980s and in Picard's time - (but only his elderly years for some reason) Starfleet Admirals are telling him to **** off! I feel like this needs an actual in-universe explanation.

Regardless, it's just coming across as juvenile. *Snicker* We curse now (they curse now?!!!*) Huh huh hehe heh hehe. Now all the cool hip young people will like us.

*to borrow the Star Wars gag

Oh I'll keep watching aswell. Something to do. And yeah I want to see if there's anything that can salvage it.

And IV still kept it family-friendly. ''Double dumba$$ on you''

So Kirk's crew are totally taken aback by mild linguistic rudeness from the 1980s and in Picard's time - (but only his elderly years for some reason) Starfleet Admirals are telling him to **** off! I feel like this needs an actual in-universe explanation.

Regardless, it's just coming across as juvenile. *Snicker* We curse now (they curse now?!!!*) Huh huh hehe heh hehe. Now all the cool hip young people will like us.

*to borrow the Star Wars gag
    They think having a show in a streaming service automatically requires it to be for more mature audiences. And to them, that means more violence, cursing, substance abuse and sex. It's annoying TBH.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Although McCoy was pretty well versed in cursing. In III he referred to Spock as a “green-blooded son of a *****,” not to mention all of his uses of damn, dammit, or hell.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    It’s ironic how I said a few days ago that I keep watching with the hope that the next episode will be the one that breaks this series open, because I feel tonight’s episode may have been the “okay, now we’re starting to get somewhere” episode that I was referring to. This is the only episode thus far that actually has me looking forward to the next episode to see what happens. Color me intrigued now.

I also can’t help but think this series, at least this episode, was directed by Quentin Tarantino.