Howard Chan Interview

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j14

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just read this interview from Howard Chan it's from Jenkin Wong on Facebook.

ORIGINAL INTERVIEW
https://starwarsbase.com/專訪-hot-toys-總裁陳浩斌先生──於-acghk-2018-的

Confirmed in development:
Padme, Empire Han and Lando.

Below interview with Hot Toys CEO Howard Chan during ACGHK2018.

You can see below original interview in Chinese or read my "very rough" translation on Q&A.

Q1) any new products during the 18 month gap between "Solo" and next SW movies?
A1) SDCC & ACGHK already displayed many SW prototypes including Princess Leia

Q2) any plan to issue figures from new "Clone War" series?
A2) focus on movie series first

Q3) recent release on prequel figures, is that the way forward?
A3) will continue development in all areas and will explore idea on some new figures

Q4) what's in development?
A4) padme and EP5 Solo, Lando in the works

Q5) Clone troopers @ SDCC all by HT or Sideshow?
A5) HT assist sideshow in development of Troopers 10 years ago. Now HT will focus more them.

Q6) Will all figures display @ show be available?
A6) HT uses SDCC & ACGHK as a platform to communicate with collectors. Will then get feedback and guage market demand before deciding.

Q7) Any plans for 1:1 products?
A7) yes, under progress...

Q8) Most wanted or best figure so far?
A8) Most Wanted... Luke Skywalker from comic Dark Empire
Best figure... Anikan EP3

Q9) anything else
A9) thank you SW fans, will continue to produce more quality SW products.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Q8) Most wanted or best figure so far?
A8) Most Wanted... Luke Skywalker from comic Dark Empire

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

YES! Expanded universe characters > zero creativity Disney garbage. Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, Exar Kun, Darth Revan, Darth Malak. I'd buy them all.

From a realistic standpoint, cannot wait for Lando. ESB Han will sell like crazy, but I will wait for the ROTJ version.

Where's the original interview? 搵唔到嘅?!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

His interviews are always excrutiatingly annoying. Barely gives info. Thanks for sharing though! At least we got a tidbit with Padme, Han, and Lando!

That is about as vague as you can get. He would be a great politician :lol

Answer 4 is the only real answer but he has said the same in the past about figures that have never seen the light of day.

His favourite figure is the 2 rots Anakin ones or hes gotten feedback from fans its the best?

Great figs, both normal and sith eyes version but imo best fig looks to be ESB Vader or Emperor facesculpt. Yondu level on the proto.

Luke pic from that interview link, never read that comic

201808_Dark-Empire-Luke-Skywalker.jpg

Jesus! People were complaining about TFA being too derivative and now we are at the point of praising the most derivative, flat and boring storyline ever with Luke turning to the Dark Side ("completely out of character considering ROTJ" they said about Luke in TFA), the super ridiculous Palpatine clones (Snoke is a Palpy ripoff, they said) and lame World Devastators.
Luke is even dressed like Darth Vader!
YES! Expanded universe characters > zero creativity Disney garbage. Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, Exar Kun, Darth Revan, Darth Malak. I'd buy them all.

From a realistic standpoint, cannot wait for Lando. ESB Han will sell like crazy, but I will wait for the ROTJ version.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

A6) HT uses SDCC & ACGHK as a platform to communicate with collectors. Will then get feedback and guage market demand before deciding.

I guess they are not receiving the feedback regarding the Death Star Trooper.

I guess they are not receiving the feedback regarding the Death Star Trooper.

#6 was the most annoying and backward thinking answer in the whole interview. How can they go mainly by feedback at these cons ? The larger global HT collectors can't even get to these events. In addition probably a large percentage of people looking at HT figures these cons aren't even HT collectors. Ridiculous imo.

Use the internet to get global feedback from a larger specific HT collector base !!!

Obviously not enough "random people" at last year's SDCC didn't ask enough about DSTrooper.

Great way to gauge interest HT ! Real cutting edge market research techniques !

Thanks for the article and translation J14 !

Jesus! People were complaining about TFA being too derivative and now we are at the point of praising the most derivative, flat and boring storyline ever with Luke turning to the Dark Side ("completely out of character considering ROTJ" they said about Luke in TFA), the super ridiculous Palpatine clones (Snoke is a Palpy ripoff, they said) and lame World Devastators.
Luke is even dressed like Darth Vader!

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

The best part of Dark Empire was the first few pages with Luke and the AT-AT. It was all down hill from there... lol. Agreed, the infinite emperor clones and "dark" Luke were stupid. I still had fun reading it, and I'd say it's worth reading if you haven't just for fun - but in terms of story it's in the weaker side of the EU.

#6 was the most annoying and backward thinking answer in the whole interview. How can they go mainly by feedback at these cons ? The larger global HT collectors can't even get to these events. In addition probably a large percentage of people looking at HT figures these cons aren't even HT collectors. Ridiculous imo.

Use the internet to get global feedback from a larger specific HT collector base !!!

Obviously not enough "random people" at last year's SDCC didn't ask enough about DSTrooper.

Great way to gauge interest HT ! Real cutting edge market research techniques !

Thanks for the article and translation J14 !

I think it's pretty likely they're talking about feedback on FB and other sites, and not just the people attending cons.

And we've seen them make changes and tweaks if enough people complain about something, so clearly they monitor all that stuff.

Someone needs to ask Howard when are they going to announce the AVP Chopper Predator 2.0, as hot toys released the Celtic and Scar Predator 2.0 figures about 4 or 5 years ago, and STILL no Chopper Predator 2.0....:(

Back