How long do you wait before opening a collectible?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Or, in other words, what is your collectible opening ritual?

I tend to order most of my collectibles online and get them delivered to me at work via UPS. I have found lately, especially now that I am maxed out on display space, that it is not urgent I open each figure I receive as soon as it arrives. In fact, this wait on my own terms enhances the feeling I get when I eventually do open up the box. It's my choice now, not the delivery guy, nor the manufacturer, in terms of when it arrives on my display shelf. I have also found it is satisfying to know that I have an inventory of unopened figures that will be perfectly fine until I am ready for them.

How about you?

I'm short on display space but I open the figure straight away to inspect for QC issues. Then I check out the likeness. If it's HT I'm invariably disappointed, close up the box, try to forget how much I paid for it and wonder if I'll bother collecting anymore.

Like Lejuan, I usually open pretty quickly to inspect it whenever I can. But in some cases I just let it sit indefinitely. I have one MP Transformer (Grapple) that must have been sitting in the corner for over a year, and I never was inspired to open it. Same for my Ocular Max Hoist.

Depends on many factors: how busy I am, how crowded the study is, is anyone else home, am I in a good mood? On average probably a day, longest was probably a week. With most I’m like a little kid at Christmas :)

When I have time to savor the experience......

Thats usually in a few days till a week. On a day off where I am not ruining around doing other crap.

However, my BTTF Marty is still sealed, waiting for Doc , and since I didn’t like the BTTF2 Doc, he may be there indefinitely ....or until I give up the idea of a BTTF 1 Doc.

Then I have to decide...get inferior BTTF2 Doc....or sell...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Don't let this...Ahem...'important topic' distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

I open within 24 hours! As soon as I can open take my time and not be rushed.

Could be a day, could be a week, whenever I have the spare time and general inclination, really.

With statues I always checked them as soon as I possibly could, in case of damage during shipping. But I'm mostly doing 1:6 figures these days, so unless it is a release with known issues, or the outer box has clearly suffered some abuse during the shipping process, in which case I check the contents as soon as practical, otherwise I'm a lot more relaxed these days when it comes to opening stuff, and will get to it whenever the mood takes me. Which I generally find more enjoyable, and less like a task that needs to be completed.

Immediately if possible. Always before the day's end.

I'm short on display space but I open the figure straight away to inspect for QC issues. Then I check out the likeness. If it's HT I'm invariably disappointed, close up the box, try to forget how much I paid for it and wonder if I'll bother collecting anymore.

:lol :lol

Back