Gimli LOTR Sixth Scale Figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
We've reached a major milestone in the sixth scale world - we finally have a single company that has produced a full set of the Fellowship in sixth scale! Tonight I'm checking out the Gimli from Asmus, and I'm happy to say that he's my favorite in their entire series so far. You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-073018a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

review_gimli_14.jpg

Great review, but why don't you ever take pictures of the figure alongside others? How can you NOT have a full group shot of the fellowship lol.

Sorry, guys, can`t share your opinion - I`m disappointed: he doesn`t look authentic for me: great details but too much plastics!!, head is too large (should this face be John Rhys-Davies?) and hair too thick, colours partly sterile … Gimli is not homogeneously and artificially! (arm and leg armor are poor and chainmail is a joke!)
Seems that I´m the only one with this opinion…
Soon I`ll post my custom figure - so you will be able to compare...

Sorry, guys, can`t share your opinion - I`m disappointed: he doesn`t look authentic for me: great details but too much plastics!!, head is too large (should this face be John Rhys-Davies?) and hair too thick, colours partly sterile … Gimli is not homogeneously and artificially! (arm and leg armor are poor and chainmail is a joke!)

Ya know dude, I read a post like yours and I automatically think troll. New member, low post count, and bashing a figure that everyone so far has thought was great. I just don’t get it.

Ah, thank you - I didn`t know that it`s a forum here for only one opinion. Thought it`s for discussion. Maybe you will get it when stop thinking automatically -just an idea

Well.....post your figure...

A lot of those issues can be solved with some futzing. The head can be lowered so it doesn't look so big against the body. The armour needs a bit of weathering to take the plastic look away and I'll admit the chainmail didn't come out as well as I thought it would but again, I think a good paint wash will bring out all the details. In an ideal world the figure would come out the box and be perfection but not even Hot Toys can execute that as their recent ESB Darth Vader and ROTJ Luke shows and they have had time to perfect those characters over the years! I think Asmus has done a stellar job considering this is the first real attempt at a 1/6 Gimli (not including the old, naff early 00's version!).

A lot of those issues can be solved with some futzing. The head can be lowered so it doesn't look so big against the body. The armour needs a bit of weathering to take the plastic look away and I'll admit the chainmail didn't come out as well as I thought it would but again, I think a good paint wash will bring out all the details. In an ideal world the figure would come out the box and be perfection but not even Hot Toys can execute that as their recent ESB Darth Vader and ROTJ Luke shows and they have had time to perfect those characters over the years! I think Asmus has done a stellar job considering this is the first real attempt at a 1/6 Gimli (not including the old, naff early 00's version!).

I'm not seeing olebienkopp's issues myself, *realistically* at this price point. :dunno

Re head scale etc. as well - didn't see a problem but kinda remember the WETA Chronicles AUJ book and disc special features talking a lot about dwarf proportions - widening the head, making the noses bigger, broader foreheads, e.g. in theory dwarves have heavier bones than humans - I'd have to go look stuff up but willing to bet ASMUS already did, re proportions. Far as I remember dwarf heads, hands were supposed to be more broad. I think the description was they were like little tanks.:cool:

Re other comments depending, the second someone mentions "custom" - well, yeah. Figure a great custom is always gonna beat a more mass-produced figure. But if I had a great "custom" Gimli - and I mean to-scale actual chain mail in stainless or bronze, human hair wig and beard, genuine leather boots, gloves, gauntlets, custom portrait - u can bet I'd charge plenty for that $$$$$. A great painted custom portrait sculpt can cost $500+.

So far I'm blown away by the work ASMUS puts in, detail-wise:clap. Thranduil 2 metal katanas and sculpted base and beautiful sculpt; Gandalf with a great full cloak, great sculpt, extra base, multiple staffs, patterned under-robe; Thorin has both his swords, pipe, great sculpt, and lush hair (as he should), Bilbo has great sculpt, contract, map, pipe, cloak - all these figs have great costumes.

All that at a price many can actually afford. HT doesn't even bother to put that kind of work in a lot of the time - look at CW BP didn't even come with an extra sculpt. How about HT getting cheap w. 10 year Cap and using plastic shields vs. diecast. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to Gimli and ASMUS' future work. ASMUS talks to fans and works hard and seems to actually watch the films they are doing characters for (as opposed to Hasbro, say, which put out the $40 Falcon/Bucky pack that has some weird space gun and Falcon has no pistols). HT does some odd stuff too but u just get to pay more.:cool:

Here he is.

For me personally, am a rooted hair fan so I will stick w. ASMUS fig as-is. For me, the braids are too plastic looking re this custom. Others prefer sculpted hair. Also I think the back braid is too thin; to me Gimli's hair looked a lot bushier like the scene where he tells Eowyn that Aragorn had fallen. Lots of HAIR. IMO ASMUS got it right.:clap
Dwarves are HAIRY.

Gimli_hair.jpg

I am also happy w. ASMUS sculpt esp. since he looks kind of fierce and I'll have him with Thorin, at least for a while.

My only suggestion is to pick up some techniques re working w. chain/rings and weather the rings on his belt and back straps. Edges of mesh at legs look a bit raw but not sure from pic???

IMO too much contrast between very new looking rings and weathered straps/sleeves. Face *may* need a bit more matte finish - hard to tell...also braids seem like one color and real hair has shades/tones. U could try dilute wash in hair in places and weathering the rings on straps a bit - even use a file/sandpaper to give some rough spots. Or switch rings with fake bronze/blackened silver jump rings from craft store.

I was back and forth on whether or not to respond. Your custom looks ok for what it is. A number of members here went the same route as you and made their own before Asmus did him. I think many of them will give credit where credit is due and say the Asmus one is better.

Did you make all the clothes and leather work yourself or did you take and modify a lot of the stuff from the old did Gimli? If all hand made you have some skill. If it's all borrowed from existing sets then it kind of defeats your comment about the Asmus one being too plastic.

You posted to compare the figures. The Asmus one is superior in all manner except for the chain mail. I will give you the edge there.

Just seems to me when you come to a thread to mildly trash a figure and tout that yours is better, it would in fact be better. I don't see that here. Do you really think that yours is better than the Asmus one?

Last edited:
A very good custom indeed but I'd rather have the Asmus Gimli :gimli

Back