Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Freaked Out!
    Feedback
    10 (100%)
    Default Re: This is our independence day!

It is a shame that after all you did for the site to remain an affiliate, Sideshow still cut their ties with it. I feel that their reasoning about you being unable to remove talk of unlicensed figures is quite unfair as you did so much in an attempt to clear away those discussions. Truthfully, Sideshow should have just ended their relationship with the forum at the beginning of this ordeal instead of forcing you to close down the customs section first as that move likely made some premium members leave.

I sincerely hope that things get better for the website now. I've been a member here for quite some time, and I do enjoy my time browsing the site. A lot of good people frequent these forums, and it deserves to be successful.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

I wasn't expecting that.

Bottom line was, custom stuff forces companies to do better and there's no escaping the fact that Sideshow in particular was lagging behind even second tier 1/6 companies (like DID etc) and had been for years. Their most-recent human heads were sub-par... which, yes, you guessed it - is one of the factors that creates a market for custom heads.

More than half of all custom stuff were sculpts or figures that companies either weren't doing or would never do (Blade Runner 82 etc) or sculpts of figures that companies had dropped the ball on - if HT had totally nailed their Han Solo sculpt or Leia dress, would we have needed the JNIX head and the custom dress run? I'm in the process of buying heads to replace the atrocious Han and Luke Hoth heads and even from the $270 Luke Snowspeeder.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCHARTED View Post
    You sure are a fricken piece of work.
    Last edited by hoodonit00; 07-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigMachine View Post
    I'd be surprised if Sideshow doesn't see a dip in sales eventually by losing so many established affiliates.
    If this site was sending any significant sales numbers to SSC, they would've been a lot more cautious in how to deal with it.

I don't think these hobbyist sites were sending anything significant at all. The major affiliates are the comic book blogs and other entertainment networks like IGN and Nerdist. All these blogs that give glowing reviews to every figure they were sent. I remember reading Kotaku's review of the Nathan Drake figure, they didn't mention one negative thing about it. Like that one YouTube channel, that got the 'exclusive' reveal of the Captain America figure. When was the last time SSF got anything special from SSC?

I'd be surprised if SSC wasn't pleased to cut ties with SSF. You think they're happy sharing affiliate revenue with forums that trash their products all day long?? I don't think SSF or OSR or any of the other affiliates that cut ties were supporting SSC in any meaningful way.

Malalaking Gagamba
    Feedback
    55 (100%)
    If anything, custom artists feed more money back into companies like Sideshow and Hot Toys.

I.e. I would NEVER have bought the HT TFA Kylo REN figure if Creg had never sculpted an unmasked portrait and a damaged Vader helmet accessory to go with it.

Ham and Egger MODERATOR
    Feedback
    86 (100%)
    I can't think of a single custom project that would have a meaningful, negative impact on an official release of, say, 700ish plus units (in the multiples of thousands with hot toys). As mentioned, they frequently only serve to enhance official products, and where full figures are concerned, the prices are much higher, the audiences are often very different, and most of the time the figure is nothing a company like ssc or ht would put out anyway . Plus, the run sizes are a fraction of what you get with any ssc or ht release. The unlicensed figures that are mass-produced have to be a much bigger threat to these companies, though even there, most figures are meeting an untapped need.

I agree with the comment above that this site must not have generated enough revenue for Sideshow to give Dave more slack. I'm not someone who gets a lot of utility out of brown-nosing, exclusively positive feedback on products, or anything else for that matter. But if that's all Sideshow wants to support or reinforce, that's their prerogative.

It is what it is. This is certainly further souring my opinion towards Sideshow in general. Their lackluster customer service and shift away from hardcore collectors, trying to attract a more casual base of customers (e.g., Spooktacular, twitter and Facebook based promotions) hasn't done them any favors over the last few years, and this may put the nail in the coffin for me. I'm appreciative of what Dave has done here, and not happy with ssc creating headaches for him here. I'll probably use my rewards points and then stick with BigBadToyStore or Ebay moving forward for most everything I get, which is pretty much just hot toys and qmx at this point. With the sole exception of their Ash figure, I lost interest in Sideshow figures about halfway through their GI Joe run anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Poor form on sideshow's part. Definitely could've handled it better.

Dave, just increase the Premium membership price a little, that'll help with the cost to run this site.

Quote Originally Posted by karamazov80 View Post
    I can't think of a single custom project that would have a meaningful, negative impact on an official release of, say, 700ish plus units (in the multiples of thousands with hot toys). As mentioned, they frequently only serve to enhance official products, and where full figures are concerned, the prices are much higher, the audiences are often very different, and most of the time the figure is nothing a company like ssc or ht would put out anyway . Plus, the run sizes are a fraction of what you get with any ssc or ht release. The unlicensed figures that are mass-produced have to be a much bigger threat to these companies, though even there, most figures are meeting an untapped need.

I agree with the comment above that this site must not have generated enough revenue for Sideshow to give Dave more slack. I'm not someone who gets a lot of utility out of brown-nosing, exclusively positive feedback on products, or anything else for that matter. But if that's all Sideshow wants to support or reinforce, that's their prerogative.

It is what it is. This is certainly further souring my opinion towards Sideshow in general. Their lackluster customer service and shift away from hardcore collectors, trying to attract a more casual base of customers (e.g., Spooktacular, twitter and Facebook based promotions) hasn't done them any favors over the last few years, and this may put the nail in the coffin for me. I'm appreciative of what Dave has done here, and not happy with ssc creating headaches for him here. I'll probably use my rewards points and then stick with BigBadToyStore or Ebay moving forward for most everything I get, which is pretty much just hot toys and qmx at this point. With the sole exception of their Ash figure, I lost interest in Sideshow figures about halfway through their GI Joe run anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Bravo to this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    My Shapeways Shop: Hidden Content

My customs Facebook page: Hidden Content

Super Freak
    Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    It is a shame that after all you did for the site to remain an affiliate, Sideshow still cut their ties with it. I feel that their reasoning about you being unable to remove talk of unlicensed figures is quite unfair as you did so much in an attempt to clear away those discussions. Truthfully, Sideshow should have just ended their relationship with the forum at the beginning of this ordeal instead of forcing you to close down the customs section first as that move likely made some premium members leave.

I sincerely hope that things get better for the website now. I've been a member here for quite some time, and I do enjoy my time browsing the site. A lot of good people frequent these forums, and it deserves to be successful.
    ^ what he said!!!
    Current Pre orders: ROTS Obi Wan, Darth Maul, AOTC Yoda, AOTC Dooku,

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post

there were still significant amount of unlicensed discussion on the general, aliens & video games section which is probably where most amateur viewers browse.