SW Custom Figures Thread Closure Mop-up

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaliBane

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is there another place where people should post one-off custom Star Wars figures? In the main SW figure thread?:dunno

I thought you could post them as long as you weren't trying to sell?

It's all gone. Even Chakaman's thread, which was one of the coolest on the whole forum, and to my knowledge he never once offered anything for sale in his years on this forum. His whole thread totally gone.

If there are any mods left here, it would be good to know where actual one-off custom figures are supposed to go.

My response to Sideshow Collectibles for this is already a done deal - I will never buy another figure from them, despite having bought dozens of figures in just the past 3-5 years from Sideshow, probably one every 3 months on average (I had THREE of the $270 Luke Snowspeeders at one point, but recently resold one, and in just the past month I bought SSC Han Carbonite, SSC TIE Pilot and the HT Luke Jedi from them - probably $650+ worth.)

I will be calling or chatting with them to let them know the reason I am severing all customer ties with them.

"ABOUT THE FREAKS
Sideshow Freaks AKA Sideshowcollectors.com is not owned or operated by Sideshow Collectibles, Inc. or www.sideshowtoy.com."

If the board isn't owned or operated by Sideshow, why are the customs (to be sold or not sold) such a big deal?
Not a narky comment, just curious.

This is pretty stupid. My custom thread (like others) was completely made up of licensed product, that was modified or kit bashed with other licensed product. I had years....YEARS of documented progress, photos and recipes/tutorials. What a crappy thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, can't believe the entire custom thread is simply toast. What a joke. Not sure what to do here? I already quit buying directly from SSC but unfortunately even buying from other retailers like Timewalker or BBTS puts money in their pocket. I suppose I'll stop buying Sideshow's in house stuff, bye bye Mythos Kenobi...CANCELLED! Could quit the forum but I enjoy reading a lot of what folks post here. This is really bizzare and a lousy thing to do.

This is pretty stupid. My custom thread (like others) was completely made up of licensed product, that was modified or kit bashed with other licensed product. I had years....YEARS of documented progress, photos and recipes/tutorials. What a crappy thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the decent thing would have been creating a new thread in the Customs section a week or so ago along the lines of "ATTENTION: SW CUSTOMS THREAD TO CLOSE 7/3/2018" or something - let people know what's happening and what can be done to save their thread contents.

The way this was done feels like a dawn raid or something - totally ignoring the fact that many (most) people had done nothing wrong and in some cases had spent years contributing majorly to the forum.

I'm pretty angry about threads like Chakaman's and McHaleyArt's and DarnessPredator's that were really inspiring for customizers being lost forever - dozens or hundreds of pages worth.

I can only guess that this "sudden/no warning closure" was part of Sideshow's letter of demand. Not sure why else it would have been handled in this way. And why Dave or whoever did this didn't simply go through the top 100 or so threads in the section to see if there was solicitation or sales happening and post the standard warning of closure, then close them a week later. It would have taken maybe an hour to do, but that's nothing compared to the thousands of hours of work that's lost.

All of it lost, simply to placate a company that's slowly fading out of 1/6 anyway.

I'm also shocked by this, part of the fun of collecting is customizing the imperfections out of our figures and these custom threads were an oasis of information. I understand closing the for-sale threads because they were copyright infringement, but customized or kitbashed figures are a whole other deal. We already paid for these figures and they are OUR property, therefore we can do with them as we please. The worst part is that customizing actually makes them more sales lots of the time because we buy 2 figures to make a better one. Now that Hot Toys has the Star Wars license the only reason I buy a Sideshow figure is for parts, but they can kiss that money away. I know that this will sound exaggerated but eliminating those threads is like burning the 1/6th library of Alexandria. Such a shame...

Couldn't agree with you more Tali - what a monumental disappointment.

A lot of my enjoyment on SSF's came from watching what these amazingly talented people were able to achieve. Going on the "journey" with them as they brought their magnificent creations to life was so inspiring.

Sad day...

To be perfectly honest the Star Wars customs page was the only reason I visited Freaks. I started off with Dorgs and Enauds stuff.

After 8 - 9 years of being on here I guess this is another site I won't visit anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

To be perfectly honest the Star Wars customs page was the only reason I visited Freaks. I started off with Dorgs and Enauds stuff.

After 8 - 9 years of being on here I guess this is another site I won't visit anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just wait. Something is a'brewing right now. The forum is changing. Check the announcements thread. I think we'll be seeing it back in good time.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to step out of the shadows to say thanks so much for the kind words. I have been extremely depressed about this CustomApocalypse and haven't even wanted to visit the site.

It is safe to say that I have purchased hundreds of official parts and/or full figures to use on my custom characters. I would probably buy official versions of my characters, but no one makes them. So bashing is my only option. I have so many 1/6 scale figures from my multiverse that I have considered making a large stadium seated area like in Thor Ragnarok, watching a main event. I have been thinking of ideas where I could get many of my characters in one photo.

I will probably keep my Facebook page updated.

Thanks again everyone.

I'm also shocked by this, part of the fun of collecting is customizing the imperfections out of our figures and these custom threads were an oasis of information. I understand closing the for-sale threads because they were copyright infringement, but customized or kitbashed figures are a whole other deal. We already paid for these figures and they are OUR property, therefore we can do with them as we please. The worst part is that customizing actually makes them more sales lots of the time because we buy 2 figures to make a better one. Now that Hot Toys has the Star Wars license the only reason I buy a Sideshow figure is for parts, but they can kiss that money away. I know that this will sound exaggerated but eliminating those threads is like burning the 1/6th library of Alexandria. Such a shame...

Yeah, the decent thing would have been creating a new thread in the Customs section a week or so ago along the lines of "ATTENTION: SW CUSTOMS THREAD TO CLOSE 7/3/2018" or something - let people know what's happening and what can be done to save their thread contents.

The way this was done feels like a dawn raid or something - totally ignoring the fact that many (most) people had done nothing wrong and in some cases had spent years contributing majorly to the forum.

I'm pretty angry about threads like Chakaman's and McHaleyArt's and DarnessPredator's that were really inspiring for customizers being lost forever - dozens or hundreds of pages worth.

I can only guess that this "sudden/no warning closure" was part of Sideshow's letter of demand. Not sure why else it would have been handled in this way. And why Dave or whoever did this didn't simply go through the top 100 or so threads in the section to see if there was solicitation or sales happening and post the standard warning of closure, then close them a week later. It would have taken maybe an hour to do, but that's nothing compared to the thousands of hours of work that's lost.

All of it lost, simply to placate a company that's slowly fading out of 1/6 anyway.

What a let down. As mentioned the custom thread was a place where I could see some truly skilled creations; bashed and fabricated, amazing and inspirational pieces. It got me back into painting and modeling which I dropped almost 2 years ago due to an increasing work schedule. SW figure thread to see what was coming out and then the custom thread to see how collectors came to perfection or near perfection with those releases as well as seeing the older figures before I got into the 1/6 game. Very disappointing. I hope they bring it back.

Watch your mouth! Don’t you know “custom” is a bad word now?

Man, it certainly seems that way. I can kind of understand going after the main Customs/Interest section, but the SW Customs thread was about as innocent as you can get. And I can only remember a couple people actually selling anything in there.

Seriously this is the most stupid thing I’ve ever seen done in this forum. Are SSC & Hot Toys really honestly afraid of competition from a few fans making tiny amounts of custom items in their homes? It just reeks of juvenile insecurity...

So sad.

Thanks for the kind words guys. This is pretty lame.

I had almost 9 years worth of stuff in my thread. I never tried to sell anything. I enjoyed looking back from time to time on things that I did years ago. It was fun to see how much improvement I made over the years. Some of my early stuff was bad. Haha.

Hopefully some re-organizong is in the works here.

Back