Collecting just got more expensive in Australia

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Mo

Super Freak
Reaction score
From July 1st 2018, we now have to pay 10% GST on anything we import into the country, we used to have a $1,000 threshold but the Aussie retailers campaigned the government to introduce this to stop us buying on line.
I got an email from SS confirming the changes and that they will be charging this new tax on all our orders.
Its crap, and will definitely make me think twice ordering direct now from suppliers overseas.

Was wondering what the different taxes are in other countries, do you have any tax free threshold?

Germany is pretty nasty too.

We have a general Import tax that equals our VAT of 19% for all items with a value > 22€ (value = itemprice + shipping + any other costs such as paid Paypal fees, so it is basically what you pay is the value).
Further there may be an individual customs duty for items with a value > 150€. Sideshow statues for example cost another 2%. The 2% are based on value (see above) + the 19% import tax. So you pay not 21% alltogether, but 21,38%.
Starting July we may get the stupid US penalty duty of another 25% on top thanks to that tupet wearing idiot over there. These will most likely be charged on SSC statues aswell, so we will be at 46,38%.

From July 1st 2018, we now have to pay 10% GST on anything we import into the country, we used to have a $1,000 threshold but the Aussie retailers campaigned the government to introduce this to stop us buying on line.
100% same things went within Russia this year, tho the talks about it were in the air for a few years now. From 1000 eur to 500. And they plan to lower it to 200 in two years.

Add this to tis years crazy currency exchange (doubled during two last years) and you get a pretty damn horrible state to be a collector of imported dolls. I'd make a joke about it, but... yeah, it's not funny. Years of plannin' that went into my collection got flushed.

Its crap, and will definitely make me think twice ordering direct now from suppliers overseas.

On the one hand, yeah nobody wants to pay 10% more. But on the other, that means the retailers who forced this onto you win.

I'd be torn on which way to go.

Canada has a tax free threshold of something like $25. People have been trying to get the government to raise it for years but it's still there.

Join the club, we're used to customs fees on anything coming from outside Europe in the UK, and soon it will apply to anything imported from Europe also.

In Aus are they just trying to reduce imports to strengthen their own economy by encouraging you to buy from within the country?

Join the club, we're used to customs fees on anything coming from outside Europe in the UK, and soon it will apply to anything imported from Europe also.

In Aus are they just trying to reduce imports to strengthen their own economy by encouraging you to buy from within the country?

Nobody cared about it until this one guy, Gerry Harvey, kicked up a stink about it when the Oz dollar was around parity with the US dollar. This is a retailer who made his wealth by running smaller stores out of business on the back of cheap imports. One of his claims is that foreign companies get a 10% free-kick over local businesses - but most consumers figured that this was evened out by shipping costs and that local businesses should be more competitive regardless.

So now with a dollar that’s dropped 30% since Harvey started lobbying the government, consumers are going to get hit with an extra 10% on everything bought from overseas where it used to apply only to goods valued over $1000.

The general consensus here is that Harvey is a c **t.

Stupid Harvey Norman, I hardly if ever shopped there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i believe all ceramic figurines / statues are now 50% tariff from the US into europe .

I will start off by apologizing if this isn't the right location for this post. I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find anything for my specific questions and then I found this. Was about to order hot toys overseas and was wondering if it's possible to ship now that there is a pandemic going on?
Depends on the country you're ordering from. I recently purchased from HK and there is no regular airmail to Aus right now, so had to pay for express shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can anyone who has had Hot Toys delivered from Sideshow to Aus share how much Duty and GST were charged?

Sideshow automatically shows a 10% tax on SRP upon check out, but Aus policy says 10% GST should be applied on [SRP+Shipping+Duty].

I'm worried about being charged additional fees once the item gets here. Thanks!

Back