1/6 Which 3PO AND R2?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65500

Freakalicious
Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to Hot Toys (only been collecting for a few months) but at this point most of the main gang from the OT is locked. But outside of a yet to be announced Lando, I'm missing R2-D2 and C-3PO. I've looked around and seen a few versions, the sideshow ones, the Tamashii Nations ones( A tad outside my price range), the Hot Toys R2, so on. So which version do you guys recommend or do you guys think eventually Hot Toys will tackle OT versions of these two,since they did make an R2 but it's sorely lacking in accessories.

As Mr Gar mentioned. I'm also in a similar situation with regards to these figures and I've looked at the SSC versions. The Tamashi look nice but very expensive so I'll be waiting for the inevitable HT versions.

Been happy with Sideshows.

Will prolly get the classic HT versions when they come out. Maybe. If I still like Star Wars at the time.

I have a HT R2, while lacking in accessories, I like the dome and the weathering. Waiting for a 3PO now. The Tamashii one is nice but I want a weathered 3PO. I might have to wait a while as the HT 3PO teased is the TFA version and I want the OT version.

I wonder if they'll scrap the TFA version due to their lack of TFA sales? I don't want a chubby threepio with a red arm anyways.

I have the SS ones and I think they look great. Whenever HT gets around to releasing OT versions; I'll take a look, but seeing as they charge $200 for Yoda and Rocket, I doubt I'll want to pay what they're gonna be selling them for.

The Sideshow C-3PO is really great, I also like how they made it so you can just tap the back of his head to turn on the lights for his eyes.
The R2-D2 is pretty good, it's a good choice if you don't like the weathering on the Hot Toys R2
The Tamashii C-3PO is great as well, but it's perfectly clean and the joint pistons are a bit thick because it's die-cast.
The Tamashii R2 is not that great, mainly because they chose to put some bolt details there that 95% of the R2 props lacked.

Yeah so far i'm thinking Hot Toys R2 and Sideshow 3PO. Tamashii 3PO is better I think, but far too clean for my liking. The big thing holding me back is that HT R2 is $200+ and comes with nothing, that's insane. If they make a HT for both I assume they may at least include display stands this time around. Just gotta be patient I guess.

I'm pretty happy with ssc r2. I had a chance to get the tamashi 3po for 50% off but didnt and sort of regret it. The sideshow version looks ok except the thumbs so i never got that one.

I have the Hot Toys R2, and will get their version of 3PO, assuming he doesn't have a red arm and completely gold leg. The HT R2, though labeled as being from the Force Awakens, has sounds from the original film, and is pretty dang accurate to the older films, with some very minor exceptions as I understand it. And his stand thing just says Star Wars. So, it's pretty easy to use him as a stand-in for an OT R2.

I would go Tamashii for both.

Their C-3PO, I think it is quite obvious, that figure is the best C-3PO ever made.
Their R2-D2 is not such a home run, but I have had both the Hot Toys and the Tamashii, and I think the Tama is the best one.

Hot Toys R2 has a beautiful die cast dome, but IMO it is slightly undersized relative to the body, the sounds are weak, and the light system is a mess. All projectors turn on at the same time, and you cannot have the lights on without the projectors too. That said, Tamashii's light system is a joy to use, especially that random blinking... you just need to use some light filters to make the lights smoother. Easy mod. Also the Tamashii's body-dome proportions look better to me overall. The only drawback is the not die cast dome... sometimes you'll miss that, but overall I like it better than the HT.

Get the Tamashii and weather them, if you dare, for spectacular results. :lecture

Or maybe wait for HT to fix the lights systems and other issues in their inevitable next release (Last Jedi R2?, ANH R2?).

The Tama R2 has its issues, but is still the best pairing for the Tama 3PO imo.

The Hot Toys R2 has a nice dome, but I was underwhelmed seeing it at the LCS. The SS R2 is a way better option dollar-for-dollar.

If I was US based I'd have taken that. I'm not sure I'd ever display Artoo with any accessories... He's perfectly fine just as a base model for me.

Back