Displaying with cats in the home...(detolf? billy? other?)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clobbersaurus

Freaked Out
Reaction score
So I have two cats, both just over 10lbs each. I was thinking of buying a detolf, but they both like to run around, and of course jump on everything, so I am worried that one of them is going to be chasing the other or just plain run head-on into a detolf and shatter glass everywhere, or maybe jump hard on top of it and knock it over. I haven't owned a detolf before, so I don't know how they hold up to any kind of pressure like that. I was also looking at the billy bookcases from IKEA that do not have the glass doors, but I'm assuming the cats will try to jump on the shelves and knock over my figs(mainly just 1/6 stuff).

So I was wondering if anyone could share any thoughts, experiences, suggestions on the detolf, billy, or maybe some other display option. I'd rather have something without glass on it just to be safe, but if I can find something that I am comfortable with then I an not opposed to glass.

Thanks!

I have wall length floor to ceiling open shelves and 2 cats and never had a problem.

But of those, prolly the detolf if you have a girly man sized collection.

I don't think your cats would knock over a detolf or hit it so hard that the glass would break. If you're worried about it falling over and have the room, I'd get two or three and stand them together.

I don't think your cats would knock over a detolf or hit it so hard that the glass would break. If you're worried about it falling over and have the room, I'd get two or three and stand them together.

Really? Since the class is so clear, I thought one might run into it after seeing a Vader figure from across the room and think he is going to attack her, so she lunges at him and smashes through the door, or maybe just hits it hard enough to knock the door off and send it crashing down. You think a lunge at it would still keep it safe?

Right now my collection is so small that I can fill maybe one detolf, but I like that idea. That is one of my top options now. Thank you!

Really? Since the class is so clear, I thought one might run into it after seeing a Vader figure from across the room and think he is going to attack her, so she lunges at him and smashes through the door, or maybe just hits it hard enough to knock the door off and send it crashing down. You think a lunge at it would still keep it safe?

Right now my collection is so small that I can fill maybe one detolf, but I like that idea. That is one of my top options now. Thank you!

I have four cats and they’ve never run into any of my detolfs hard enough to even wobble the figures inside without stands.

I like the Billy, but doesn't not being able to see through on the sides take away from the looking at the displays?

Personally I'd prefer Besta. Since you were explicitly mentioning Detolf and Billy, I was assuming that those are your options and you'd be fine either way.

I dismantled all my Detolfs (12) in favor of Besta. Add lights to the sehlves and the display looks great (same for Billy btw). Check out the sub-section "how to display" in "show your shelves". There are threads for Billy, Besta and Detolf that will give you ideas.

Personally I would never go back to Detolf because space and display possibilities are extremely limited. The space for 3 Detolfs can be used better. All the figures I had in 12 Detolfs is now displayed in 3 1x3 Bestas. The space 12 Detolfs needed is now filled with 6 1x3 Bestas, so my "display space ability" has doubled. Plus more flexible height and width.

Personally I'd prefer Besta. Since you were explicitly mentioning Detolf and Billy, I was assuming that those are your options and you'd be fine either way.

I dismantled all my Detolfs (12) in favor of Besta. Add lights to the sehlves and the display looks great (same for Billy btw). Check out the sub-section "how to display" in "show your shelves". There are threads for Billy, Besta and Detolf that will give you ideas.

Personally I would never go back to Detolf because space and display possibilities are extremely limited. The space for 3 Detolfs can be used better. All the figures I had in 12 Detolfs is now displayed in 3 1x3 Bestas. The space 12 Detolfs needed is now filled with 6 1x3 Bestas, so my "display space ability" has doubled. Plus more flexible height and width.

I'm leaning towards a Billy right now after you mentioned the space issue with the Detolfs. I'm finding it difficult to find exactly which Besta you are talking about on the IKEA site. Thay have many styles, but I don't see any sort of case version. Does it have a specific style name?

I have looked through the "Show Your Shelves" posts, and some displays are incredible, but I figured I'd ask opinions here because I have my cats.

Back