Anyone with a Form2 printer ever printed hands?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwedishHeat

Super Freak
Reaction score
We just got a printer at my office, and the tech team was bragging about how they could print in a flexible resin, I was looking at the Form2 website and their flexible resin looks pretty darn flexible.

I had the idea that I could print out gloved hands.

I'd tried casting hands before in a flexible resin (one of Smooth-On's offerings) and it would still crack and break off.

I have no sculpting experience, but if something like this was possible, I'd love to give it a try.

I have a Form 2, it works great but I've never used the flexible resin so I don't know how it compares to the hands you get with figures. If you want them on pegs then you'll need to do some tests to see how big the peg holes end up being. Just due to the nature of how it prints a hole will often be a bit smaller than you design.
Durable resin might be best for a figure hands though, compared to the flexible resin I'm not sure that flexible is designed to work well with something thin like fingers.

Okay, cool, so do you do the sculpting yourself? What program do you use?

The guy I used to work with used Zbrush, the folks at work use Modo. Is there any difference between the two?

I use 3ds Max, but I'm a 3D artist so I use it because it's what I know how to use.
3ds Max isn't for sculpting though. Most people use Zbrush, but it's a very advanced program and is more than what you need, it's also got a very awkward workflow to get used to. Modo is a general 3D software, it can do sculpting but it's not made specifically for that purpose. You may want to look into Sculptris, which is free and owned by the company that makes Zbrush, and it should be easier to work with as a beginner.

We just got a printer at my office, and the tech team was bragging about how they could print in a flexible resin, I was looking at the Form2 website and their flexible resin looks pretty darn flexible.

I had the idea that I could print out gloved hands.

I'd tried casting hands before in a flexible resin (one of Smooth-On's offerings) and it would still crack and break off.

I have no sculpting experience, but if something like this was possible, I'd love to give it a try.

I know Sean Dabbs has sculpted and printed hands in the flexible resin for the Catwoman figure that was/is on the customs boards. I mention this just to let you know it DOES work. The Catwoman hands have quite a bit of fine detail and it all seemed to come through well on those hands.

I use 3ds Max, but I'm a 3D artist so I use it because it's what I know how to use.
3ds Max isn't for sculpting though. Most people use Zbrush, but it's a very advanced program and is more than what you need, it's also got a very awkward workflow to get used to. Modo is a general 3D software, it can do sculpting but it's not made specifically for that purpose. You may want to look into Sculptris, which is free and owned by the company that makes Zbrush, and it should be easier to work with as a beginner.

Sculptris then is the program for beginners - but does that mean it is not capable of advanced sculpting work? For example would someone be able to produce a Hot Toys-beating headsculpt using that program?

Sculptris then is the program for beginners - but does that mean it is not capable of advanced sculpting work? For example would someone be able to produce a Hot Toys-beating headsculpt using that program?

I would say it's possible but would be difficult. The toolset in Sculptris is very limited compared to what you would have available in ZBrush. What I have found is Sculptris is a good way to get your feet wet... to try your hand at digital sculpting and get used to the way things work. If you start to feel comfortable using it then I think it's easier to take the ~$900 plunge into Zbrush. Without Sculptris to test out you have to just kind of decide blindly if Zbrush is for you, and I think that's a tough thing to do depending on how serious you are about digital sculpting.

Thanks DoggieDoc. Yeah definitely sounds like I should figure out Sculptris first. I didn't know a proper 3D sculpting program would cost almost a grand :lol That'd be a big waste of money if I found I just couldn't do it.

On a different subject I'm still very much interested in those 1:10 scale barrels from T2. When you can spare the time I'll take 3 of them.

I would say it's possible but would be difficult. The toolset in Sculptris is very limited compared to what you would have available in ZBrush. What I have found is Sculptris is a good way to get your feet wet... to try your hand at digital sculpting and get used to the way things work. If you start to feel comfortable using it then I think it's easier to take the ~$900 plunge into Zbrush. Without Sculptris to test out you have to just kind of decide blindly if Zbrush is for you, and I think that's a tough thing to do depending on how serious you are about digital sculpting.

Do you have any favorite resources to get started learning Sculptris? I downloaded it earlier, and just started messing around, and it's pretty fun.

Considering I am a complete novice, where do I start?

Back