POP TOYS Jeanne d'Arc & armoured horse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Woke up to find this in my Facebook notifications this morning:

10.jpg
10.jpg

Having dug out my books today I think this is pretty accurate for 1430.

Inspirations for the chosen style of armour have come from the 1999 Milla Jovovich film, The Messenger.

388722d1525071060-pop-toys-1-6-jeanne-darc-armoured-horse-jovovich_joan_of_arc-jpg

388724d1525071086-pop-toys-1-6-jeanne-darc-armoured-horse-milla-joan-arc-jpg

388726d1525071113-pop-toys-1-6-jeanne-darc-armoured-horse-milla-jovovich-joanofarc-armour-jpg

388728d1525071144-pop-toys-1-6-jeanne-darc-armoured-horse-joan-arc-costume-armour-jpg

388730d1525071168-pop-toys-1-6-jeanne-darc-armoured-horse-joan-arc-movie-armour-jpg

Would love it if they included a second sculpt resembling a short-haired Milla.

As for the armour itself I prefer it to what I've seen of CooModel's releases, which have a broader, more 'heroic' appearance.

The armour POP Toys have Jeanne in looks pretty realistically proportioned. The kind of field armour in which a knight/man-at-arms could actually leap onto his horse in!

If you can cut the hair, there's still Milla head sculpts available on ebay. They're made by VeryCool. I have a few of them myself. They look good.

If you can cut the hair, there's still Milla head sculpts available on ebay. They're made by VeryCool. I have a few of them myself. They look good.

I have a couple of those.

Pop Toys also answered somebody's question regarding the sculpt:

John Delamere Will the face be based on somebody who played Joan?
Manage

· Reply · 2d

郁波 milla~1

Manage

· Reply · 1d

Still, it might only be one sculpt with long hair. But that would be slightly strange.

Watching the film again at the moment. I'd forgotten that she had the long plaited pony tail when she first appeared in armour.

Some notes on the armour the figure is wearing, the depiction in the Luc Besson film, and that possibly worn by the historical Jeanne:

She's wearing an incomplete harness/suit of armour. There's no breastplate, only a plackart strapped to the collar. The film shows the arrow piercing her through the exposed mail. Some accounts stated it went as deep as six inches between her neck and shoulder. She also wears no vambraces or rerebraces (upper and lower arm protection).

A couple of things emerged from a scan through various writings this morning.

Jeanne's first suit of armour:

The Dauphin provided her with armour in the spring of 1429 that cost one eighth that of the most expensive armour of the time. At her trial she stated that she had been offered a complete suit of harnois blanc (armour without any embellishment) suitable for a man-at-arms.

This harness was offered to the town of Saint Denis in ex voto after the failed attack on Paris. From that time on Joan wore a suit of armour taken from a Burgundian, the value of which remains unknown. (Source: Olivier Bouzy,"Jeanne d'Arc, Mythes et Réalités").

(Later in film she's wearing a more substantial suit of armour, i.e., the Burgundian armour).

The term “harness” designated the diverse garments of war; to be more precise, one spoke about “of the head” or “of the arm.” Every piece was independent, as attested in the account books of the armories, from whom pieces were ordered separately: a leg harness, an arm harness, a gauntlet, and so on. Jeanne also wore a ...jaseran[a short mail hauberk].... She also wore a brigandine, an armed vest made of a great number of small plates of metal joined by rivets, the heads of which formed a kind og geometric design. The right arm was protected in a lighter fashion than the left, so that a sword or lance could be wielded more freely. The armor of the left arm, by contrast, was folded back to assist in holding the horse’s reins.

We know that the first suit of mail-the blanc harnoys made for her in Tours-had been left be her in the Abbey church of Saint-Denis after the failure of her attack on Paris, and its subsequent history is unknown. We are ignorant of what happen to her second suit of armour. It has been estimated that the purchase of a complete set of military equiment corresponded to two years’ wages for a man-at-arms. It took 8 weeks for the Jeanne’s armor to be made and 600 years later it still takes 8 weeks.

Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) - Suit of Armour

I came across a note about her armour from Jean de Dunois, which would give an historical reason for it being depicted incomplete.

Dunois (23 November 1402 – 24 November 1468), nicknamed the "Bastard of Orléans", was the illegitimate son of Louis I, Duke of Orléans. He lead the defence of the city during the siege, and joined Jeanne on the campaigns of 1429.

"In the dawn the English came out of their tents and arrayed themselves in order of battle. Thereon the Maid rose from bed, and for all armour wore a coat of mail" (jaseran), says Dunois: she could not bear her heavy plate armour.

The source is the 1908 biography by Andrew Lang, The Maid of France, Being The Story Of The Life And Death of Jeanne d'Arc (Chapter 13).

This is purported to be the helmet she wore at the Siege of Orléans:

helm_01_xl-784x1024.jpg

The helmet shown here–a bascinet of the type worn during the 14th and early 15th centuries–is one of these works fraught with historical associations. It is believed to be the helmet that Jeanne d’Arc wore at the Siege of Orléans (1430), one of the turning points of the Hundred Years’ War. It is reported to have hung above the main altar of the church of St. Pierre le Martroi in Orléans (a short length of chain is still attached to its peak): it was considered to have been given as an ex voto by the Maid after she had been wounded at the siege by a crossbow bolt. There are marks of crossbow bolts on the helmet.

Jeanne made use also of a capeline, a steel hat equipped with a wide brim, frequently used when scaling fortifications. But her contemporaries remarked that she often went about with her head bare, which was hardly surprising since military commanders of high rank often wore a simple hood or a hat rather than a helmet.

POPTOYS 1/6 Saint Knight—Charge version/Triumph version/War horse EX019-A&EX019-B&EX019-C

POPTOYS 1/6 EX019-A Saint Knight Charge version

List:

Female head with simulate hair
Short hairstyle head
Female body
Hands*4(two outstretched steel hands + two holding steel hands)

Clothes:

Brown cotton
Brown pants
Upper hauberk
Helmet
Gorget
Plate armor
Arm armors
Cuisse
Dark leather armed belt
Dark leather belt

Weapon:
Flag
Flagpole
Cross sword
Scabbard

Other accessories:
Black bracket

Note: 80 percent of metal and PVC

POPTOYS 1/6 EX019-B Saint Knight Triumph version

List:

Female head with simulate hair
Short hairstyle head
Female body
Hands*4(two outstretched steel hands + two holding steel hands)

Clothes:

Blue shirt
Brown pants
Upper hauberk
Helmet
Gorget
Plate armor
Arm armors
Cuisse
Dark leather armed belt
Dark leather belt

Weapon:

Flag
Flagpole
Cross sword
Scabbard

Other accessories:

Black bracket

Note: 80 percent of metal and PVC

POPTOYS 1/6 EX019-C Saint Knight—War horse

List:

White war horse
Silvery horse helmet
Silvery horse breastplate
Brown leather cloth
Leather saddle and harness

Note: The figure in the pictures is only for displaying. It is required to buy separately.

Forgot to update with the prices.

OneSixthKit:

EX019-A Saint Knight Charge version: $180 with shipping

https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1469

EX019-B Saint Knight Triumph version $180 with shipping

https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1470

EX019-C Saint Knight—War horse $145 with shipping

https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1471

TNS Figures has the same prices for A and B, but no listing for the horse.

Following the BBICN Forum somebody posted this photo of Frémiet's 1874 sculpture of Jeanne, which is located at the Place des Pyramides in Paris:

101323v4z4r2m2rz2irjrj.jpg

Another statue by Frémiet, from 1890:

402kRFe.png

It looks like the inspiration for the missing breastplate in The Messenger.

Not bad. I’m looking forward to receiving both versions and the horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=349757&extra=page=1

[FONT=&#23435]This time I received two versions, opening the small cardboard box outside, it is the official box.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]This time, because the product is a large area of ​​alloy armor, it can still be clearly felt in the hands.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]The design of the box is very good, the front of the box is a bit like the style of oil painting, and the back is a list of products.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]There is no significant difference between the two versions of the package, the difference is only the metal labeling at the corner of the box.
[/FONT]
140148glczjc42zrczcmrc.jpg
140152z1h88fh1q13iobdd.jpg
[FONT=&#23435]In the movie, Jude was a long hair in the early stage, and it was cut into short hair in the later stage for the battlefield.
[/FONT]
POPTOYS [FONT=&#23435]is equipped with double-headed carvings for both versions, which can be replaced during the game.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]The head carving is personally considered to be more beautiful than the characters in the movie.
[/FONT]
140238rxq3rjzr7agm77ux.jpg
141804d5hpzpgs5hdrxrnr.jpg
140326gy33czv0rrrev6ro.jpg
[FONT=&#23435]The two armor conforms to the prototype of the movie, the biggest difference is the breastplate part, and the other accessories are basically the same.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]The main part is all metal.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]What is more worrying is the age of the straps. There is still the possibility of damage outside the year.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]But this time I saw a replacement patch in the box, which is a good idea.
[/FONT]
140446hsr3v3zzu13xrxtz.jpg
140526m5rnaef9s29b7gzr.jpg
140537zi9oo8w6wswi6669.jpg
140710b1s8es5848dl2d0m.jpg
[FONT=&#23435] There is nothing to say on the clothing,
POP [FONT=&#23435]'s housekeeping skills.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
141637n9k4kp18gcvwcp3p.jpg
140746s9pmee1zyq9o7ewc.jpg
[FONT=&#23435]In terms of weapons, it is equipped with a cross sword. The main body is made of all-alloy material, which has a lot of weight and detailed description.
[/FONT]
140816gg6gzzo265aar3qq.jpg
140820zprpn3r01h2y0o1z.jpg
140822khycl8youq3eo838.jpg
[FONT=&#23435] - "For France!"
[/FONT]
140918qs3mfmgmt3fbc6wm.jpg
[FONT=&#23435]The white warhorse is also suitable for female characters. The armor of the horse is made of soft rubber and metal.
[/FONT]
142307fhofmmccwcy3wycz.jpg
142326m9at5jwn3n88brw3.jpg
142343ehp0pch0xwlptaae.jpg
[FONT=&#23435]All the upper body, still have to present the final renderings, you can share a product together
[/FONT]
143533fmbqbpp49zzbibx0.jpg
143540nm277fl8sndbzvn2.jpg
142716gw9hpwwwen8uew87.jpg
142732ody2mdnjjm6yjti5.jpg
143156khyfh186hnyzyq72.jpg
142746pkjbawkbx8zjxatu.jpg
142754t7axraxrrj788a7j.jpg
142802k6g6iugzpjrijj6j.jpg
142811ld11ywk11wxm1gm3.jpg
142818m8pyjsn1cmam8je1.jpg
142825dcgg2scq2447clpc.jpg

POPToys attached faulds to the plackart, but in the film Jeanne never had them with her first armour.

maxresdefault.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-01-23-07h21m16s314.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-01-23-07h29m11s340.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-01-23-07h30m46s092.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-01-23-07h32m20s019.jpg

Joan of Arc costume armour.jpg

You could unbuckle them, though it would leave straps hanging from the plackart that she didn't have. Without them she would probably sit on the horse better.

She also doesn't have the mail coif that's seen hanging from the back of her neck.

Back