SS v. BBTS (pros and cons - shipping, etc)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTinez

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I'm looking for some general advice and opinions on ordering Hot Toys from the two sites. In the past, I've only bought from BBTS. However, I PO'd the movie promo version of IW Cap from SS because I wanted the exclusive extras. To me, the pros of SS are the payment options, exclusives and reward points. However, the shipping seems to be a lot higher and variable.

BBTS has flat $4 shipping and the ability to save even more on shipping with the POL. I don't mind the couple week delay in getting the figures in stock behind SS and there's no NRD. They tend to sell out faster though. Can you combine shipping at SS? This is a big pro for BBTS.

I guesss I'm looking for input before possibly switching some of my PO's from BBTS to SS. BBTS sold out the Iron Spider so I also PO'd him from SS. I'm considering this mostly for the payment options since it's better to spread out the costs rather than take them all at once. It might be worth it though as I build reward points.

Any thoughts, opinions or feedback on your personal experiences are welcome and will be greatly appreciated!

I use Sideshow for most my stuff. Between coupons, flex pay, rewards, and customer service I find it the best option. Shippings a bit more and the cost is usually a little more. So there’s a trade off. But I get at least one totally free figure or statue a year due to rewards. I think last year it was four free figures. The occasional 20 or 50 dollar coupons are nice as well. Flex makes me feel like I’m getting more for my money as well, even though it’s just the same.

The rewards you earn are (mostly) offset by the high shipping rates, and BBTS has $4 flat rate shipping, so in that regard (shipping/reward points) it’s a wash.

SS does offer flex pay (as stated above) as an option, so that’s an advantage. Customer service - may give that to BBTS by a hair, but SS is still top notch IMO.

You also get the occasional reward point code (especially around Spooktacular, you can really rack them up then), and use that toward the cost of a figure.

Ultimately I’d probably give the edge to BBTs in terms of shipping costs & customer service, but SS has the edge in all other categories.

Is this a spin-off from the other threads locked in a BBTS v. SSC battle? :lol I'll add my 2 cents:

- I used to buy everything from SSC but then they decided to start charging me over $20 to ship a standard figure box that used to be around $13-14. Now I moved over almost all my purchases to BBTS. Can't beat $4 flat shipping.

- As far as exclusives go and what not, if you look at most of the upcoming and released figures, HT has switched over from the "SSC exclusive" model to a "Standard/Deluxe" model that BBTS also gets. However, this is not 100% implemented yet, as the Mark VI diecast and the movie promo Cap are SSC exclusive.

- SSC offers payment plans yes, but they also charge NRDs and depending on the figure, they can get kind of pricey. A lot can change between prototype and final product and if you change your mind, you lose out on money at SSC but not BBTS. At the same time, don't be an a**hole and pre-order everything at BBTS even if you don't want it because there are others who would like to pre-order who actually DO want it.

- I have never had any issues with my figures, *knocks on wood*, so I can't speak on the customer service aspect of either BBTS or SSC.

- SSC can get early shipments of product but in general, you will still be waiting quite a bit more with BBTS. Its not something you can predict. If you want to be the first to have a release, outside of importing from China through Timcent or some other HK seller, SSC will always have it the soonest.

For my needs, I give the edge to BBTS. Cheap shipping, no NRD, can get just about every release SSC does, and having the figure fast is no big deal to me so I can wait for BBTS to get their stock in.

P.S. - BBTS still accepts Amex which SSC stopped doing a while ago. That was another factor for me as well. Amex is my main figure spending card. lol.

To answer your question, I prefer BBTS compared to SS because of the lower cost of shipping and double boxing (I believe that BBTS does that). Based on my personal experiences ordering from Sideshow, there is no double boxing and shipping costs are higher. I am not sure if BBTS offers double boxing but that is a plus in my opinion (all things equal) since it helps keep the Hot Toys brown shipper clean after it arrives.

Personally, I will only order from SS if the item is an exclusive since I have no choice. Although you were only asking about SS and BBTS, I want to share that I personally prefer to order from Timewalker Toys (TW) for the following reasons:

1) It can be cheaper to buy from them due to the up-front discount and reasonable shipping charge. For example, Iron Spider has a pre-order price of $249.99 while Sideshow offers it for $259 plus shipping while BBTS has it for $259.99 plus $4 shipping. Depending on your location and the size of the item ordered, the shipping cost of pre-ordering Iron Spider from TW can be $10 (you can get an estimate by placing the item on your shipping cart and entering your location. Thus, it is cheaper to buy Iron Spider from TW compared to SS and BBTS in this case.

2) Free combined shipping for orders worth $350 or more. TW is willing to hold your items for several months (but it depends on the size so it is best to ask them before placing your order). Thus, you can get free shipping if you intend to buy at least two Hot Toys figures... and who can resist the temptation to only buy one once you start collecting? :) They have more details on their free shipping offer on their website.

3) TW double boxes so you will receive the HT brown shipper inside another box. From my experience, this is beneficial since I like to keep the brown shipper box from HT to protect the actual box of the product. Receiving it inside another shipper box ensures that the HT shipper box is clean. This is also useful when it is time for you to sell the item.

4) TW has excellent customer service. Based on my experience, the owner, Steven Allen, is the one who answers emails sent to them through their website. He offers personalized service with a smile. You can see for yourself by sending TW a question through the email form on their website. I usually get a response within 1 to 2 days (including weekends) but that is not a guarantee. My point is that I am very happy with their customer service.

Is this a spin-off from the other threads locked in a BBTS v. SSC battle? :lol I'll add my 2 cents:

- I used to buy everything from SSC but then they decided to start charging me over $20 to ship a standard figure box that used to be around $13-14. Now I moved over almost all my purchases to BBTS. Can't beat $4 flat shipping.

- As far as exclusives go and what not, if you look at most of the upcoming and released figures, HT has switched over from the "SSC exclusive" model to a "Standard/Deluxe" model that BBTS also gets. However, this is not 100% implemented yet, as the Mark VI diecast and the movie promo Cap are SSC exclusive.

- SSC offers payment plans yes, but they also charge NRDs and depending on the figure, they can get kind of pricey. A lot can change between prototype and final product and if you change your mind, you lose out on money at SSC but not BBTS. At the same time, don't be an a**hole and pre-order everything at BBTS even if you don't want it because there are others who would like to pre-order who actually DO want it.

- I have never had any issues with my figures, *knocks on wood*, so I can't speak on the customer service aspect of either BBTS or SSC.

- SSC can get early shipments of product but in general, you will still be waiting quite a bit more with BBTS. Its not something you can predict. If you want to be the first to have a release, outside of importing from China through Timcent or some other HK seller, SSC will always have it the soonest.

For my needs, I give the edge to BBTS. Cheap shipping, no NRD, can get just about every release SSC does, and having the figure fast is no big deal to me so I can wait for BBTS to get their stock in.

P.S. - BBTS still accepts Amex which SSC stopped doing a while ago. That was another factor for me as well. Amex is my main figure spending card. lol.

I started ordering from sideshow in 2007, a couple of hundred figures later and now I've switched to bbts for the reasons NoHeadStark gave, i have dealt with ssc customer service though and at least a few years ago, they were great. I dont know if thats changed or not since then.

About the reward points....when i was charged 10 or 12 for shipping, i didnt have a problem with it, but the reward points arent free, its actually factored into the mark up sideshow does, which is why you see slightly cheaper prices at other websites.

The straw that broke the camels back for me was being charged $19 for shipping yoda. I just felt that was pretty unreasonable. If it was that price and it was 2 day shipping, then i could almost understand, but it was 7 business days to get from california to omaha nebraska. That was when i felt i was getting ripped off and the rewards werent really worth it.

$4 shipping would save more money than,i would accrue from awards points when shipping is added into ssc price.

And what about the exclusives? Honestly most of the exclusive items I've bought are still in the box unless it was a separate head. Who cares about a gun? And besides, those pieces are often recast and sold on onesixthkit.

As for the NRD, its a bigger issue for sideshow products. I've never cancelled a hot toys order. I have cancelled some sideshow orders after seeing in hand pics however. Thats probably why we dont see in hand or final photos from ssc before the figure is released very often. So now when i buy a figure like thor, i have to prepare myself to be disappointed because I'm sucked in for the exclusive with the NRD knowing that the final figure could be way off from the prototype, but i knew this when i ordered. Luckily there are aftermarket bodies available that arent too crazy pricewise. Ssc usually make top notch clothing, my concern usually relates to paint on the faces being too thick or sloppy.

Living in CA, BBTS is the easy choice for me:
•I don't have to pay sales tax
•$4 shipping instead of $20+
•free double boxing

Those 3 variables alone add up to more savings than the SS rewards I get per purchase.

Unless it's a SS Exclusive, I'm going with BBTS.

^^^What SoGS said:

Living in CA, Alterego is the easy choice for me:
I don't have to pay sales tax
•AE gives rewards
•free double boxing
Those 3 variables alone add up to more savings than the SS rewards I get per purchase.
Unless it's a SS Exclusive, I'm going with Alter Ego.

Eh, I'm not concerned as much with saving pennies here and there. I go with SS for rewards, customer service and they offer up almost everything I collect. Sure the rewards and higher shipping may cancel each other out, but it is nice when SS has the double rewards and free shipping offers. Plus it's nice to have all those reward points accumulate and then get your item for 'free'...

So SS unless it's something they don't carry then it's usually BBTS or Cotswold.

^^^What SoGS said:

Living in CA, Alterego is the easy choice for me:
I don't have to pay sales tax
•AE gives rewards
•free double boxing
Unless it's a SS Exclusive, I'm going with Alter Ego.

Rewards you say? Might have to look into that.

I'm in CA as well and I echo what SoGS and Kibishii have said.

I've yet to deal with either BBTS or SSC's customer service, though.

I'm in CA and go the BBTS route because of sales tax and free double boxing as well (unless it's an exclusive). The CS is better IMO with SS as I had a few issues with HT replacements with BBTS. I wish SS would move out of CA so I can order from the exclusively.

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems like a lot of personal preference depending on what matters most to each collector, but I’m definitely going to look into TW.

Well... I just looked at the Nightmare Joker at BBTS and it requires a $104 NRD... double what Sideshow is asking.

Well... I just looked at the Nightmare Joker at BBTS and it requires a $104 NRD... double what Sideshow is asking.

They typically do that for the higher priced figures/statues, from what I've noticed. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they start incorporating a NRD more regularly tbh.

Sometimes I get the feeling people order from sites without a NRD just to say they PO'd it, knowing they're going to cancel anyway.

I used to always go with Sideshow but the shipping prices have gotten out of hand. The lack of a double box is the real deal breaker though. I received a pretty damaged Hot Toys box and they refused to send a new box as they don’t consider it part of the figure. Instead, they offered me the option to pay 10.00 more on top of their ridiculous shipping to double box. Since then, BBTS for everything other than exclusives. The lack of 20.00 didn’t help the situation either.

I am located in Southern California, and prefer to go with BBTS instead of SS because of tax and the rate SS charges for shipping. I’d only order exclusives from SS, which are not available elsewhere.

I am familiar with UPS rates because of the company I work for uses UPS. To give you an idea of how much actual shipping costs, I sold and shipped a diecast Warmachine Mark 1 double boxed with signature confirmation( extra fee ) to Oregon and it cost me $15. I was charged $19.91+$10 for packout on the diecast Mark 46 from SS.

I’ve heard complaint from a local dealer that does business with SS, and they also complained about the shipping costs they were charged by SS.

I’ve been getting my figures from another local dealer that offers me 5% off on Hot Toys preorders, and no shipping or tax. This is quite a bit of savings just on the Infinity War figures, hehe.

I think getting replacement parts from BBTS and elsewhere will be a lengthy process, because they will have to contact SS and wait for the replacement parts. On top of this, SS does take a while to respond.

While I agree Sideshow charges more on shipping then others..it’s not that different then current rates from ups or USPS. I just shipped a watch in its little watch box to Cali from Michigan and it’s was 18 bucks with a few hundred insurance through ups. I shipped a load of figures to Florida through USPS and it was 70 bucks for essentially three hot toys sizes. Bbts is eating that extra cost. Makes sense to compete with Sideshow. But it’s not gonna last forever. At some point that will change.

Back