Anybody use MoviePass or Sinemia?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on Sinemia, just wondering if anybody on here uses either of these services and if you've had good or bad experiences with them?

Anybody who doesn't know, they are services that allow you to pay one Monthly ($7 to $8) price to see either free 2D movies as often as once per day (Movie Pass) or 2 tickets per month, (Sinemia) but you can use one of them for 3D and/or IMAX.

My mom has movie pass. It works fine for non-blockbuster movies. You can’t purchase your tickets until the day of the movie so no advance tickets work. Plus you have to be physically at the theater to buy the tickets. No online ordering. So don’t hope on using it day of for any big movie hoping for good seats left. I don’t personally think it’s worth it because of the hassle of the ticket buying process, but my mom feels she gets enough use out of it per month to have it pay for itself.

How these companies stay in business is beyond me.

MoviePass seems to have a lot of issues from what I see on Facebook. My theaters are generally empty, so it sounds like a good deal. Didn't know that it was anything per day. I had heard you could see a movie once and that's it.

My mom has movie pass. It works fine for non-blockbuster movies. You can’t purchase your tickets until the day of the movie so no advance tickets work. Plus you have to be physically at the theater to buy the tickets. No online ordering. So don’t hope on using it day of for any big movie hoping for good seats left. I don’t personally think it’s worth it because of the hassle of the ticket buying process, but my mom feels she gets enough use out of it per month to have it pay for itself.

How these companies stay in business is beyond me.

I've heard that both companies are operating at a loss right now, but supposedly they believe enough people will join and not use tickets regularly combined with advertising money to eventually make a profit.

The wife and I have Movie Pass. We have a small glitch now and then but for the most part it's been a great deal. Neither one of us have to see block busters the first couple weeks so that's not an issue. We've been seeing 1 to 2 movies a week now for months. I can't see it staying afloat though as it's one of those too good to be true things.

I gifted my SO with Sinemia. We have an Imax theater and like that we can order tickets in advance with it. We see about 2 or 3 films a month so it works out pretty well for us.

So let me see if I get it. Let's say I go see A Quiet Place today, so I can't see it tomorrow?

It takes a couple of weeks to get your movie pass card in the mail. Once you get that you could see A Quiet Place once in the theater. The ticket itself wouldn't cost you anything other than the 7-10 monthly fee you pay. You could see Black Panther the next day and Rampage the day after that and so on and so forth. The wife and I are you 1-2 movies a week and all we pay is the monthly fee. We seen A Quiet Place on Friday and Blockers on Saturday. We go a half hour early and have not had a problem getting the seats that we want.

ETA Now of course you can see any movies that you may have seen and paid cash for a ticket using your movie pass once you have it. Also the difference in price of the monthly fee is due to when we first started it we paid 10 bucks each. My wife is a bargain shopper and she found a price of 7 bucks each per card per month.

I use movie pass.. So far so good. I dont tend to go on opening night unless the movie is Avengers big.. So it works perfectly for me. 6.99 a month for as many movies as you can go to.. Pretty nice deal. Perfect for crappy horror films like Truth or Dare.. Which I will be seeing later this week.

I have MoviePass. Generally it works as advertised. However I ran into an issue yesterday, an inherent flaw in their system. I wanted to go see A Quiet Place at 3:05, so I showed up at the theater at 2:45, and they only had one seat left near the front, because it was a reserved seating theater, but that was not disclosed anywhere in the app, and the rest of the showings that day were also booked up.

So, that was bit frustrating, but there are theaters, like Studio Movie Grill where you can reserve your seat from within the app, and those work well. It's just that you have to "know" which theaters will work with the program. It's just kind of an unspoken rule that theaters that do reserved seating don't work with the app.

Though the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that more and more theaters might move to reserved seating because it makes it harder to use MoviePass ... we'll see.

I don't understand why movie theaters would hate moviepass since they get their money anyway. I hear AMC wants to ban it from their theaters. Makes no sense.

Cinemark came up with their own deal per month, but it totally sucks.

https://cinemark.com/movieclub

I don't understand why movie theaters would hate moviepass since they get their money anyway. I hear AMC wants to ban it from their theaters. Makes no sense.

Cinemark came up with their own deal per month, but it totally sucks.

https://cinemark.com/movieclub
We've drifted toward Regal because AMC have been difficult in the past. The thing that gets me is theaters admit their profits come from concessions. With movie attendance down and theaters showing the movie no matter the attendance, you would think they would want to fill the seats even at no cost and make the money on concessions.

I think, in general, this is just how 'disruption' works. Somebody comes in and messes with the way theaters have traditionally done business and they're not used to it, so they don't like it.

The other aspect of it to is that that's more discounted tickets they have to sell. Sure they don't make much, if anything, on ticket sales, but now it's even LESS than they made before, so of course they're not going to be happy about it.

Always wondered why theaters didn't sell things like T shirts, hats, posters for big releases. I know when I was a kid I would have blown tons of money on anything Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Might be a way to help with revenue.

Then again, if a soda is $6, how much would a shirt be!?

It seems that MoviePass is now only 4 movies a month. At least that's what it's saying on their website.

​Anyone still holding the 30 movies a month passes, now you can't see the same movie twice. I don't look for them to be around much longer.

Back