Media Shenmue I & II HD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2GZAeGB

Now I can see what all the fuss is about. I only played one of them briefly at a friend's house like 20 years ago.

Perfect timing. Been sooo long since I played the originals, I’m gonna need a refresher for the third one. Probably wont be buying this, although I really want to. I’m still so behind in games I cant afford to play more than once.

Shenmue echoes real life and tries to remain grounded in it. For you newcomers, please be patient with it. The beginning of Shenmue is mostly detective work in your small town in Japan but things eventually escalate as you get involved with the local gangs.

Shenmue II ramps the action up once you get to Hong Kong and Kowloon and have to deal with more unsavory characters and an even more dangerous mafia. I'm gonna post a few vids to help some of you see the light and get hype.

One of my favorite QTEs in Shenmue II:

Definitely play the game with Japanese dub and English subs. Unless you want the horrible English dub to take you out of the story, I'd suggest playing with the English dub during a second playthrough to laugh at your heart's content. The Japanese dub is phenomenal and more genuine in comparison.

Shenmue started the whole QTE craze and I think God of War and Resident Evil 4 helped push it more into the mainstream. If awesome QTEs from the game that started them aren't really your thing, there's actual skill involved too:

Every character has their own schedule and home they return to. Meaning, even the NPCs have purpose. Some more than others, where they'll teach you new moves. For example, Jianmin in Shenmue II who teaches you the Iron Palm. Start at 5:25

Some may say or think it's stuck in its time, that you had to be there for it to have been great. While true, it's also false. The game still remains cinematic and contains some great action, story, and music even by today's standards. They'll be updating the UI and controls for modern players in the HD release, but don't let old graphics or a slower pace hold you back. There's still no other game like it.

Did I mention the music is epic?

Shenmue is a series I've been fascinated by, but unable to play, for nearly 20 years. At last, can't wait to get it (and hopefully I'll get over the dated game mechanics quickly).

Shenmue is the pioneer of interactive openworld genre. Yakuza series is like the spiritual successor. Attention to detail is really good for back then. This is good so people could know how good this game is. I played 1 and 2 but haven't finished 2. I hope Shenmue 3 is as good as the previous games.

This is the game that started the trend. I so loved my Sega Dreamcast when this was released I couldn’t put it down. So glad they are re-releasing it in HD easy buy for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I can see what all the fuss is about. I only played one of them briefly at a friend's house like 20 years ago.

Shenmue is a series I've been fascinated by, but unable to play, for nearly 20 years. At last, can't wait to get it (and hopefully I'll get over the dated game mechanics quickly).

Yeah I'll be picking this up. Never played them before so I'll get to see what the hype is about.

Don't let hype kill the experience for you. It's a slow burn grounded in a realistic setting of 1986-1987 Japan. Go in objectively as you can and be patient as you play as the game isn't 100% action all the time. More like 60% Story/Exploration/Daily Life and 40% Action whereas Shenmue II is more 50/50. Too many times I see people complain about how slow it is or how boring the real-life stuff is and they never just sit the hell down and enjoy the whole ride.

I also can't stress enough to play the game with Japanese dub and English subtitles.

Sent from my 404SC using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the best ost’s in video game history. And yes the Eng dub is terrible lol. Dont know why I never thought to switch it over. I was young.

My brother replayed 1 recently and although it did some much for open exploration, etc. when it came out, it's very dated now. I'll still replay them though on the pc.

Don't let hype kill the experience for you. It's a slow burn grounded in a realistic setting of 1986-1987 Japan. Go in objectively as you can and be patient as you play as the game isn't 100% action all the time. More like 60% Story/Exploration/Daily Life and 40% Action whereas Shenmue II is more 50/50. Too many times I see people complain about how slow it is or how boring the real-life stuff is and they never just sit the hell down and enjoy the whole ride.

I also can't stress enough to play the game with Japanese dub and English subtitles.

It’s the Japanese culture aspect that intrigues me the most! I expect the ‘90s gameplay stiffness will be most annoying thing, but I’ll try to prepare myself for that.

And thanks for the tip regarding the Japanese dub/English subs - I’ve heard some of the terrible English dub in the years since release!

Definitely play the game with Japanese dub and English subs. Unless you want the horrible English dub to take you out of the story, I'd suggest playing with the English dub during a second playthrough to laugh at your heart's content. The Japanese dub is phenomenal and more genuine in comparison.

Shenmue started the whole QTE craze and I think God of War and Resident Evil 4 helped push it more into the mainstream. If awesome QTEs from the game that started them aren't really your thing, there's actual skill involved too:

Every character has their own schedule and home they return to. Meaning, even the NPCs have purpose. Some more than others, where they'll teach you new moves. For example, Jianmin in Shenmue II who teaches you the Iron Palm. Start at 5:25

The Shenmue creator coined the term ‘Quick Time Event’ but it had been around as a video game staple for over a decade.
Classics like Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace were all about QTE.

The Shenmue creator coined the term ‘Quick Time Event’ but it had been around as a video game staple for over a decade.
Classics like Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace were all about QTE.
100% true.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

"Yeah they probably will, but let them. There's a target audience for slower, spiritual type games, as the modern love for indie games, walking sims, Telltale Games, and adventure games shows beyond a doubt. People expect games to be in your face when Shenmue isn't that, it's an experience; you're developing with this person."

Last edited:
Back