Hot Toys: Star Wars or Marvel?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65500

Freakalicious
Reaction score
So hello everyone, i'm brand new to the site and have a question. So I've wanted to get into buying Hot Toys since the first avengers film but due to my financial situation never went ahead with it. I once again was tempted when star wars hot toys started coming out at a higher frequency, Now, many years later I feel like i'm at a point where I can finally go ahead and start buying. But i don't want to go crazy just yet, I just wanna build a small collection to start. I have loved both of these franchises forever and picking between them in practically impossible, so i'm looking for opinions as which I should go for. For people who have them, which figures did you find more impressive, or in your opinion are the better purchase (more fun better accessories, whatever.). I'd love to get both, but i wouldn't be able to justify spending that much as of now and i'm not really the type to mix and match. Thanks for any replies.

I started out mainly collecting MCU figures but I’m starting to shift my collection to Start Wars. I’m still getting the MCU figures but now I’m not collecting everything like I use to. My focus may change again once I get caught up on all the SW I want. The only advice I can give you is what theme means more to you and what you think you would enjoy the most while your collection is on display. Prices and how much room you have for you collection also play a factor. Honestly brother you should just get what makes you happy. Good luck

Collect what you like most and what you can afford. Read online reviews, look at figure photos, watch youtube reviews, and have a dedicated budget for the collection and also a display space for them.

Like others have stated, choose the property that means more to you. You'll find yourself enjoying your purchases more when there is a deeper connection to the source material.

That said, here is my take on the difference between Marvel and Star Wars Hot Toys. I started out exclusively collecting HT Star Wars figures. Been reading comics most of my life, but Star Wars is simply closer to my heart. As my collection grew I started to notice that the collection seemed a little drab in color. I know most will find such an observation as inconsequential, but the clothing and armor in Star Wars just didn't allow for much visual stimulation when looking at a large overall collection. Not to mention that the more traditional material look required to make accurate Star Wars costumes meant some figures couldn't really escape the "doll look". Those in armor didn't really have this problem, but that meant it's the main cast that can have this issue.

Marvel characters on the other hand benefit from all the same detail HT can bring AND provide visual stimuli. Their costumes are diverse, super detailed, and full of color. And thanks to the modern (often more slim fit) look of their outfits, the "doll look" seems to be less of an issue. Rooted hair aside of course.

I doubt most collectors let such observations influence what they collect. I don't blame them. You love the character/property or you don't. However, it is something I noticed while collecting, and how my collection looks as a whole when displayed is important to me. So that's my 2 cents.

Running a bit of my own on Luminous's thoughts, I have found that a detailed likeness of an actor's face is more visually interesting to me than a masked character and a more pose-able, articulated figure is funner than one I have to keep in a relatively straight stature. This may require more of a granular look at the reviews and what people are saying in the forums for each figure you're thinking of getting but could lead you down a better road overall.

As someone who primarily collects Marvel and Star Wars Hot Toys, I was going to suggest mix and match...until you said you're not into that. Just do what feels right and just makes you the happiest. Or if you really want both, set theme limits. Maybe you only want to collect Jedi characters(like Luke, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Vader etc) from Star Wars and you only want to do Captain America and his supporting cast from Marvel(basically any version of Cap and then maybe add in a Falcon and/or a Winter Soldier. Maybe a Black Widow). That way your collection doesn't looks so all over the place. Personally, I don't have a problem mixing and matching, I just display them separately . I Love Star Wars. I love Marvel. So...I just base it on the individual character/figure and then worry about it later. I am mindful of what pairs well with others. For example, I'm excited about eventually ordering Emperor Palpatine. He will go well with the Anakin and the Jedi Luke I have ordered and with my eventual Darth Vader(once they make the version I want. I'll order him too). But let's say I only had Han and Leia and maybe Chewbacca. Palpatine would look a tad out of place.

Hope that helps some but ultimately just buy ones that make you happy :)

SW Hot Toys will hold their value better, as there's 40 years of hardcore fandom to appeal to and they represent the seminal characters in their original incarnation. The Marvel characters have a long history too, of course, but their likenesses are attached entirely to the current crop of superhero movies - which are subject to revision and change as each new film is released. Although hot at the moment, the Marvel dolls won't hold on like their SW counterparts.

Now, one might argue that resale value and appreciation might not be an issue when beginning to collect, but it will become one in time - if only because we're talking big $$$ for these figures (especially when collecting an entire run). Even hardcore fans must surely have moments where they look at their crowded Detolfs and think: that's $10,000 sitting there.

Why limit yourself to one or the other? As others have said, collect what YOU like and can afford (and don’t get cuaght up in all the hype about any one particular character or figure). You don’t have to be a completist unless you want to be; it’s YOUR collection and it should be fun to you. The same goes for which version OTHERS might feel are the best. As the saying goes: Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one, and they all stink. You’ll see a LOT of posts here that run the gambit from simple “I like it” to over nit-picking on the tiniest of minutiae that the average collector isn’t going to give a crap about. If one particular version of a character suits your fancy more than another, who gives a s$&t what everyone else thinks (it’s your collection, remember); about the only thing you really need to concern yourself with is possible quality control issues. A lot of companies often use cheap materials to produce these things for a higher profit margin, and Hot Toys is no exception, be more wary of that, rather than what others think about likeness, etc.

God whatever you do don't buy them all at retail. When it comes to Marvel in particular, they make multiples of the same characters over and over. I've picked up half of mine on sale because I waited. For the odd one or 2 I missed because they sold out (Doctor Strange) I'll just see if they'll make another one down the line with the next movie, which would probably have more accessories and be an improvement over the first.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back