Do you miss those days you couldn't give 2 cents about them Boxes?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
Like you bought a toy just for the toys. The Box served it's purpose in attracting buyers and ensuring the content is not damaged. Once you purchase it and bring it home, you tear open them boxes and take out the contents, the box goes into the bin without 2nd though. Even those paper manuals are expendable.

Not sure since when, folks beginning to treat the box as part of the toy. Not sure what was the reason that started all those "Completionist" fade but a ding on the corner of the box is like a ding on the toy itself. Maybe toys were getting more expensive that you start to pay attention to the packaging boxes? Coz if you say boxes been getting nicer i don't agree since back in those days you need attractive packaging to attract buyers compared to now toys sell themselves rather than relying on boxes. Folks preorder toys before they even know how the box looks like. In Short, toy box today serves sole purpose of holding the contents.

I find taking care of the box takes away the fun on the toys themselves. i mean if you just throw the boxes away you can focus on playing with the toys, rather than putting the box aside carefully, some even go to the extent of wrapping the boxes up so they don't absorb moisture and away from sunlight. The fact that boxes takes alot more space than the toys (which is a luxury nowadays) and is bothering many collectors means shows that Boxes are nothing more than liabilities. yea you can say it helps moving for larger statues but for smaller stuffs they just eat up spaces.

But who knows, as trees become less, we might start to keep all the router, keyboard boxes too 1 day.

Like you bought a toy just for the toys. The Box served it's purpose in attracting buyers and ensuring the content is not damaged. Once you purchase it and bring it home, you tear open them boxes and take out the contents, the box goes into the bin without 2nd though. Even those paper manuals are expendable.

Not sure since when, folks beginning to treat the box as part of the toy. Not sure what was the reason that started all those "Completionist" fade but a ding on the corner of the box is like a ding on the toy itself. Maybe toys were getting more expensive that you start to pay attention to the packaging boxes? Coz if you say boxes been getting nicer i don't agree since back in those days you need attractive packaging to attract buyers compared to now toys sell themselves rather than relying on boxes. Folks preorder toys before they even know how the box looks like. In Short, toy box today serves sole purpose of holding the contents.

I find taking care of the box takes away the fun on the toys themselves. i mean if you just throw the boxes away you can focus on playing with the toys, rather than putting the box aside carefully, some even go to the extent of wrapping the boxes up so they don't absorb moisture and away from sunlight. The fact that boxes takes alot more space than the toys (which is a luxury nowadays) and is bothering many collectors means shows that Boxes are nothing more than liabilities. yea you can say it helps moving for larger statues but for smaller stuffs they just eat up spaces.

But who knows, as trees become less, we might start to keep all the router, keyboard boxes too 1 day.

I keep boxes for everything non-consumable, yes routers and keyboards too.

I gave up keeping boxes a long time ago. I don’t buy these things to resell. Unless I need a box for storage, the things go in the recycling.

I keep them in case I resell. It does help it sell faster.

My collection is a living thing, and with limited room for new acquisitions , I often have to sell of older items to make room (and money) for something new.

Most of the time I don’t take a loss, O actually make money (recent Spider-Man’s sale made 50.00 off it) O have no doubt a lot of buyer see having the original box and a sign that the collector is serious and keeps their items in good shape.

Plus if you have to move the boxes are perfect for that or if you put part of your collection into storage.

Most of mine reside in the attic...out of sight and mind until needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean; especially given the size of some of the Hot Toys boxes out there. But I definitely keep them for accessory storage and in case I need to sell at some point. Maybe if I was so well off that the thought of having to move these one day will never occur I would throw them away. I throw away a lot of 1/12 scale stuff, but still keep the import boxes just in case as well.

Boxes do help sell them and even the shippers stupidly enough. They barely increase the size of the box so I keep all of them too.

I keep boxes for everything non-consumable, yes routers and keyboards too.

you must either have very little stuffs or a really big big house.

imagine keeping all them TV boxes from the days of CRT.

or AC system. those boxes are huge.

oh wait, let's not talk about them fridge.

I like the washer box the most.

I keep them in case I resell. It does help it sell faster.

My collection is a living thing, and with limited room for new acquisitions , I often have to sell of older items to make room (and money) for something new.

Most of the time I don’t take a loss, O actually make money (recent Spider-Man’s sale made 50.00 off it) O have no doubt a lot of buyer see having the original box and a sign that the collector is serious and keeps their items in good shape.

Plus if you have to move the boxes are perfect for that or if you put part of your collection into storage.

Most of mine reside in the attic...out of sight and mind until needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welp, folks that has limited room are folks whom throw away their boxes.

check this youtube video out while i was googling about toy boxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my0ptJDn3bk

I know what you mean; especially given the size of some of the Hot Toys boxes out there. But I definitely keep them for accessory storage and in case I need to sell at some point. Maybe if I was so well off that the thought of having to move these one day will never occur I would throw them away. I throw away a lot of 1/12 scale stuff, but still keep the import boxes just in case as well.

Boxes do help sell them and even the shippers stupidly enough. They barely increase the size of the box so I keep all of them too.

actually if you actually read what i type i actually mean the boxes takes away the joy of the actual toy itself that before you can start enjoying the content you have to take care of all those boxes 1st. like putting all extra accessories, cards etc back in box and put it aside at a safe place.

it wouldn't be a surprise to me that folks living in small space have to find a spot for the box before playing with the toys otherwise the box will be sitting on some walk way awaiting to trip someone.

I have about 35ish Hot Toys. Once I moved I threw away like 7 boxes and in the middle of it I had an "oh **** what am I doing moment" and stopped and currently have a closet filled from top to bottom with the remaining boxes. Part of me wants to throw them away and part of me wants to keep them. Its an everyday battle. I really don't give two damns about the boxes or resale but I still appreciate the box art a ton as well

I have about 35ish Hot Toys. Once I moved I threw away like 7 boxes and in the middle of it I had an "oh **** what am I doing moment" and stopped and currently have a closet filled from top to bottom with the remaining boxes. Part of me wants to throw them away and part of me wants to keep them. Its an everyday battle. I really don't give two damns about the boxes or resale but I still appreciate the box art a ton as well

why not just cut out the cover art page or throw the plastic away and fold the boxes up? will save you x20 space.

why not just cut out the cover art page or throw the plastic away and fold the boxes up? will save you x20 space.

This is what I do. 99% of the box goes in the recycling. I keep some of the cover art if it’s cool. I don’t plan on being one of those greedy pigs who charge 3-4x the actual value of the figure (if I ever sell stuff), so taking a loss for not having the box isn’t important to me. Space for more figures to display is more important to me than keeping a stupid box. The only boxes I’ve kept (for storing extra accessories), and not all of them, are the really sturdy ones that come with the TBLeague figures (10x better boxes than the cheap crap HT uses).

Question for the fellow freaks: I’m moving and in the process of packing up my collection (huge pain in the ass btw). I have some 1/6 custom/kitbash figures and am looking to snag a few boxes with foam inserts to protect them in the move. Any ideas/resources as to where to find generic 1/6 boxes?

I keep all my boxes now. My collection, like xipotec’s, is ever evolving and the first thing most buyers ask me if I don’t list it in the description is if I have the box and even the shipper. It’s part of the collectible to most people anymore.

Question for the fellow freaks: I’m moving and in the process of packing up my collection (huge pain in the ass btw). I have some 1/6 custom/kitbash figures and am looking to snag a few boxes with foam inserts to protect them in the move. Any ideas/resources as to where to find generic 1/6 boxes?
Anybody have any suggestions?

I’ll give it a shot. Thx!

there are few questions you need to answer before we can give any answers:

1.How many custom figures?

2.How big are the custom figures are they in odd size? do you need to remove the accessories to fit normal boxes?

3.How are you going to transport them? Baby them yourself in a vehicle? have a mover to transport them?

4.if you have a mover always good to have a checklist in case a claim is needed from damage or lost.

for me i don't plan to put them back in box as the time it takes to remove some accessories, open up the boxes (i wrapped them up with wrapper), put the items back in box and put the box back into the storage box would take more time than me putting the figures in a padded tupperware and move them.

but then again i don't need to drive few hours to get to the new location.

i have those long but flat tupperware than can fit around 5-6 HT with some space between them. but the flat ones cost more than standard boxes.

Back