Modding the Iron Man Mark VI - Full glow on Triangle Arc Reactor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Walker

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, finally took a big gulp and modded my Mark VI.

**Disclaimer: This will probably destroy resale value. Not for the faint of heart. Don't blame me if you screw it up :nono This is irreversible**

Ok, so those who own it know what it looks like lit:

413816150.jpg

Add tissue paper behind the plate and you get:

413816153.jpg

Ho hum.....thumbs down for me.

So.....I'm not selling mine (at least no plans) so I'm not worried about resale value. I just want it to look how I want it to look.

Exhibit 1 - The problem:

413816155.jpg

These areas touch the underside of the plate. Blocking all light from getting to the corners of the triangle.

So dremel time (see disclaimer :p)

413816147.jpg

413816148.jpg

Results:

413816149.jpg

Better, but still a fail. The corners are lit, but too dark. Moving on. Time to completely remove the plastic "arc reactor" piece (the chrome plastic piece, down to the white LED) This is the tricky part. Go slow so you don't damage the white LED underneath. I used an Exacto knife and a small pair of needle-nose pliers....it's glued in pretty good:

413816154.jpg

Ah.....now we are getting somewhere. Dremel more of the top edges, paint the dremeled parts with chrome paint...

413816151.jpg

413816152.jpg

And this is how mine now looks, in the room:

413816145.jpg

Mission accomplished. :rock

Last edited:
I am in awe. But I might just do the tissue paper mod that you told me about. I think that's the way to go for me.. but DAMN. That should've been like that from the start! You were definitely doing some ARC surgery there :horror

Impressive work, Craig. Nicely done. :clap

I lack both the skills and the courage necessary to attempt such a modification. For now, I'll stick to a partially lit figure. Alas.

Thanks all.

You can do the tissue paper deal, and pull the chest plate out a fraction and get near the same results.

But not me :naughty :joy

wow well done Craig, fantastic! :clap thks!

im ok with a small triangle of white cpu paper in it now but this is tempting..........

again well done :clap to figure out why and how those raised parts block the light is so clever

if you dotn fully peg in chest plate leave it raised abit would that help w/o goin this extreme? honestly have not messed with LED at all on mine yet.

:clap:clap:clap

Fantastic job Craig!

Thanks

if you dotn fully peg in chest plate leave it raised abit would that help w/o goin this extreme? honestly have not messed with LED at all on mine yet.

Yes, if you put a piece of tissue (see video) and pull the plate out some, it looks pretty good. It fills the triangle pretty well.

It's just not as bright.

Last edited:
Back