Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I swapped things up a bit this week, moving my sixth scale review to tonight. It's all about timing of course, and Grand Moff Tarkin didn't quite make it in time for the weekend. But he's here now, and he's mighty sweet. Well, if you can get past a couple minor its, that is. But suffice to say you'll never need to buy another Tarkin - my full review is here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-031418a.htm

or you can find it with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

review_httarkin_4.jpg

Good catch on the Photoshop fakery on the box in terms of lengthening the sleeves. You're right!

It's a pity about the length of sleeves because on any other Imperial officer (Veers or Piett etc) it probably wouldn't really have been an issue, but Tarkin constantly has his hands raised (pointing, touching Leia's chin etc etc) or up at his chin in his most iconic pose, so the sleeves thing really does hurt this figure quite a bit, because it further limits already limited posing options imposed by him not being an action-y/fighting type character.

Well, I can't guarantee the photo is doctored...but that sleeve does look wonky to my eye, as though they cut and pasted it to cover. However, the pre-production figure they had for the photos may have had longer sleeves.

As annoying as the short sleeves are, they are fairly accurate. Cushing had a bit of forearm showing when he raised his arms.

480d2b047dccc1fc8659f6d2454ddaf8.jpg

Another fine review! Mine is on the way from BBTS this week. Can't wait to get him.

I've berated them over it many times, so many it's getting to be a dead horse. I don't know why they seem to have so much trouble with hands. You could make the excuse that it's more of a problem with the thinner, smaller figures (last one I complained about it a lot on was Marty), these are newly sculpted hands, designed specifically for the character. There's really zero excuse for it.

And while a shorter sleeve might not be inaccurate, it doesn't cover the ball joint, killing the realism. It's not about accuracy, but rather having this amazing portrait right next to a very obvious joint.

I've berated them over it many times, so many it's getting to be a dead horse. I don't know why they seem to have so much trouble with hands. You could make the excuse that it's more of a problem with the thinner, smaller figures (last one I complained about it a lot on was Marty), these are newly sculpted hands, designed specifically for the character. There's really zero excuse for it.

And while a shorter sleeve might not be inaccurate, it doesn't cover the ball joint, killing the realism. It's not about accuracy, but rather having this amazing portrait right next to a very obvious joint.

Well, in that case you'd have to live with extra long sleeves that look weird when straight. We all own jackets, we all know how they work.

You'd think by now someone would have come up with a "bendy" sort of joint that blends more naturally between hand and forearm.

...ah good 'ol Hot Toys and oversized hands. Very nice figure in hand though. His hair has a tinge of gold and not enough grey...dry brushing will remedy this however.

Good review and shots, Michael...will get to see for myself later this week.

Not digging this pattern of minor f-ups on every figure lately. Leia's dot issue and inaccurate accessories, Anakin's highwater robe, Tarkin's short sleeves and giant hands.

I think they need to slow down and concentrate on accuracy and quality again.

Back