American Value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
The United States imports the majority of it's goods from abroad; on a brief tangent, mainly China (SideShow products come from there) and XM, well, from Singapore.

Here's a scenario:

Frank, a US citizen, buys a Samsung Galaxy phone (made in China) from Harry, also a US citizen, from a Best Buy, in LA. Harry then takes the money he made from Frank and buys a pair of jeans (also made in China) from Frank working in a Banana Republic. Then Frank takes the money from selling a foreign product and buys Hyundai (made in Twain) from Jessica who uses that money back to David at Best Buy to buy a Cannon DSLR camera (made in China)...

Where are Americans adding value here? We import the majority of our oil. We are trillions of dollars in debt to China. What if they decide to impose an embargo?

Just thinking.. because it is quite difficult to find a job in a America not in retail.

Many people, myself included, would be overjoyed to earn $40,000 a year. In 1975 my father, a college graduate, like me, earned $40,000 a year and that was average pay. With a degree it was quite easy to make a career earning that.

$40,000 in 1975, calculating for inflation, is worth $190,000 in 2018; it would have that buying power today. Gas then was 57 cents a gallon!

**** this. If they're going to build that wall, don't have Mexicans do it, pay me! Never been to Texas, I like warm dry heat and roadrunners are cute.

Last edited:
In your selling senerio, are those people using money they got paid by working for the companies that sold those items new, or using money they made by selling items they already owned/used.

US imports oil because it is cheaper to do so than using our own. And also, lets use up others oil instead of our own. :)

As for a better paying job, just like Rock said, go out and get what you are worth.

Forget the wall and use lasers.

The United States imports the majority of it's goods from abroad; on a brief tangent, mainly China (SideShow products come from there) and XM, well, from Singapore.

Here's a scenario:

Frank, a US citizen, buys a Samsung Galaxy phone (made in China) from Harry, also a US citizen, from a Best Buy, in LA. Harry then takes the money he made from Frank and buys a pair of jeans (also made in China) from Frank working in a Banana Republic. Then Frank takes the money from selling a foreign product and buys Hyundai (made in Twain) from Jessica who uses that money back to David at Best Buy to buy a Cannon DSLR camera (made in China)...

Where are Americans adding value here? We import the majority of our oil. We are trillions of dollars in debt to China. What if they decide to impose an embargo?

Just thinking.. because it is quite difficult to find a job in a America not in retail.

Many people, myself included, would be overjoyed to earn $40,000 a year. In 1975 my father, a college graduate, like me, earned $40,000 a year and that was average pay. With a degree it was quite easy to make a career earning that.

$40,000 in 1975, calculating for inflation, is worth $190,000 in 2018; it would have that buying power today. Gas then was 57 cents a gallon!

**** this. If they're going to build that wall, don't have Mexicans do it, pay me! Never been to Texas, I like warm dry heat and roadrunners are cute.

if only you had a vajayjay...

The fact that the US owes China so much money is precisely the reason why China would never impose an embargo on the US. It’s akin to killing the Golden Goose.

Sorry that your in this position. I thought there was a similar thread about a year and a half/two years ago, and sure enough, it was started by you. Have you been unemployed since then?

I guess scalpin' those Illidan and Grommash statues didn't make you the richest person in the world afterall... :lol

Also, if your life sucks so much... why still buy and review expensive statues?

Welcome to Murica. Might be best if he move out of NYC. There's a lot of competition in NYC. Heck, even one of the fishing youtube guy is moving to North Carolina.

Or use your money to run for state government and work your way up into Federal House of Representatives....

This system of values consists of three pairs of benefits?individual freedom, equality of opportunity and material wealth (or the American Dream)?and the price people paid to have these benefits?self-reliance, competition, and hard work: Individual freedom and self-reliance. Equality of opportunity and competition.

This system of values consists of three pairs of benefits?individual freedom, equality of opportunity and material wealth (or the American Dream)?and the price people paid to have these benefits?self-reliance, competition, and hard work: Individual freedom and self-reliance. Equality of opportunity and competition.

Self-reliance is a bit outdated in America, at least in most ways to look at it. The government isn't giving people free land in distance areas of the country to build a house on and scratch a living. America is already owned down to the very pebble. Most of us are born into debt, our mere birth removing equal opportunity. Monopolies have become our economy. Small Business surviving under the heal. The fortune 100 actually favors robust regulation....as long as it benefits them and removes the chance of small competitors rising up due to these burdens. Better to have monopolies fight each other than a creative rival form. Sort of like how the republicans and democrats at the end of the day agree on 95% of the issues. No way they want a third party to have a fighting chance.

Universal healthcare to me is overdue in America. I see too many people with crippling debt because of an illness, emptying out their savings just to pay for a birth, or questioning to get their arm fixed because of the cost. My brother needs major surgery on his wrist, but can't afford it. Young man, and works worthless jobs because the pain demotivates him.

But overall I agree with your values, the problem is our history was founded on the government giving you an inch, and seeing if you can turn it into a mile. Nowadays your born owing a mile, and many just trying to find a way to net out an inch before they die. That isn't free market innovation and determination, that is coercion and exploitation.

Back