How to mottle flesh?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scentless Apprentice

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've gotten to a stage where I can get a pretty good skin tone, and some warm tones as well. But I'm not sure how to add in mottle to really bring it to the next level. Any advice would be appreciated. This is about where I am right now as far as flesh is concerned:
96Nl3ef.jpg
Y90vvvs.jpg

Hey I'm in the process of learning it myself but I saw a tutorial where they dipped a paintbrush in a small amount of a darker tone (possibly a more reddish tone than skin tone)and used their finger to rake across the brush, flicking small amounts of paint onto the head. The artist then painted over it with a thin translucent coat of skin tone to solidify the look. I don't know the specific tutorial but if you look on youtube searching "1/6 head painting tutorial" I'm sure you're bound to come across something. I hope this helps.

I achieved some mottling accidentally when I airbrushed some flesh midtones on a 1:6 head I sculpted. I didn't know the spray tip was jammed with dried acrylic (this stuff dries really fast) so my Badger airbrush started spitting (instead of spraying) paint. Here's how it looks, the mottling is more visible under the cheeks and around the neck:

IMG_20180306_0001.jpg

I wanted to keep the spray tip jammed so I could get the same results next time but I cleaned the tip anyway because I didn't want it damaged because replacements parts are expensive. I heard Aztek airbrushes have a nozzle for spatter effects. Sadly, Aztec isn't available in my country.

While not specifically for painting action figures, there are several online tutorials on mottling and airbrushing sculpts at the Stan Winston School website. All of the courses are taught by pros, so it's worth the money. I've been learning how to airbrush masks, and several tutorials cover what you're after. Here's there site:

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/

They teach the same technique: cut the bristles short on a paint brush, dampen it, then flick the paint for added texture.

Back