Death Star Corridor MOC Diorama - IKEA Kallax

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robianco

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK... So while I'm still relatively new to 1/6 scale figures I'm also a complete novice when it comes to model kits etc, but seeing as my DIY skills are seemingly pretty good these days and buoyed by recently fitting two new bathrooms I'd earned enough hobby points from the wife to look at kitting out my figure's shelf space on the IKEA Kallax bookshelf I have in my office.

Jazz's dioramas are incredible but I really don't have the space, or indeed budget, to display my figures in something like that. With that in mind I've looked at a few diorama MOC threads and there's some really nice stuff that people are doing to help bring their figures to life. So this was my go.

BikerScout has recently set up a new thread with his own Death Star Corridor and he's taking the scalpel and pencil approach to creating his apertures for the corridor... that was something I just didn't really fancy doing. I work as a graphic designer and I've had to mock up and do things by hand for 20 years and lozenge shapes just wasn't happening. So I asked a friend who works as a signage fitter and he pointed me in the direction of someone who would laser cut acrylic or various thicknesses quite close to where I live.

I set up three basic sides (the back and two side panels) and had them cut from dark grey acrylic (5mm) along with a black base sheet. I've just taped them together to show how they fit quickly

BLANK.jpg

I was then going to cut all the panels that make up the Death Star's iconic interior from mounting board and simply paste it on. The one thing that didn't give me was the panels that the lighting sections were cut from. I had a quick look on eBay and found a company that cut from 2mm clear acrylic and I sent them the PDF artwork with the panels marked. These lighting lozenges were the same as the backing panels artwork so should line up. Everything came in two sheets which were bound on one side with masking tape and the cuts were really nicely done.

TRIM SHEETS.jpg

I've not glued anything yet but here's the first layer of panels dropped onto the backing panel for a quick check.

STAGE2.jpg

Here it is with the second layer of panels dropped on.

STAGE3.jpg

Hopefully I'll get a change to glue everything in place over the weekend and give a quick coat of primer. There are small Lego pieces which were originally moulded as gold ingots but are available in grey and are used as greeblies for vehicles etc. I think a little filler to remove the Lego logo from it should make it a nice little panel detail.

Here's a quick look with the bottom and sides quickly taped.

STAGE4.jpgSTAGE4.jpg

The nice thing is it fits perfectly into the Kallax shape as it's custom cut for it. I'll update the thread once I've glued and primed and I'll drop a couple of Stormies in for fit.

I’m not at home now to double check but I think they’re around 325mm. All figures can stand nicely but Chewie and Vader have to be in action poses to dip their head in the space.

I’m not at home now to double check but I think they’re around 325mm. All figures can stand nicely but Chewie and Vader have to be in action poses to dip their head in the space.

Oh I see. So it's under-scaled. Would be nice if the scaling was accurate though.

Oh I see. So it's under-scaled. Would be nice if the scaling was accurate though.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but my display space is dictated by the Kallax and it’s wife friendly as it’s in my office.

The good thing is that because I’ve set the artwork myself I can scale it to be whatever display size I want and get it cut accordingly.

I quite like them that size actually. I’m already tying to work out what kind of detail I can put into Hoth and Jabba’s Palace spaces.

Cool. Care to share what company did this? Did you make your own image file for them to use as a template?
Sean

Yeah. I’ve set the artwork in adobe illustrator with the panel details on separate layers. I got the detailed elements cut from a company called PFL Direct through eBay. I just emailed them the artwork and they quoted for it and set up a private listing which included postage costs. Cut the next day and sent out.

im liking how this is coming along it looks very sharp mate. The lights will really make it pop.

A little update.

So I managed to get the panels glued on and then added a couple of details with board. Sprayed them with grey primer before I glue them properly. I'll then give them a few coats with a more satin dark grey to finish it. I was going to do the floor plates but I quite like how shiny the standard black gloss acrylic is.

I've ordered the LED light strips so once they arrive I can glue the white frosted plastic in place for the lighting and it should be finished.

IMG_6966.jpg
IMG_6967.jpg
IMG_6968.jpg

I think I'm tempted to drop an image behind the side panels to give the illusion of a continued corridor.

Nice one Robianco. A bit better temperature for spray painting today. (at least in Germany, assume the same in the UK)

How did the sticking go onto the primer ? I would have cleaned the surface, stuck then primed. But maybe your way is better ?

Were the little rectangular pieces difficult to get in place ?

I agree some pics for the sides could make it look larger. Would like to see that.

Nice work.

Cheers! They were stuck first before priming. Not sure if my description made it sound the other way.

Temperature definitely better. Sprayed them up in my father in law’s garage and left them to dry. Picked them up earlier today.

The little details weren’t too bad to position but I was worried hownthwyd look sprayed up. Even with the primer they look fine so hopefully a couple of coats of a satin finish spray will really finish them off.

I just hope the lighting works how I hope it will. It should... but with not doing it before there’s always doubt.

This is incredible, can you share your pdf templates? I am going to see if I can find a local shop that cuts acrylic.

Back