1/6 Boba Fett w/ self-made helmet sculpt (& other custom bounty hunters too)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajp4mgs

Super Freak
Reaction score
Even though I'm fairly certain that Hot Toys will fix their helmet sculpt for the ESB Fett release, that figure is still about a year away at this point, so I decided to sculpt and paint my own for this custom version that I've been working on. The chest armor is also my own, but the rest is made up of repainted/weathered Hot Toys, Sideshow, and Medicom parts on a third-party body. I still need a better ammo belt (w/ more accurate pouches), and also need to paint/weather the knee pads, the rifle, and the jetpack. Those things won't change much of the overall aesthetic presentation, however, so here's how it looks at this point.

A couple shots from the front:

BrandNewBoba01.jpg

At a slight angle:

BrandNewBoba02.jpg

On the Sideshow stand:

BrandNewBoba03.jpg

And getting his instructions:

BrandNewBoba04.jpg

When the HT ESB figure gets released, I'll probably end up getting the new helmet parted out, but this one will keep me happy until then. Please feel free to post any critiques or suggestions for improvement, those will always be appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: 1/6 Boba Fett w/ self-made helmet sculpt

That looks excellent! What Vader helmet is that?

No critique possible except maybe it's TOO awesome? Nah, that won't work. It's just too awesome. Great job!

Thank you very much to all; the kind words are greatly appreciated!

That looks excellent! What Vader helmet is that?

The Vader helmet in that last pic is a combo of Sideshow mask (with makeshift tusks because the original ones broke off) and a modified Hasbro dome. I'm waiting for the HT ESB Vader release in hopes of upgrading the helmet. If they shorten the height of the dome, I'll use the whole helmet if I can find it parted out. If they leave the dome as seen in the promo pics, I'd still like to get the mask but swap the dome for this Hasbro one. For whatever reason, the Hasbro dome being a bit too narrow bothers me less than the HT dome being a bit too tall.

Really wishing I had some Bespin Guards right about now. Even though this is just the Hasbro (or was it still Kenner?... I don't know) Carbonite Han, with a couple of guards behind it, it might still work okay for a Fett display.

BobaHan01.jpg

BobaHan02.jpg

Also tried posing this guy to match Fett's first appearance aboard the Executor. The hands don't allow for an identical pose, so he'll just be using the left hand to brace the rifle, as it was meant for.
FettComp01.jpg

Looks great! I like its stance and body proportion. The helmet is well made as well as the chest armor. Good job!

That's looking really awesome. Looks like a guy in a costume. :)

Looks great! I like its stance and body proportion. The helmet is well made as well as the chest armor. Good job!

Really great job, at first I thought it was a picture of a 1:1 Boba

There were points where I felt like the time and energy I spent on proportions in trying to get this to look as much like a 1:1 Fett (less like a figure) as possible wouldn't end up being worth it, so reading these comments means a lot to me. Thank you!!

I've made a second casting (seen below) from my helmet mold so that I can make an ROTJ helmet too. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the main color of the helmet and armor should be versus the ESB color. Hot Toys went much heavier on the dark olive shade of green for ROTJ, but the Costumes book and photos of Fett outside (in the skiff scenes) would suggest not that much more olive. Any thoughts on this before I dive into eventually painting this second helmet would be much appreciated.

Boba Helmet Casting 2.jpg

Thanks again to everyone.

There were points where I felt like the time and energy I spent on proportions in trying to get this to look as much like a 1:1 Fett (less like a figure) as possible wouldn't end up being worth it, so reading these comments means a lot to me. Thank you!!

I've made a second casting (seen below) from my helmet mold so that I can make an ROTJ helmet too. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the main color of the helmet and armor should be versus the ESB color. Hot Toys went much heavier on the dark olive shade of green for ROTJ, but the Costumes book and photos of Fett outside (in the skiff scenes) would suggest not that much more olive. Any thoughts on this before I dive into eventually painting this second helmet would be much appreciated.

View attachment 394443

Thanks again to everyone.

Great sculpt! Are you going to be selling any casts?

Best ESB Fett I've seen. You nailed that helmet shape perfectly. I just get disappointed every time I look at my Sideshow Fett. Its all in the helmet. Excellent work.

Great sculpt! Are you going to be selling any casts?

Best ESB Fett I've seen. You nailed that helmet shape perfectly. I just get disappointed every time I look at my Sideshow Fett. Its all in the helmet. Excellent work.

Great proportions! I would definitely be interested in one of these if casted :)

Thank you very much for the comments! You all are too kind.

As far as the castings go: the main problem right now is air bubbles. I don't have a vacuum chamber, so there are some minor air bubble issues (at the vents in the back of the helmet) with the mold I made of my original sculpt. There are also tiny air bubble holes in the two casts that I've made so far (resulting from the resin pour). It takes me a pretty decent amount of time to patch and eliminate the imperfections, so it wouldn't be feasible right now to produce multiple castings of high quality to offer. Plus, the range finder is a multi-step process (so that it can rotate down to the visor) which adds more work.

I'll try to think of ways that could make this easier. Maybe I can figure out a way to produce castings that wouldn't need any (or much) refining.

But, I really think that the Hot Toys helmet will end up being proportioned the way everyone's been hoping for. They have given indications that changes could be made to improve upon the promo sculpt, and after seeing the improvements to the HT Emperor head sculpt, I think they'll pull this off with Boba Fett too and make us all happy. If they fail again, though, I will certainly do everything I can to offer a better-proportioned helmet.

Thanks again.

In some of the skiff scenes they used an ESB helmet, so it's worth checking which picture shows the ESB and which shows the RotJ and then separate out the ESB, so you don't use those as reference. I believe you can tell them apart by the colors and the way the scratches and damage is applied.

Back