Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Frank Miller appreciation thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lady of the lake.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	400928

Buckeye Nation
    Feedback
    15 (100%)

Banned

Feedback
    i wonder how he learned to use shadows like that

Frank Miller's biggest flop or let-down of his career was The Dark Knight Strikes Again. (Well, that is until a little book called Holy Terror showed up a few years later and REALLY stunk.)

Hype for the DK sequel was through the roof, and I still think it started quite well...that first issue had some great sequences with the Atom and the Flash and was a lot of fun. Ans then issue two and three sucked. You could watch Miller getting more and more bored panel by panel. By the time it limped to its conclusion, nobody cared.

Now there's no saving the story, unfortunately, but I really do think it might be worth at least LOOKING at it in it's raw form. Lynn Varley is the best watercolor colorist in the industry. Unfortunately she chose this book to experiment with computer coloring and that crap was garish and downright ugly.

This week DC is publishing a hardcover called Batman Noir: DKSA. Exactly as is it sounds...just Miller's black and white inks and none of that hideous Varley computer coloring. Now the story is beyond salvaging but I still wanna pick it up for the art alone. It's essentially a late era Sin City style Batman aesthetic. It'll be fun to flip through at the very least, and I think there are entire pages and segments that are gonna look a hell of a lot better.

Whether you loved it, hated it, or just ignored it....doesn't it look so much better in black and white?

Name:	1401278043.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	402527

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	402521

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	402522

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	402523

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	402524

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	402525

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	402526

Oh an PS....Xerxes issue 1 comes out on Wednesday as well! I think I'll skip the "floppies" and hope for a hardcover down the road with the same dimensions as 300 and Holy Terror so it'll all look nice on my shelf.

Buckeye Nation
    Feedback
    15 (100%)

Banned

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by crows View Post
    what was the problem with holy terror?

I personally didn't have a problem with Holy Terror's subject matter. Frank stated many many times it was a work of propaganda, not unlike when Superman and Captain America and Bugs Bunny used to beat up Hitler. It came from a place of rage and hurt for him after living in New York for most of his life and dealing with 9-11.

That, combined with his public comments calling the Occupy Wall Street movement a bunch of slackers, officially made him an "unperson" in the minds of millennials and most comic book review sites. He's been called a crazy, cranky, old, out of touch, racist, etc etc etc.

I don't care about any of that. My only problem with Holy Terror was the plot. It made no sense...went nowhere, and just ended abruptly. For something he worked on for about a decade, the art was awfully sloppy and rushed as well.

But the guy clearly has health issues, and I don't mean mentally. He was clearly on death's door a few years ago but thankfully he DOES look healthier these days. I imagine it takes a lot out of him to draw now which is why 95% of his current stuff is very loose and sketchy, but every now and then he sits down and does an amazingly detailed commission.

PS...made it through about 2 minutes of that angry fedora'd nerd literally yelling and screaming about what a horrible human being Frank Miller is cause he doesn't like the cartoons he draws. And apparently there's about 3 hours of this video? Do yourself a favor and don't click.

Quote Originally Posted by Otomofan View Post
    I personally didn't have a problem with Holy Terror's subject matter. Frank stated many many times it was a work of propaganda, not unlike when Superman and Captain America and Bugs Bunny used to beat up Hitler. It came from a place of rage and hurt for him after living in New York for most of his life and dealing with 9-11.

That, combined with his public comments calling the Occupy Wall Street movement a bunch of slackers, officially made him an "unperson" in the minds of millennials and most comic book review sites. He's been called a crazy, cranky, old, out of touch, racist, etc etc etc.

I don't care about any of that. My only problem with Holy Terror was the plot. It made no sense...went nowhere, and just ended abruptly. For something he worked on for about a decade, the art was awfully sloppy and rushed as well.

But the guy clearly has health issues, and I don't mean mentally. He was clearly on death's door a few years ago but thankfully he DOES look healthier these days. I imagine it takes a lot out of him to draw now which is why 95% of his current stuff is very loose and sketchy, but every now and then he sits down and does an amazingly detailed commission.

PS...made it through about 2 minutes of that angry fedora'd nerd literally yelling and screaming about what a horrible human being Frank Miller is cause he doesn't like the cartoons he draws. And apparently there's about 3 hours of this video? Do yourself a favor and don't click.
    You want a good laugh? Look up the "comic" Linkara (fedora twat in that video) created, The Lightbringer. Fun fact: he both wrote and drew the pages, but credited a fictional artist to make it look more "professional"...