Compressed air for cleaning collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avenger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, so throwing it in here.

I bought my first can of compressed air in hopes it would make cleaning my statues and Hot Toys figures easier. After using it some, I noticed every once in a while it shoots a puff of something liquid. I managed to get it to shoot a puff at a flat surface, and it looked like frost when it hit. So, it froze instantly. These are Dust-Off brand electronics dusters.

Anyone have experience using these over time who can comment on if these are safe for our collectibles? I'm not sure how dangerous small freezing puffs of liquid chemical whatever are, but it seems like it can't be that great on these things. I bought the cans primarily for the cloth items like clothing, capes, and robes. I guess I can limit use to those, which it did do an excellent job on. But, if there's a chance the puffs of whatever can bleach, that would be bad too...

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I use them to remove dust before painting, but I can attest that frozen moisture from the air can stain matte black surfaces. I use soft brushes to clean.

If you want to avoid that you can get a rubber squeezable air blower so you don't risk blowing the chemicals on things

Good call. Found a Giattos rocket air blower that looks like it puts out a good flow for a hand pump. Think I'll try one of those, and use the compressed air sparingly or not at all. We have plenty of other things around the house to use that on.

I think you can get mini air compressors so you don't have to worry about chemicals.

That white puff of spray only happens when you turn it to the side or upside down far enough. I haven't had any issues with them, so I can't attest to the matte issue, but as long as you keep them vertical, it's usually pretty ok.

I use them to dust mine off every few months. Even sometimes got the white puff of spray on them on occasion. No issues.

Bumping an old thread...

Assuming compressed air damage (if any) would be fairly visible correct? I used it on a 1/6 Hot Toys figurines face to remove some tiny hairs and now I'm worried I damaged the paint job because of some tiny glistening/marks if you shine light on it, but it is pretty hard to see even under the brightest of lights.

Or... am I just crazy and it was likely just how it was painted -_-

Better use Giottos Rocket Air Blower as it is used by professional photographers to clean their camera lenses (and unlike a compressed air can you don't need to buy another one) & a makeup brush

Giottos Rocket Air Blower & Makeup Brush.jpg

Thanks. I will definitely invest in those. Was just worried that I might have damaged it, but it sounds like things should be okay : D

Back