Will the failure of the Last Jedi affect the value of OT collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facemaker

Super Freak
Reaction score
I realize there are people who "like" this movie. I don't understand their point of view nor the apologists who are writing article after article trying to explain to me why I am the problem, not the film itself. Every time I hear a comparison to 'The Empire Strikes Back' I want to pack my bags and move far away from civilization. I can go so far as to say I can respect another individuals opinion, but if attempting to put the Last Jedi in the same sentence as Empire, all credibility is lost and I find myself dumbfounded at such nonsense.
I am 41 and a reasonable fan of all good movies. I was really excited for the Last Jedi for several reasons, including I thought they would do Luke justice as an Obi Wan type of teacher. I won't get into every detail, but the movie was not about A Long Time Ago, Far Far Away..........
It was a Trojan Horse parading several of today's hot social and political climates by shoehorning abrasive and unnecessary dialogue and plot points into a fantasy space opera.

I recently went to the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando. I took a Master Replica Luke blaster with me and was hoping to get it signed and a picture of Mark Hamill holding it. I did not pre-order though and was out of luck with Hamill (saved $250.00 though). I ended up having to "settle" for Billy Dee Williams and took a picture with him holding the Blaster. For awhile after the event I was a bit bummed because I felt getting the Hamill autograph on the blaster as well as a picture of him holding it would triple the value of it. After watching Last Jedi, I am not sure that's the case anymore as Luke was gutted on the movie and most fans wished they had watched a different film. Meanwhile, Billy Dee Williams wasn't in it, so he at least keeps his "cool factor".

So, at the end of the day,...do you guys feel the oversaturation of Star Wars with Disney is the enemy to collectible value or is it Disney taking something that has been important to many since the originals and giving it such an enema that the collectibles will suffer ultimately as a result?

Not sure what the title of the thread means or how you can state something was a failure if it was the highest grossing movie of the year, one of the best reviewed movies of the year, and had and A cinemascore. With that said though I think your post should start by saying: I realize there are people who "dislike" this movie. I am one of them...would have been a better representation of the reality of its reception.

Yeah I don't see TLJ as a failure at all. Over a billion in the box office worldwide and still going. Great critical reviews. A small vocal minority hates it, but money talks and it is a sucess.

I am a die hard OT purist and a HUGE Luke fan. I loved the movie. But it is just that TLJ is a movie. You are giving it too much power if it is ruining Star Wars as a whole for you. So you didn't like it, so what. There will be many more SW flicks, some you will like and love and others not so much(Disney is approaching it like their Marvel model). It makes no difference at the end of the day. Guaranteed you will still be in a theatre seat for Solo and Ep IX. SW over saturation has been around since the prequels.

To answer your collectible value question. NO the OT collectibles shouldnt be diminished in value. But as I have said before...don't collect for value, its a bad investment. Collect what you love, and its value will always be there.

Last edited:
Not sure what the title of the thread means or how you can state something was a failure if it was the highest grossing movie of the year, one of the best reviewed movies of the year, and had and A cinemascore. With that said though I think your post should start by saying: I realize there are people who "dislike" this movie. I am one of them...would have been a better representation of the reality of its reception.

Failure to resonate with MANY fans. Nobody is talking about the money, because Star Wars invented the whole Box office smash thing with Jaws and people see these movies as American past times and traditions.

Failure to resonate with MANY fans. Nobody is talking about the money, because Star Wars invented the whole Box office smash thing with Jaws and people see these movies as American past times and traditions.

Well I think they are looking to get new fans. I enjoyed the movie for what it is.

Yeah I don't see TLJ as a failure at all. Over a billion in the box office worldwide and still going. Great critical reviews. A small vocal minority hates it, but money talks and it is a sucess.

I am a die hard OT purist and a HUGE Luke fan. I loved the movie. But it is just that TLJ is a movie. You are giving it too much power if it is ruining Star Wars as a whole for you. So you didn't like it, so what. There will be many more SW flicks, some you will like and love and others not so much(Disney is approaching it like their Marvel model). It makes no difference at the end of the day. Guaranteed you will still be in a theatre seat for Solo and Ep IX. SW over saturation has been around since the prequels.

To answer your collectible value question. NO the OT collectibles shouldnt be diminished in value. But as I have said before...don't collect for value, its a bad investment. Collect what you love, and its value will always be there.

I didn't like being manipulated as a viewer with plot points, the SJW agenda shoved down my throat and hokey takes on principles and traditions well established within the narrative. Also, wasn't expecting it to be better than 'Empire',....but this is so far off that it's not even in the same class.

I also cannot stand people claiming the movie is good simply because off the box office receipts. At least tell me why you think so without such a cop out reason.

I also cannot stand people claiming the movie is good simply because off the box office receipts. At least tell me why you think so without such a cop out reason.

I don't think anyone is using the box office to claim it's good ... they're just showing it as one of many reasons it shouldn't be deemed a "failure".

I don't think anyone is using the box office to claim it's good ... they're just showing it as one of many reasons it shouldn't be deemed a "failure".

Fair enough sir; Failure to resonate with many fans going forward people!

I didn't like being manipulated as a viewer with plot points, the SJW agenda shoved down my throat and hokey takes on principles and traditions well established within the narrative. Also, wasn't expecting it to be better than 'Empire',....but this is so far off that it's not even in the same class.

It doesn't matter what anyone says to counter you. You hated it and take it as a personal affront to your sense of the star wars universe. I enjoyed seeing the relationship with Finn and Rey being more established. I enjoyed seeing Leia utilize the force. I enjoyed a lot of this pop corn entertainment.

It doesn't matter what anyone says to counter you. You hated it and take it as a personal affront to your sense of the star wars universe. I enjoyed seeing the relationship with Finn and Rey being more established. I enjoyed seeing Leia utilize the force. I enjoyed a lot of this pop corn entertainment.

I say if they wanted to go the Kylo/Rey Love Boat way they should have gone Full Boar and had Kylo force rip off her clothes after the thrown room showdown and then Rail it right over top of Snokes dead body on the thrown. I mean, might as well show some commitment and take it where they are alluding.

If you're speaking from a critical acclaim standpoint then check out the stats on the Suicide Squad figs. IMO, the film wasn't that hot but still the Harley figs keep coming in.

Box office receipts don't tell the whole story...I never said they did, look at whole prequel trilogy and TFA, huge box office... mediocre to bad movies(subjectively). I enjoyed TLJ for Luke's journey, I think it resonates as real. Sure he is not the same guy we left in ROTJ...but TLJ doesn't claim he is. There has been a lot of time pass between the events of ROTJ and TLJ. So to compare the two individuals is like apples to oranges. People change and suffer from bad decisions. I enjoyed seeing him deal with that. I Enjoyed the Kylo/Ben arc with Rey. I did not particularly care for the resistance sub plot, I feel it took away from the Luke/Kylo/Rey story.

Last edited:
Audience rating on rotten tomato is 50% and dropping. The lowest audience score of any star wars movie, including TPM (59%) and AOTC (57%).

I'm definitely interested in a rose PF, or even better yet, maybe a "rose kissing fin" diorama. preferably in 1/4 scale and fully sculpted, that would be a day 1 PO for me :rotfl

I realize there are people who "like" this movie. I don't understand their point of view nor the apologists who are writing article after article trying to explain to me why I am the problem, not the film itself. Every time I hear a comparison to 'The Empire Strikes Back' I want to pack my bags and move far away from civilization. I can go so far as to say I can respect another individuals opinion, but if attempting to put the Last Jedi in the same sentence as Empire, all credibility is lost and I find myself dumbfounded at such nonsense.
I am 41 and a reasonable fan of all good movies. I was really excited for the Last Jedi for several reasons, including I thought they would do Luke justice as an Obi Wan type of teacher. I won't get into every detail, but the movie was not about A Long Time Ago, Far Far Away..........
It was a Trojan Horse parading several of today's hot social and political climates by shoehorning abrasive and unnecessary dialogue and plot points into a fantasy space opera.

I recently went to the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando. I took a Master Replica Luke blaster with me and was hoping to get it signed and a picture of Mark Hamill holding it. I did not pre-order though and was out of luck with Hamill (saved $250.00 though). I ended up having to "settle" for Billy Dee Williams and took a picture with him holding the Blaster. For awhile after the event I was a bit bummed because I felt getting the Hamill autograph on the blaster as well as a picture of him holding it would triple the value of it. After watching Last Jedi, I am not sure that's the case anymore as Luke was gutted on the movie and most fans wished they had watched a different film. Meanwhile, Billy Dee Williams wasn't in it, so he at least keeps his "cool factor".

So, at the end of the day,...do you guys feel the oversaturation of Star Wars with Disney is the enemy to collectible value or is it Disney taking something that has been important to many since the originals and giving it such an enema that the collectibles will suffer ultimately as a result?

I agree with you in that I think TLJ was an awful Star Wars film, and just a bad film in general. I guess time will tell whether the Star Wars collector scene will drop off at all, but I know I’ll be voting on anything Disney does from now on with my wallet.

With every collectible release related to characters people don't care about (so, the new ones), the value of OT/PT collectibles increases.

Why? Because it's an extremely slow industry. It's months or years of waiting, constantly.
When you see Sideshow release a new PF from Rogue One, or when they inevitably release aa909's favorite, war hero Rose Tico, it pushes back potential interesting releases even more. What does this mean for the secondary market?

Well, no new ROTJ Luke PF will make the old one more valuable. No new cool Sith or Jedi PF will make the old ones more valuable. Etc...

Look at the prices of Master Replicas lightsabers. Not even the ones from the OT, look at the PT ones. Sidious, Yoda, ROTS Anakin... All those hilts that used to be worth barely $300 a few years ago sell for up to triple that nowadays.
Look at the prices for the Mythos line. Madness. I consider myself lucky to own just two.

No matter how successful the movies in terms of box office, an 8 year old kid and his mom aren't going to buy Premium Format statues. The collectors are the hardcore fans, aka the most split demographic of the fanbase when it comes to the new movies. If they have a hard time bonding with the new characters, they will look to the past. That means an increase in value for older collectibles.

:goodpost:

This is a good thing to keep in mind for ANY movie. I also really enjoyed TLJ (though it took me a couple of views). But even with movies I'm not fond of at all (such as AOTC), I find things I enjoy in each. There will always be more in some form, and really it's just expanding the universe. I could absolutely hate a movie, and I'm sure there would still be at least one design I'll enjoy. If you don't enjoy something - don't let it bother you too much. The only one ruining Star Wars for your is yourself.

I am started enjoying it after watch it 20 times. Go from 2/10 to 2.5/10, couple views really do a trick. Because this movies just absolutely " not badly written " with cringe humours and terrible characters , this movie actually smart and requires multiple views.

Why would it effect the OT Collectibles? It's the only true Starwars that exists

Back