Star Trek The Next Generation Retro TV Review series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kheas

Super Freak
Reaction score
if there is a bright center of the universe, where
I started a new blog series where I am reviewing the entire STNG series starting with Encounter At Farpoint. It's a bit of a passion project and something that's just fun to do but I thought someone here might get a kick out of the series.

Here is a link to the first one. I hope you enjoy!

https://wp.me/p93it6-1cV

87ed1f6199dccdf0d57808d503966be2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I was just commenting to my wife about that episode the other day. The deeper question there, that the episode may not explore as well as it could, is about the cost of real peace and comfort. A totalitarian state can offer you that, in a sense, if you are willing to accept widespread, arbitrary rules with extreme penalties for violation of those rules. We see this in small ways all the time, because we have laws that are based on values that aren't universally shared. Should possessing or smoking marijuana lead to prison time? Our Attorney General probably thinks so. Now that the METOO movement is taking over Hollywood, any case of potentially ambiguous sexual misconduct by a male is enough to potentially derail someone's career. Should that be the case?

But at the end of the day, that episode of Next Gen was just one more case of the Prime Directive being tossed out the window! Because Picard said so! The Federation are a bunch of unlawful thugs!

I was just commenting to my wife about that episode the other day. The deeper question there, that the episode may not explore as well as it could, is about the cost of real peace and comfort. A totalitarian state can offer you that, in a sense, if you are willing to accept widespread, arbitrary rules with extreme penalties for violation of those rules. We see this in small ways all the time, because we have laws that are based on values that aren't universally shared. Should possessing or smoking marijuana lead to prison time? Our Attorney General probably thinks so. Now that the METOO movement is taking over Hollywood, any case of potentially ambiguous sexual misconduct by a male is enough to potentially derail someone's career. Should that be the case?

But at the end of the day, that episode of Next Gen was just one more case of the Prime Directive being tossed out the window! Because Picard said so! The Federation are a bunch of unlawful thugs!

I really like your analysis on this one. It does have a deeper implication. How many rules and regulations are you willing to put up with to have ultimate peace and happiness? And just who gets to be peaceful and happy?

Just had a quick look at your site, looks really good and will read more when I get the chance! TNG always was my fave

I've started watching them on Nexflix. I remember seeing an episode here and there back in the day. A few in and the characters are far more interesting than the stories they are in. The most interesting thing is seeing scenes that have been used in memes and gifs.

It takes a few seasons to fully get into its stride IMO but the last few seasons are really good. I liked the darker tone which led into ds9 and first contact was brilliant

I never understood why first seasons get so much negativity.
Yes, they were a bit of a mess but still fun to watch.
Plus it was THE MAN'S VISION and you gotta respect that.

first contact was brilliant
FC is as far from brilliant as it could get. :lol

I remember an episode where Picard gets zapped and wakes up in some city with amnesia and ends up living there for the rest of his life, only to wake up a few seconds after he was initially zapped. What a serious mind ****. Not sure what season that was, but I consider it one of the best TV show episodes I've watched.

FC is as far from brilliant as it could get. :lol

I like how their history portrays Cochran as this great man that devoted his creation to humanity, only to find out this great man was doing it all for the nookie.

Back