Why haven’t Hot Toys picked up the Harry Potter license?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We tend to assume that because it's a license "we" like or that it appears to be a popular one that merchandise will sell. As far as 1/6 dollies go when assume a lot. While HP may be a "hot" property that doesn't necessarily translate into 1/6 figure sales.

Was always curious, it has to be enough interest right?

It’s not a popular franchise in Asia, which is their primary market, despite us thinking it is the USA and beyond. So no, I don’t think there is actually enough interest. Star Ace isn’t doing so hot with the license and that was before the recent hiccups. Fantastic Beasts isn’t doing anything for the property either. Your best bet for quality Potter figures in the near future is sadly going to just be LEGO. For some reason this property just hadn’t caught on with licensing like SW, Marvel, or DC has. LotR struggles too. I guess British fantasy literature isn’t a huge draw for Asian toy makers.

It’s not a popular franchise in Asia, which is their primary market, despite us thinking it is the USA and beyond. So no, I don’t think there is actually enough interest. Star Ace isn’t doing so hot with the license and that was before the recent hiccups. Fantastic Beasts isn’t doing anything for the property either. Your best bet for quality Potter figures in the near future is sadly going to just be LEGO. For some reason this property just hadn’t caught on with licensing like SW, Marvel, or DC has. LotR struggles too. I guess British fantasy literature isn’t a huge draw for Asian toy makers.

Is Lego going to be making sets this year?

We tend to assume that because it's a license "we" like or that it appears to be a popular one that merchandise will sell. As far as 1/6 dollies go when assume a lot. While HP may be a "hot" property that doesn't necessarily translate into 1/6 figure sales.

No assumption I just thought with like 8 movies or so and nice portion of Walt Disney theme park dedicated to a whole castle of it also it would be more popular

No assumption I just thought with like 8 movies or so and nice portion of Walt Disney theme park dedicated to a whole castle of it also it would be more popular

There's no Harry Potter stuff at any of the Walt Disney Theme Parks..???

You might be right about it being popular, but that doesn't mean it translates to the 1/6 collecting world.
I know it's not the same scale, but Neca had the license when the movies where still being made and got to about series 4 I believe. They even changed the scale. Don't know if that had to do with sales or not. Many of Star Ace's offerings are still fairly available at or below MSRP.

It's at Universal, but I know what you meant, Titan.

They have a section of the Universal Studios Park AND Islands of Adventure Park dedicated to Potter.

It's at Universal, but I know what you meant, Titan.

They have a section of the Universal Studios Park AND Islands of Adventure Park dedicated to Potter.

Glad you told me I’d been in the wrong park looking for it this Summer

Glad you told me I’d been in the wrong park looking for it this Summer

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I've been to see the set-up at both parks. I'm not the biggest Potter fan, but it's definitely a must-see. Well worth it, ESPECIALLY if you're a Potter fan. The details are crazy awesome. Judging by the crowd distribution when I was there, I definitely think it's the fan favorite.

You might be right about it being popular, but that doesn't mean it translates to the 1/6 collecting world.
I know it's not the same scale, but Neca had the license when the movies where still being made and got to about series 4 I believe. They even changed the scale. Don't know if that had to do with sales or not. Many of Star Ace's offerings are still fairly available at or below MSRP.

Yeah one can dream for the Hot Toys touch on it though lol thanks all a lot of what you guys said make sense guess it just ain’t that popular in China like states

The issue with Neca was that they were making brittle action-statues instead of action figures back then.

Hot Toys has done a rubbish job of Star Wars - Han Solo, Obi Wan and Luke are underwhelming likenesses, Leia's dress is poor and the costumes generally are good-to-ok.

HT may have done a better job with the Potter line than Star Ace, but they wouldn't have gone as deep and likely skipped key characters for no apparent reason.

Star Ace is skipping characters for no apparent reason as well. wtf is POA Ron... hold up never mind. He'd probably wind up looking like Sloth from Goonies or Ed Sheeran and cost nearly $250.

Teen Hermione and Malfoy might be a sign that sales haven't been what they expected. That's not an excuse for the quality, but if revenue isn't coming in corners tend to be cut.

Not popular enough everywhere. Probably relevant if they do it 10 years ago.

But now, no one remember this franchise.

Back