Had Enough and Sold My Collection.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm allowed to create a thread like this but yeah.

I have all the Hot Toys from Avengers and AOU, but there is this issue about them being made in low quality materials and sometimes horrible sculpts.

Why I still buy them when they are sculpted poorly? Because I want to complete them and maybe show it to the world that I have them all?

It felt like it, I don't want to spend thousands of money and keep it to myself. I share my photos here and on Instagram to feel good and share my interest.

But then it happened Leather flakes on Nick Fury, leather dyed Hawkeye's armpits, Thor's wrist guard dyed his skin etc.

And I grew tired of waiting for Hulkbuster and the wait made me wonder why I collect these expensive stuffs in the first place.

Not only they are difficult to sell in secondary market, you have to sell at a loss for someone to be interested in.

So I sold them all to a close friend of mine who runs a hobby shop without regrets but the only regret I had was starting this hobby of collecting Hot Toys.

I have all the Hot Toys from Avengers and AOU, but there is this issue about them being made in low quality materials and sometimes horrible sculpts.

Why I still buy them when they are sculpted poorly? Because I want to complete them and maybe show it to the world that I have them all?

It felt like it, I don't want to spend thousands of money and keep it to myself. I share my photos here and on Instagram to feel good and share my interest.

But then it happened Leather flakes on Nick Fury, leather dyed Hawkeye's armpits, Thor's wrist guard dyed his skin etc.

And I grew tired of waiting for Hulkbuster and the wait made me wonder why I collect these expensive stuffs in the first place.

Not only they are difficult to sell in secondary market, you have to sell at a loss for someone to be interested in.

So I sold them all to a close friend of mine who runs a hobby shop without regrets but the only regret I had was starting this hobby of collecting Hot Toys.

Cool. If you aren’t happy buying them, then it’s a great move to sell them off. I’m not sure why you are selling at a loss, but maybe that’s true with the newer figures. I sold off some of my collection 1.5 years ago and got around $15K to put towards a new car. The vast majority of the figures sold for a profit, but I had some older figures in the collection. DX Joker, Gantry, etc. I may sell off some more figures after I move to a new place in a month and set up my new displays. I question if I need 4 Thors or Caps...and I’ll probably just keep my favorite(s). [emoji848] I’ve owned pretty much all of the Marvel and DC HT figures and purge some every few years.

This is an expensive hobby, and if you aren’t getting joy out of it you need to stop.

I can’t wait to get my Hulkbuster. It’s going to be the centerpiece of my collection after my move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know exactly how you feel, I didnt go quite as far as you but I scaled back and really focused on key pieces I needed to have. but the secondary market is over, you get a hit once in a while (knightmare bats) but its never worth reselling, also evidenced by everyone's desire to now wait for sales etc. Just wait for Hot toys Infinity war, everything that came before will be utterly worthless

Cool. If you aren’t happy buying them, then it’s a great move to sell them off. I’m not sure why you are selling at a loss, but maybe that’s true with the newer figures. I sold off some of my collection 1.5 years ago and got around $15K to put towards a new car. The vast majority of the figures sold for a profit, but I had some older figures in the collection. DX Joker, Gantry, etc. I may sell off some more figures after I move to a new place in a month and set up my new displays. I question if I need 4 Thors or Caps...and I’ll probably just keep my favorite(s). [emoji848] I’ve owned pretty much all of the Marvel and DC HT figures and purge some every few years.

This is an expensive hobby, and if you aren’t getting joy out of it you need to stop.

I can’t wait to get my Hulkbuster. It’s going to be the centerpiece of my collection after my move.

To be honest, I never had a favorite figure from either of the Avengers movies.

The best of them all to me is AOU Capt, other than that the rest are pretty disappointing. I always have this mindset to collect them all since they are all part of the "Avengers" and it'll be pretty weird to skip 1 or 2 figures. The hype is there once you received your figure but it lasts for about a week? And it stays in your shelve and that's it.

But yeah, people aren't willing to pay for collector's price and it'll be ages to sell them one by one. So I'd rather just sell it to someone I know who can make a business out of it.

Good for you. It’s not easy to keep up with these things, and most of the time they lose their “wow” factor pretty quick. Are you done collecting altogether or just HT?

I know exactly how you feel, I didnt go quite as far as you but I scaled back and really focused on key pieces I needed to have. but the secondary market is over, you get a hit once in a while (knightmare bats) but its never worth reselling, also evidenced by everyone's desire to now wait for sales etc. Just wait for Hot toys Infinity war, everything that came before will be utterly worthless

I hate how over saturated the secondary market is now, especially when there are non collectors selling good pieces at a loss (I don't know why.).

And I agree with you on how newer sequels kills off the price for the older versions.

I think I really had enough of this, it got worse when I have to pay so much for simple characters like Quicksilver and Maria Hill. It's really ridiculous.

Good for you. It’s not easy to keep up with these things, and most of the time they lose their “wow” factor pretty quick. Are you done collecting altogether or just HT?

Now I'm focusing more on Star Wars SHFs and Black Series, which I find it much more easier to collect and play with. (You really can't play with Hot Toys especially when they are so prone to wear and tear.)

And I have been collecting Star Wars figures for a long time and find it much more satisfying than Hot Toys tho.

Really enjoyed taking photos with the smaller figures as well, I don't have to walk back and fourth lugging a few 1/12 figurines whenever I feel like taking pictures.

I think I really had enough of this, it got worse when I have to pay so much for simple characters like Quicksilver and Maria Hill. It's really ridiculous.

You didn’t HAVE to buy Quicksilver or Maria Hill. Quicksilver is one of the few character I skipped entirely since I though the design was horrible (better than Electro). It can be hit or miss on exclusives like Maria Hill. I really like Maria personally, I have no clue what the street price is for her.

I used to buy everything, but around AoU I became more selective. I have pretty much all the teams...other than Quicksilver.

You didn’t HAVE to buy Quicksilver or Maria Hill. Quicksilver is one of the few character I skipped entirely since I though the design was horrible (better than Electro). It can be hit or miss on exclusives like Maria Hill. I really like Maria personally, I have no clue what the street price is for her.

I used to buy everything, but around AoU I became more selective. I have pretty much all the teams...other than Quicksilver.

I know, but I had to since they are part of the Avengers and are in the movies. It'll be very weird to skip them.

I know, but I had to since they are part of the Avengers and are in the movies. It'll be very weird to skip them.

I don’t feel weird about skipping Quicksilver, and I have something like 120 Hot Toys in my current collection. Ugly design that looks nothing like the comic version to me. To each their own, I guess. [emoji848]

I don’t feel weird about skipping Quicksilver, and I have something like 120 Hot Toys in my current collection. Ugly design that looks nothing like the comic version to me. To each their own, I guess. [emoji848]

I understand what you are trying to say.

And it got to a point that getting notified to pick up another Hot Toys has become a chore. Pay for toy, got home, "Hey SSFreaks look what I got today!", puts in display shelf, carry on with life.

I think it's a great move to get out if you're not into it anymore -- what could be simpler?

Myself, I've never felt any desire to be a completist, and have purged regularly, focusing down on key items I really enjoy.

I had A LOT of SHF at one point, but they were getting too cluttered for me I guess, so I ended up focusing only on HT -- ended up with less overall.

When/if the time comes, I can sell it all but without regret, as I will have been entertained, at the very least.

But I applaud your move; do what feels right!

This is why I'm pretty much getting to the point to just sticking to figures from films that you know will likely not be made again, at least for awhile. Films and characters that you grew up with in your childhood and have an emotional attachment to. OT Star Wars, Reeve Superman, BW Ghostbusters, BttF, etc. Right now with the DCEU, MCU and the Star Wars ST, any figure you get of a current character is just going to be replaced in the next year with a new and improved version, making it difficult to keep up with which one is the "definitive" one.

I don't see HT doing Reeve Superman again anytime soon, I don't see them doing BttF again anytime soon, I don't see anyone doing Ghostbusters again anytime soon and I don't see them redoing many of the OT figures anytime soon (sans Vader). It makes it easier to enjoy what you have knowing that there's not going to be a newer and improved version anytime soon.

I think it's a great move to get out if you're not into it anymore -- what could be simpler?

Myself, I've never felt any desire to be a completist, and have purged regularly, focusing down on key items I really enjoy.

I had A LOT of SHF at one point, but they were getting too cluttered for me I guess, so I ended up focusing only on HT -- ended up with less overall.

When/if the time comes, I can sell it all but without regret, as I will have been entertained, at the very least.

But I applaud your move; do what feels right!

I sold all my SHF Avengers too, but at a great price with no losses.

I believe I have learnt a lesson or two after all these years.

Now I'm focusing more on Star Wars which I have been since young, I have no regrets getting any Star Wars products but Marvel. Which I still don't know why, but I am shunning anything Marvel recently.

This hobby is very hype-driven for sure. As a toy robot collector I found 6th scale figures when SSC released R2 and 3PO; it didn't take long before I had the Heartbreaker and Silver Centurion on the shelf with the MK 43 and HB on PO. Fortunately I got a grip on collecting early on, mostly because of space limitations but also realizing I didn't need every IM suit. I now consider the MK 43 and HB THE IM figures of my collection. So it's been about three years since I found these figures and am at a count of 29 in my collection...not a lot by most collectors standards. I'm very selective these days and collect Star Wars for the most part; the only ones I have boxed are the Heartbreaker and Silver Centurion and would sell them in an instant...all the others I thoroughly enjoy.

I sold all my SHF Avengers too, but at a great price with no losses.

I believe I have learnt a lesson or two after all these years.

Now I'm focusing more on Star Wars which I have been since young, I have no regrets getting any Star Wars products but Marvel. Which I still don't know why, but I am shunning anything Marvel recently.

Star Wars has a mythic staying power -- at least the OT does. Also depends on when in your formative years it hit you. It's tied to times and places that the MCU may not be.

Thats why im stuck AoU main 3, Keaton returns, SS bats and maaaaybe spiderman. On po now. Shoot also joker 1/4. But i think that will be it for me. My collection consists of comic statues anyways. Less fear of them getting ruined on the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be all about hot toys. Now I find much more satisfaction in cheaper figures I can get from the store. At the end of the day, they serve the same purpose; a physical representation of characters I care about. I still have that urge to get the HT figures of characters that have alot of meaning to me personally like Anakin, but I've been considering cancelling my pre order. But by the time its released, I'll probably get caught up in the hype and have no hesitation in getting it. It's a constant cycle that never seems to end.

Thats why im stuck AoU main 3, Keaton returns, SS bats and maaaaybe spiderman. On po now. Shoot also joker 1/4. But i think that will be it for me. My collection consists of comic statues anyways. Less fear of them getting ruined on the long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of Marvel stuff I've *really* enjoyed, but I didn't have a crazy big collection -- that said I cut it down to stuff that mostly resonates with my childhood -- Avengers Hulk (I stand by the statement that it's the only Hulk anyone needs :lecture ) , diecast Mark 6, Homecoming Spidey and CW Black Widow. The BW I want because I think she's a great contrast to the machine aesthetic of Iron Man and the beastly Hulk -- I only discovered her character recently.

Sold Ant-Man, Deadpool, Avengers Cap, custom Logan and Luke Cage. Not because I didn't thoroughly enjoy the characters and source material, but because they didn't resonate as deeply in the end -- and there was no way to find out I guess, until I bought the figures.

Another time of my life that was a blast and connected to a certain aesthetic would be the early '90s. Makes me consider picking up The Crow and Returns Bats, but I'm in no hurry.

Star Wars was a bear to collect, but for me what works is sticking with designs of characters I like, and ignoring continuity, scene-building, completism of any kind. When I found myself building a list of the "essential ESB" I said "Hell with this, I'll spend that money on a trip instead".

Collect what you Love and never buy into the hype of the Next best thing. Like today hot toys releasing yet another Affleck Bats suit barely changed from last release. When i jumped into this crazy hobby i dreamed of a Star war's O.t collection and pretty much stuck to my rule only buy what really Love inspire's you. Like The Fight club movie line' The things you own end up owning you. We buy things we don’t need, with money we don’t have, to impress people we don’t like. Why The Hell would buy things you dont like ??? IDK ???:dunno:lol I collect because enjoy the art of it. I'm staring at my Ghost rider i dont even need to watch the crap tv show or movie adaption but the story behind him that brings me joy & pride to own from my favorite comics growing up. I buy only Favorite's i'll never get old waking up to old Ben Kenobi and my O.T collection or Favorite X-men or my Christopher Reeve's Fortress of solitude. Again just buy what you love and skip ALL THE REST. You are the one that has to look at it everyday. Its a hobby not a competition.

Back