therapy, anyone?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OisterNeck

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I was wondering who among you have been to a therapist or is still seeing/speaking with one? I read an article about being depressed for no reason and I found it to be a bit true, looking at myself, that is.

There's a few mental health practitioners on the forums who can point you in the right direction. I'm not betting many people will be open to this topic without trivial responses. Feel free to PM me about the topic.

There's nothing wrong or embarrassing about seeking therapy and mental health issue is a very common ailment that society would often brush off. If anything, you should be proud of seeking therapy since it shows that you're taking steps towards a more fulfilling life unhampered by anything.

I remember when I shared my dilemma to a friend she told me, "Maybe it's just your brain cells." because there are times I woke up in the morning I feel empty and sad for no particular reason.

You should speak to someone. Or at least your GP in the first instance.

I have suffered from depression in the past (reactive) and I saw a therapist for a number of weeks. It certainly was cathartic and I defintiely got something out of it. There is nothing to feel embarrassed about and it is important that you have recognised you may need some help. That's the first step.

All the best.

I've always been in love with this quote from the oft-forgotten Star Trek: Generations: "Normal is what everyone else is, and you are not."

I firmly believe that we, all of us, have some sort of deviation from the 'normal,' mentally. I went through a rough patch about a year ago after my Dad died (which, oddly enough, didn't kick in until about 9 months after he passed). For me, it was anxiety. I had panic attacks. Cold sweats, neck stiffness and pain, chest pain, dizziness, inability to breathe, spots in my eyes. Can't even recall all of it, now. I was able to work through it with some therapy and those happy pink pills, which I've now weened myself off of. I still struggle from time to time with flareups, but it's much better now.

Point is, no one should disparage anyone. You don't know how their mind works or what they've been through.

Oh, and that's Gillian Jacobs, Mr. Green (not to get too far off-topic).

I have seen a Psychiatrist for a decade or more now. My current doctor is awesome. I have mild/moderate depression and years' long battle with sleep related issues. Not embarrassed to talk about it in the slightest. Took me a long time to find a doctor that, in my personal experience, truly wants to help.

I highly recommend help if you need it. For myself, I find it much easier to talk to (initially) a stranger than a family member. And not giving a crap what other people think really helps. And as much as medication can help if a doctor feels its appropriate to you ( I had to do a DNA type test with my current doctor first), things like walking, and general exercise can help cases like mine a bit or a lot at times.

Last edited:
I've always been in love with this quote from the oft-forgotten Star Trek: Generations: "Normal is what everyone else is, and you are not."

I firmly believe that we, all of us, have some sort of deviation from the 'normal,' mentally. I went through a rough patch about a year ago after my Dad died (which, oddly enough, didn't kick in until about 9 months after he passed). For me, it was anxiety. I had panic attacks. Cold sweats, neck stiffness and pain, chest pain, dizziness, inability to breathe, spots in my eyes. Can't even recall all of it, now. I was able to work through it with some therapy and those happy pink pills, which I've now weened myself off of. I still struggle from time to time with flareups, but it's much better now.

Point is, no one should disparage anyone. You don't know how their mind works or what they've been through.

Oh, and that's Gillian Jacobs, Mr. Green (not to get too far off-topic).

Thanks for the info. It doesn't even looks like her but w/e. Maybe it's the makeup.

I saw this topic when the thread was created but wasn't sure if the poster was serious since it was their first post. I know I'm new myself but to start an "Other Topic" thread about therapy on a collector site with your first post is bold. That said this is a very important topic to me, so if the OP, or anyone who stops by, is really interested in the topic I felt compelled and actually obligated to share. I will get the punchline out of the way... I would recommend that everyone see a counselor/psychologist even if you don't have depression, anxiety or other mental issues. I realize this won't happen, and people that don't have or aren't concerned with their mental health won't stop by this thread, let alone see a counselor. I don't blame them, and the insurance companies won't help them either, at least in the US. Also I get it because it took me 18 years from when I thought talking to someone might help to when I actually went to see one. I'm 38 and have been seeing a psychologist for 5+ years. My work with a therapist has been invaluable to me, a generally guarded person, to open up and learn about myself. It also improves my connection with others. I believe therapy can help anyone find more enjoyment and perhaps meaning in their life, it has done both for me.

I also recommend it to any married couples (or anyone in a relationship), especially if there are concerns regarding communication and/or romance. It was unfortunately too late for my marriage but it was my first introduction to a therapist It helped with my view and understanding of relationships and what's important to me. Then, later, it helped me through the divorce and gave us guidance on how to minimize the impact on our kids at the time and going forward (6 and 4 at the time). Our 6 year old actually saw a counselor, or as she calls them Feelings Doctor, for a bit and now she wants to be one!

I grew up in a household where feelings weren't shared, at least by men, and nothing major was shared outside the family. It's actually still very much like that, but it has gotten better. Given my upbringing, opening up to a stranger didn't come easy. But the counselor understood this and basically let me know that none of it was unique to me and people have gone through it all, so once I realized that and by about the third session I was able to be completely honest. It was an unbelievable feeling and such a relief.

Prior to the divorce, which was awful, I have had some tough experiences that I had never processed or talked to anyone about, but since I began talking to a therapist I've been able to process many of these experiences and it gives me a outlet and forum to discuss any current issues. Therapy also prepared me face one of largest struggles in my life and have helped me find the Friends of Bill W., a group that ultimately saved my life. If you are a fellow friend give me a shout!

I also want to add a note regarding engaging a therapist in part or because of Addiction/Abuse... Before choosing a therapist make sure they are very familiar with the topic. Mental health issues are often or, usually, a factor in drug and alcohol abuse. However, this isn't something that is covered in detail during the education of a psychologist. Many believe they can help but if they aren't an expert on the subject this can be dangerous, primarily because it will often prolong the abuse.

If you feel like you want to talk about any of these issues with a fellow, but anonymous, collector send me a PM.

Therapy is amazing it has helped me for the last 10 years as well I’m 35 now. I first started when my sister tried to commit suicide. It devastated me, so my psychiatrist has helped me get through so much grief. I’ve been continuously going for relationship issues, and grieving of my father 2 years ago. I’m also open and will to talk with fellow collector, just send me a PM.

Just a quick post to mirror what has been said before about people not talking about their feelings, especially (but not always) men. Therapy has literally saved many lives and it is so important to explore yourself and understand what your motivations are, why you act a certain way and how to be the best version of you. I also recommend a somewhat Buddhist outlook in the way that acceptance is key to freeing yourself from inner struggles. There is a book called radical acceptance which might help if you're wanting a bit of spiritual healing

Therapy , with the right therapist will yield life long answer to issues.....drugs are a patch that mostly hide issues and mask symptoms while not addressing the actual problems.

Drugs have their place, but in this practitioners opinion , they are vastly over prescribed and over relied on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're doing exactly the right thing already so you don't need to ask.

Join a niche hobby site about toy collecting and pop culture and go right to the section of the site that allows you to post completely randomly about literally anything else instead. Cures depression every time.

Back