Anybody else was dissapointed in Disney so much that he went back to the old canon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I expected MCU level brand management at least some personal quircks to show up in Disney Star Wars. i expected i would embrace after i mourned the EU.

After i saw what they done i just decided to go back to the old EU and read what i did not manage to read before.

E063WXH.jpg

Jesus, nothing really ever remains one canon over time. It's all subjective, and series' become full of so many rewrites and contradictions along the way. What's canon in the Highlander series? The first movie only really. Jaws? maybe the first two, then it gets messy. Halloween? ha!

X-Men? even allowing for the time travel angle the entire franchise as one big piece of work, it just doesn't work. How many die-hard Trekkies ignore the new movies as being tied to the original.

If you want to consider Rogue One as one possible version of events before ANH and Shadows of the Empire as actually taking place around the time of Empire Strikes Back... just do it... God knows there is enough wrong with the prequel movies to interpret Obi-Wan's dialogue to Luke as actually meaning that Yoda trained Obi-Wan to use the Force, so Obi-Wan took it upon himself to try and train Anakin as Yoda had done with him (but failed to do as well, so Anakin fell to the Dark Side)... rather than this Yoda being the head of a Jedi Council where they start so young that Anakin is considered too old to train (yet a young adult Luke can self train himself after a few weeks on a swamp planet with Yoda)

But, I'm sure this has all been said here before.. :p

You bumped the thread. You do.:devil

Jesus, nothing really ever remains one canon over time. It's all subjective, and series' become full of so many rewrites and contradictions along the way. What's canon in the Highlander series? The first movie only really. Jaws? maybe the first two, then it gets messy. Halloween? ha!

X-Men? even allowing for the time travel angle the entire franchise as one big piece of work, it just doesn't work. How many die-hard Trekkies ignore the new movies as being tied to the original.

If you want to consider Rogue One as one possible version of events before ANH and Shadows of the Empire as actually taking place around the time of Empire Strikes Back... just do it... God knows there is enough wrong with the prequel movies to interpret Obi-Wan's dialogue to Luke as actually meaning that Yoda trained Obi-Wan to use the Force, so Obi-Wan took it upon himself to try and train Anakin as Yoda had done with him (but failed to do as well, so Anakin fell to the Dark Side)... rather than this Yoda being the head of a Jedi Council where they start so young that Anakin is considered too old to train (yet a young adult Luke can self train himself after a few weeks on a swamp planet with Yoda)

But, I'm sure this has all been said here before.. :p

The old canon kept chugging along in the case of Trek and the comics and the movies do not contradict on other in the new one. I do not think there is big enough market for the old canon but i am amazed how underwhelmed i was by the Disney stuff. I enjoy Rebels that has the Clone Wars creative team. I would say SW canon was more unique than Jaws and Highlander canon.

Relax, every new thread is an adventure...:lecture

What makes you hate New Star Wars but apparently like New Star Trek?

Rogue One seemed stitched together from 2 movies and the first one was an ANH remake.Based on what i heard Mavel did not really make better SW comics than Dark HOrse and i was pretty bored by all the big 3 adventures.

I never cared about political aspects of Trek minus Starfleet staying Starfleet so it was easy to roll with new Trek and alternate universes are also common in Trek.

Jaws canon? It’s about a shark eating people. Should of stopped at 1

Jaws canon? It’s about a shark eating people. Should of stopped at 1

Still a quadralogy that uses the same family in each movie... just like Star Wars is a pair of space action trilogies revolving around one family..

I don't think we have enough movies yet to judge whether the new canon has something to offer that the old canon didn't. At least new stories in the canon are actually represented in movies instead of things like the weird shadows of the empire multimedia event. At the moment, the only thing I find truly disappointing about the new canon is that the characters I care about had horrible fates. I would have liked Luke, Han, and Leia to have lived lives that didn't seem to result in such failure. Other than that, the stories have at least been pretty well done, if not ambitious enough.

As for the non-movie material, I personally think the first two years of the Marvel series were been better than most of what came from Dark Horse. They were well written and it felt like the events were impactful. The first Vader series was a particular highlight as the writer did a good job of keeping Vader in character while throwing some interesting challenges at him. I haven't read many books from the new canon but from what I hear, they aren't very good. Nothing on par with the Thrawn series of books in the old canon. Though I guess they don't have any yuuzhan vong, so they have to be at least better than some of the old canon books. Rebels seems alright bough I haven't watched much. Certainly better than that silly in-canon comedy show that Lucas was planning.

Last edited:
I don't think we have enough movies yet to judge whether the new canon has something to offer that the old canon didn't. At least new stories in the canon are actually represented in movies instead of things like the weird shadows of the empire multimedia event. At the moment, the only thing I find truly disappointing about the new canon is that the characters I care about had horrible fates. I would have liked Luke, Han, and Leia to have lived lives that didn't seem to result in such failure. Other than that, the stories have at least been pretty well done, if not ambitious enough.

As for the non-movie material, I personally think the first two years of the Marvel series were been better than most of what came from Dark Horse. They were well written and it felt like the events were impactful. The first Vader series was a particular highlight as the writer did a good job of keeping Vader in character while throwing some interesting challenges at him. I haven't read many books from the new canon but from what I hear, they aren't very good. Nothing on par with the Thrawn series of books in the old canon. Though I guess they don't have any yuuzhan vong, so they have to be at least better than some of the old canon books. Rebels seems alright bough I haven't watched much. Certainly better than that silly in-canon comedy show that Lucas was planning.

I get it if somone wishes that the Vong never existed but there were some great Vong Invasion books.

I get it if somone wishes that the Vong never existed but there were some great Vong Invasion books.

Admittedly, I stopped after the first few books so I don't doubt it. I personally lost interest because of the Vong and the switch in focus to the Skywalker and Solo kids. If the writing were top notch I might have cared about those characters but the books I read didn't give me much reason to.

The Disney buyout is great in that we're getting more SW movies that we otherwise wouldn't have. Guess that's not much consolation if you haven't liked them thus far.

TFA & RO may have been too reliant on their parallels with/connections to ANH, but they were still good films. And I have even higher hopes for TLJ.

And while I mourn the passing of EU stories such as the old Marvel comics, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Dark Empire, Shadows of the Empire etc. at least they're resurrecting some of the best bits (eg Thrawn). And the new Marvel comics have been better than was feared.

In the end it's all make-believe anyway, whether canon or Legends. Pick and choose as you will.

Back