My First Spider-Man Comic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62921

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First, allow me to clarify: I grew up with Spider-Man. I've been a fan of the character for as long as I can remember, and ardently watched the animated series from the 90s (as well as, to a lesser extent, the one from the 60s) in my childhood. I’ve played most of the video games. I have naturally watched all of the films as well, and have a moderate grasp of his universe and its characters. I love Spider-Man.

It's strange, then, that despite my affinity for the character, I've not finished a single Spider-Man comic book. I had one or two books as a child and cursorily glanced at them, but never read them to the point of retention or interest. I'd read novels during that time so it might have been the format that I found so off-putting, but, in any case, Spider-Man comics, and comic books in general, didn't appeal to me.

In recent years, however, my interest in reading comic books has increased. I read some of the more important and seminal Batman comics (Year One, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, etc.) but, for a few reasons, found myself uninterested in reading on. Then it occurred to me that, because I’ve loved Spider-Man for so many years, I owe it to myself to read some of his stories, which brings me to the purpose of this thread and my question for all of you: Where should I start?

My favourite villain is and always has been the Green Goblin, and I’ve always been interested in reading his origin. For that reason, I’ve been eying The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 2, which, to my knowledge, features that story. I also appreciate the illustrations and designs of John Romita Sr., so that’s another incentive.

Venom, Maximum Carnage, The Night Gwen Stacy Died and Kraven’s Last Hunt are among my interests as well. As much as I love Spider-Man himself, the villains have also played a big role in my fandom. The Green Goblin, the Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Shocker, Doctor Octopus, Lizard, Venom, Carnage… I love them all and would love to peruse their most noteworthy stories.

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Instead of the omnibus route you can get the Spider-man epic collection trades. They are going to do all of the issues eventually but are jumping around. They are doing the stories chronologically and contain all of the annuals and crossover issues as well. Check out instock trades for some deals. They a cheaper alternative to the omnibuses unless you really like the stories. I have some of the omnibus and you really want to lay them on a table to read so I don't read them as often as a light trade paperback. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, Punisher. I appreciate it.

I decided to take your advice and buy The Goblin's Last Stand and Kraven's Last Hunt from the Epic Collection, instead of taking the omnibus route. Spider-Man No More will also be released next year so I'll be buying that, as well as the rest of the collection, when the time comes -- provided I enjoy my recent purchases, of course. I predict that I will.

I can't wait. :yess:

I think you will be happy with them and your welcome. I know that they are releasing them all at some point but not sure how long it will take. They are great reads and will hold up pretty well to repeated reading. Overall a really good value especially if you find them on sale. Glad I was able to help. Anything else just shoot me a pm.

I think you will be happy with them and your welcome. I know that they are releasing them all at some point but not sure how long it will take. They are great reads and will hold up pretty well to repeated reading. Overall a really good value especially if you find them on sale. Glad I was able to help. Anything else just shoot me a pm.

Will do! Thanks again, bud.

Back