Amazon LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Some of those TV shows have ridiculous budgets nowadays. If they can even do half of what Game of Thrones puts into theirs, it could be very well done. But personally, the films scratched that itch for me.

At first I was like "HOLY JESUS, YES!"

But then I remembered that it'll be made with this type of idiots in mind:

And of course some random African, Arab and Asian people will be cast for half the roles.

. . .

18722510_113725072551243_528548850223284224_n.jpg

To me, this is pretty sacred ground, artistically speaking. That trilogy (NOT the Hobbit trilogy) is pretty damn near perfect in my eyes. It'd be like remaking Jaws.

That said, from a purely commercial point of view you can't really fault Warner Bros. It would be foolish to let IP with this kind of name recognition lay fallow. I get why they're doing it. But I REALLY wish they'd leave it alone.

(Though, I wouldn't mind somebody taking another shot at the The Hobbit.)

What I'd most LOVE to see them do in series form would be to tackle some of the stories from The Silmarillion or some of the other stand-alone stories like the Children of Hurin. Granted, the Tolkien estate has been VERY resistant to selling those rights in the past ... but maaaybe they're softening on that? Maybe? :pray:

I doubt that this will be remake of LotR. I think it will be new stories with Hobbits, Elves, etc.

I'm game!

What I'd most LOVE to see them do in series form would be to tackle some of the stories from The Silmarillion or some of the other stand-alone stories like the Children of Hurin.

Exactly, The Silmarillion FTW. Feanor and Morgoth, The Flight of the Noldor, Ungoliant and the Balrogs, Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Gondolin, Ancalagon the Black. The Host of the Valar. If done right it could be very interesting. Everything else has been done already.

The first trilogy was perfect so I don't see the point unless it Silmarillion, that could be interesting

What I'd most LOVE to see them do in series form would be to tackle some of the stories from The Silmarillion or some of the other stand-alone stories like the Children of Hurin. Granted, the Tolkien estate has been VERY resistant to selling those rights in the past ... but maaaybe they're softening on that? Maybe? :pray:

Considering that there’s potential for selling the rights at all at this point suggests they’re softening a little.

Of course, the LOTR and Hobbit movies only got made because Tolkien sold the rights to the Saul Zaentz Company in the 60s or 70s when he thought that no one could ever feasibly make the books into films. The Estate wouldn’t have sold those rights past Tolkien’s death, and certainly didn’t want to sell the rights for the rest of Tolkien’s work. That’s why in An Unexpected Journey, Gandalf claims that he can’t remember the names of the Blue Wizards - they didn’t actually have the rights to use the wizards’ names (they’re only mentioned in Unfinished Tales) so they had to skirt around it.

If the Estate have seen the potential in long-form television for telling Tolkien’s story more truly to the books than the movies (which did the books as much justice as humanly possible considering the source material and the film format, IMO), then it’s not completely impossible that the Silmarillion could be done.

The Silmarillion might be too hard a sell though. LOTR has brand recognition while The Silmarillion is really inaccessible for a general audience. Just think about how the episode lengths would have to vary from one chapter to another - because they’d have to tackle it chapter at a time, The Silmarillion is an anthology - and how ****ing weird and abstract the first episode would have to be in order to tell Tolkien’s creation myth... the more standard tales like Beren and Luthien, Turin etc. would work really well though I think. And, if tackled faithfully and executed well, the whole thing could be a masterpiece that makes Tolkien’s true life’s work more visible in the public eye: that ain’t a bad thing at all.

At first I was like "HOLY JESUS, YES!"

But then I remembered that it'll be made with this type of idiots in mind:

And of course some random African, Arab and Asian people will be cast for half the roles.

. . .

18722510_113725072551243_528548850223284224_n.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :goodpost:

Yes if they use another era, new characters and another story. Otherwise, please no.

At first, I loved the movies, now, they leave me... Indifferent. I couldn't even watch the 1st Hobbit through. I really think this world is overrated: three or four villages, a big bad guy, and an overall empty world. There are so many better fantasy world to steal from...

(Waits for the bashing to begins...)

I’d be up for a Tales of the Middle Earth type of series. Not sure we need another LotR retelling.

Back