Review of Jareth the Goblin King (Labyrinth) figure from McFarlane Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kheas

Super Freak
Reaction score
if there is a bright center of the universe, where
Below is a link to my newest action figure review. In this one we tackle the latest release from McFarlane Toys, Jareth the Goblin King!

https://latetothegame.blog/2017/10/17/action-figure-review-jareth-the-goblin-king-mcfarlane-toys/

I hope you enjoy!
f5e05671cae062deab51a58a90e0cb94.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'd love to see a 1/6 figure of Jareth, I just don't think a smaller scale would cut it.

Thanks for the review. Mine is sitting in my Pile of Loot until a couple other orders arrive. I really like the figure and would love to see McFarlane tackle a few more of the characters but haven't heard anything to that effect. Is anyone aware of any future plans for Labyrinth?

NECA's is still superior.

I honestly don't think so. At least the NECA figure I have. The body is amazing, but the head on this one blows the NECA one away. Now, could a modern NECA figure made today look better? Sure.

This look fantastic! Now I'm even more excited for Jen and Kira next year.

I will pick this up. I'm also of the oppinion that NECA's sculpt is better, but this isn't bad. I'll take any Labyrinth merchandise we can get.

Ack sorry managed to delete the post (editing on a phone = nearly impossible...)

I own both of the older 6" (or whatever the scale is) Neca figures and the new addition, overall I think the two older Neca figures are superior. In the lovely photos provided by JonWes above you can clearly see the level of additional costume detail that Neca took the time to include, that's missing on the slightly cartoony Mcfarlane sculpts.

Headsculpt-wise neither of the Neca sculpts nor the new sculpt quite hit the mark, but I think the Neca is closer. The new sculpt is passable, if a bit soft - but the detail that really makes it pop above the older Neca figures is the level detail in the paint. You can clearly see the differently sized pupils and there's been some effort made to add skin texture there.

But the thing that really let's both sets of figures down (beyond that yet again the new figure has limited articulation - I don't get why they bothered with the joints, since the way it's sculpted there's really only one decent looking pose there) is the hair. Now as shown in the photos the Neca hair hasn't aged well, it looks like slightly weird blonde dreadlocks. However the new figure looks like it's wearing an ill-fitting helmet (seriously makes me think of the hair helmet in Flight of the Conchords) - it's especially obvious when comparing to the prototype images on the box that something has gone seriously wonky there!

Basically - l love that the line had been continued, and if you like Labyrinth pick this thing up... But the older figures are still slightly more displayable.

Apart from the rest of the figure, the face sculpt and face paintjob was so flawless I actually hard a hard time being fully satisfied knowing for sure that figure was well done. Once I found a figure that has good paint aps on the body, the head is always the final thing I inspect before purchasing the figure. This figure in the color tops line is by far the best I've seen since their Michonne figure in terms of face paintjob. I was truly disappointed with how their 10 inch Negan and Color Tops Negan ended up in the paint department, Nearly had me worried that Jareth would end the same. However, Jareth actually ended u looking better than the prototype, which is pretty rare for figures nowadays. Most either end up looking worse or as good, but rarely better. I find it safe to say that the final product looks more like David Bowie than the prototype did. To a degree the prototype spoke Jareth, but never Bowie. I just had to get 2 of these just so I can be satisfied for sure the figure was perfect.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

If only they can make a Sarah figure to go along with this...

YS3EyWv.jpg

Last edited:
I really hope they don't stop with Jareth. I'd love a more robust line.

This look fantastic! Now I'm even more excited for Jen and Kira next year.

Did I miss a Dark Crystal announcement or preview? If so I can't wait.

My Jareth arrived yesterday and I love it. I'm glad they didn't exactly go screen accurate with the pelvic area. One less thing I have to explain about why I have this figure displayed above the television in my living room. I actually ordered a second one when I got this, which I almost never do. I'll be disappointed if they are one and done with The Labyrinth but there is nothing on the packaging that implies they'll keep going. This might be wishful thinking but perhaps the sales of Jareth will warrant a Hoggle or even a ballroom Sarah. Has anyone heard anything?

Back