New basement statue displays help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamgroot

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I'm getting my basement finished and just looking at various options to display the statues and collectables I've amassed over the years.

Essentially I'm looking at IKEA as an option or custom display is but just wondering if anyone can post pictures of their displays would provide great insight and ideas!

Just to get an idea of what I need to display
Mainly premium format statues, life-size busts, prime 1 statues are the average height of 35 inches to 40 inches.

For the premium format statues I was thinking of the pax or bestas, just curious what the preferences and which ones will fit more real estate.

Big issue is the life-size busts and the prime one
Think this will require custom cabinets, curious if there's a material preference between wood or laminate? I want to make sure the paint doesn't rub on to the statues, where is there other materials that can be used .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm getting my basement finished and just looking at various options to display the statues and collectables I've amassed over the years.

Essentially I'm looking at IKEA as an option or custom display is but just wondering if anyone can post pictures of their displays would provide great insight and ideas!

Just to get an idea of what I need to display
Mainly premium format statues, life-size busts, prime 1 statues are the average height of 35 inches to 40 inches.

For the premium format statues I was thinking of the pax or bestas, just curious what the preferences and which ones will fit more real estate.

Big issue is the life-size busts and the prime one
Think this will require custom cabinets, curious if there's a material preference between wood or laminate? I want to make sure the paint doesn't rub on to the statues, where is there other materials that can be used .

Wood is better than laminate as it’s sturdier, it can hold more weight and last longer, however it’s more expensive and heavier. I have some Pax and Besta and they are ok (Dark espresso) they are laminated on the outside with the wood look so any of the wood color ones won’t rub off on anything but will chip if hit hard.. If you have the resources you’re better off with wood however the Ikea choices are also good and have held up well.

I'm in a similar boat having just moved.

1) ideally, custom items would be my preference but this may not be the solution for you if you don't have access to the tools or skills necessary to do this. Custom allows for great freedom of materials and aesthetics and frees you to chose....everything. I have Besta from ikea myself atm but frankly, I find them expensive. Nice...but expensive. 85$ for the cabinet. 40$ per door. Hinges. ...in canada it comes up to around $250 all in not including lighting. For that money I'll go custom here on out.

2) what ikea does have going for it is its easy, sturdy and looks good. For those without the resources to do custom this is a great alternative and seems to have almost been done with this hobby in mind.

3) as mentioned, make sure the cabinet is not sitting on the floor directly in case of water. If the cabinet is on a carpeted floor, make sure you place the empty cabinet in its spot to allow it to depress the carpet and settle into a more final position before you load it and anchor it to the wall. This last bit is extremely important as a tipped cabinet may fall and cost you not only the monetary investment into your hobby, but also irreplaceable items. You can lay down boards cut to size for the bottom of the cabinet to raise it and provide a flat surface for it to rest upon.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!!

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Whatever you choose, leave enough height off the floor in case of water

Backflow valve will be installed to avoid any water damage coming into the house

Realize there's other forms of water damage but it's pretty rare in my area

Sounds good I look forward to seeing your new set up

To be honest Ikea is fine but it will only fit stuff like the premium format for statues under 30 inches in width is no way that I can fit prime one statues in Besta or pax.

And if you think 250 is expensive the custom way will cost you much more I've already gotten quoted for custom displays and it's much more expensive than anything Ikea will sell you

I'm in a similar boat having just moved.

1) ideally, custom items would be my preference but this may not be the solution for you if you don't have access to the tools or skills necessary to do this. Custom allows for great freedom of materials and aesthetics and frees you to chose....everything. I have Besta from ikea myself atm but frankly, I find them expensive. Nice...but expensive. 85$ for the cabinet. 40$ per door. Hinges. ...in canada it comes up to around $250 all in not including lighting. For that money I'll go custom here on out.

2) what ikea does have going for it is its easy, sturdy and looks good. For those without the resources to do custom this is a great alternative and seems to have almost been done with this hobby in mind.

3) as mentioned, make sure the cabinet is not sitting on the floor directly in case of water. If the cabinet is on a carpeted floor, make sure you place the empty cabinet in its spot to allow it to depress the carpet and settle into a more final position before you load it and anchor it to the wall. This last bit is extremely important as a tipped cabinet may fall and cost you not only the monetary investment into your hobby, but also irreplaceable items. You can lay down boards cut to size for the bottom of the cabinet to raise it and provide a flat surface for it to rest upon.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!!

Backflow valve will be installed to avoid any water damage coming into the house

Realize there's other forms of water damage but it's pretty rare in my area

I wanted to do this but the coat made it not possible at this point in time. It's a few thousand dollars. :(

Sounds good I look forward to seeing your new set up

To be honest Ikea is fine but it will only fit stuff like the premium format for statues under 30 inches in width is no way that I can fit prime one statues in Besta or pax.

And if you think 250 is expensive the custom way will cost you much more I've already gotten quoted for custom displays and it's much more expensive than anything Ikea will sell you

Oh what I meant was if you're able to do them yourself. If you're handy or have some carpentry skills or k ow someone who can help you out this is a great option. In my area everyone "knows a guy who does cabinets". So that's why this thought popped in that way. If you aren't fortunate to have a connection and you're paying a carpenter for full custom yeah, those prices will make your eyes water. Lol.

Oh what I meant was if you're able to do them yourself. If you're handy or have some carpentry skills or k ow someone who can help you out this is a great option. In my area everyone "knows a guy who does cabinets". So that's why this thought popped in that way. If you aren't fortunate to have a connection and you're paying a carpenter for full custom yeah, those prices will make your eyes water. Lol.

They have a per shelf maximum weight rating. It can be upped by double stacking the shelves but you have to drill your own guide holes.

Anyone have info on pax does anyone have this for displays ?

Custom shelves going in mostly
For
Prime
Stuff
80e2313092420fbc5c53c9f0d74f7226.jpg

Has anybody ever use the Phillips hue light strips for displays

I'm glad to see you went the custom route. I had a bunch of custom cabinets made earlier this year and getting ready for the final 'phase' in a few months. I'm in the same boat as you: too many Prime pieces and 1:1 busts. Really looking forward to seeing the progress! :rock

I'm glad to see you went the custom route. I had a bunch of custom cabinets made earlier this year and getting ready for the final 'phase' in a few months. I'm in the same boat as you: too many Prime pieces and 1:1 busts. Really looking forward to seeing the progress! :rock

Sounds good I’m wondering if anyone’s use those hue light strips

Here is the progress

8d2ff9c891ab52b3060e2c8768993562.jpg

48ab1bc64cab94fa24e6948b934182eb.jpg

Sounds good I’m wondering if anyone’s use those hue light strips

Here is the progress

8d2ff9c891ab52b3060e2c8768993562.jpg

48ab1bc64cab94fa24e6948b934182eb.jpg

Can you provide details on these cabinets? Materials, dimensions, pricing, etc., etc.

Pax put in 2 hangers underneath shelf and has amazing
Support

Back