Cleaning Solutions After a Fire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I lost most of my possessions in an apartment fire. I’m in the process of trying to clean and salvage what figures I have.

In many cases, I can wash most of the soot from the figure’s clothes, but the sculpts are completely blackened. I’m soaking them in soap and warm water, then scrubbing them with a toothbrush. In some cases I’m able to get most of it off.

Is there a cleaning solution that might work a little better than soap and water?

Thanks.

6268AACC-0188-40BE-AA87-97F214F73CE9.jpg 20A36157-4627-4ACB-86D2-1A702B699E81.jpg43C86417-8B5A-4565-A664-08C448846F2D.jpg

sorry for your lost but i think some may not be soot but damaged from heat, judging how Skywalker's light saber deformed.

for clothes, try using vinegar & lemon juice in water. if the clothings are light color you may need to bleach, then try to redye to the original color.

for the head, try use abit of alcohol, try on secluded areas to make sure it doesn't wipe away the original paint apps. if the sculpts are ok, might want to reconsider a repaint as an upgrade.

rubber/leather suits are most likely damaged from heat.

Skywalker now looks abit like some old relic found in some Church. it has that old age kinda charm.

Oh! The Humanity! That is a sight I hope to never see again!

Sorry for your loss and best of luck cleaning up. On the bright side, you could have an entire "battle damaged" section of your collection now

My sister went through a fire this past Christmas and she had to throw everything out, the smoke can't really be cleaned from fabrics and collectibles.

They're gone.

That is definitely the case. The smell is going to always be there. Just going into my sisters house after the fire turned my stomach, awful smell. Pretty sure the staining from the smoke is irreversible as well.

Last edited:
Back