Batman: The Animated Series Coming to Blu-Ray in 2018!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually watching the DVDs now. 1 or 2 episodes before I go to sleep. :)

I'm good with those until they need to be replaced.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Now we'll really be able to see how poorly the animation in most episodes have aged! Jankey Joker ftw. Yea!

The dvd sets and Netflix are good enough for me. The only thing that's going to benefit from a blu ray 4K release is a transfer of Mask of the Phantasm. 85 episodes that originally aired on Fox on the ole' 90s tube? Meh. Only so much that can be done for them. Blu Ray isn't the answer.

Yeah, given the fact that these were made in a time, and method so that they aren't going to benefit significantly from the hi def treatment, I'm not sure I'll re-up. But, I love me some B:TAS. So, I might do that just for the hell of it to have another set to maybe last a bit longer. No guarantee Amazon Prime will keep the series in its library forever, and who knows how long our players will keep being able to access DVDs?

It’s kind of a weird announcement because it’s one I never thought I’d hear, for obvious reasons that you both mentioned, but the way it was announced seems kind of reminiscent of how they announced the ‘66 Blu-Rays, and that, coupled with the fact that it’s being announced as a WBE title and not an Archive release makes me wonder if they actually aren’t going to do something legit with it.

I wasn’t expecting it any time soon since it wasn’t released for the 25th anniversary this year. I will gladly take it next year though.

This is great and totally unexpected, because the show would require truly extensive restoration to make them look good on blu ray. The amount of noise and dirt on the show was insane.

This is great and totally unexpected, because the show would require truly extensive restoration to make them look good on blu ray. The amount of noise and dirt on the show was insane.

I imagine there will still be a fair amount of noise and dirt that remains, especially from the earlier episodes, however it will still be a must buy. Hope they remaster mask of the phantasm too!

Edit: completely forgot MotP was already out on blu ray!

I imagine there will still be a fair amount of noise and dirt that remains, especially from the earlier episodes, however it will still be a must buy. Hope they remaster mask of the phantasm too!

Edit: completely forgot MotP was already out on blu ray!

There will, there's no going around it and doubly so since the show wasn't made to be viewed under such visual scrutiny anyway. I would say people should keep their expectations in check for this release since there's only so much that could be done.

As for MOTP blu ray, the audio and video quality thankfully turned out superb, definitely worthy of your purchase.

Will definitely be adding this to my collection of classic TV on BD...

200.gif

While it's sounds cool, I'm afraid they'll ***k the visuals up.
The grain and washed out colors are what makes BTAS so good to look at.
Better transfer and widescreen treatment are the only things they should do.

Hmm...I'll probably reup as long as they also include the "new batman adventures" too. I love my first 4 box sets but some of them(especially volume 2) have some scratches and issues now. And if they put a bunch new docs, I'll definitely want this even more.

There will, there's no going around it and doubly so since the show wasn't made to be viewed under such visual scrutiny anyway. I would say people should keep their expectations in check for this release since there's only so much that could be done.

As for MOTP blu ray, the audio and video quality thankfully turned out superb, definitely worthy of your purchase.

I’m kind of curious what the extent of the restoration will actually be. Will it just be some marginal half-assed upconversion or is this their way of future proofing the property as we start to evolve past Blu-Ray, even, and into Ultra HD and beyond. I mean, looking at the ‘66 series and the 4K remasters they did, it makes me think they may be taking the same approach to this. Even the announcement seems to echo the ‘66 announcement as offhand, but official confirmation that it’s coming (the Conan tweet/this panel remark), the fact that it’s still a ways off and that an official press release won’t be coming for several months, etc. I’m staying optimistic about this one, and, hopefully, they deliver something really special for this show. This is, like, the best kind of surprise, as I was, in all honesty, completely content with my DVD set and pretty much figured this would never ever happen.

While it's sounds cool, I'm afraid they'll ***k the visuals up.
The grain and washed out colors are what makes BTAS so good to look at.
Better transfer and widescreen treatment are the only things they should do.

Could they do the widescreen transfer, though, or will this be another ‘66 situation where they keep the traditional 4:3 aspect ratio? I mean, do the resources even exist for a widescreen transfer?

Back