Hello with Delight and Dread - A closet Statue lover

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somaticfix

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to all the folks out there from a lurker in Virgina. I didn't know this hobby had so many people active. I'm trying to reconcile my growing fondness for these highly detailed sculpts and figures and the desire to own some with the fact that thinking about statues is treading on the addiction train tracks. Throw in the mix that I've been brought up in a religious environment most of my life, this whole hobby can be considered a form of idolatry....yeah I took it there.

I suppose any type of hobby or action in which one is consumed by it could be potentially detrimental. I already have many "collector" hobbies and for the most part, I have overcome the initial magnetism of lusting after something, to where I have stabilized myself in both the items I possess and the desire to acquire more.

However, I learn about one new company and seeing their figures or statues, I'm drawn in further and further down this rabbit hole. I'm fairly certain when I get my first "big ticket" statue that I really love, it will be hard to break free from the yoke of getting another piece and spending more money. There is no question that this will send me on a trajectory of selling things to get another statue, like a crack addict needing another hit. It all started with Max Factory PVC figures; that was the gateway. Then I went on to Yamato/Kotobokiya. Now I'm wanting the heavy stuff. Statues from Prime1, SideShow and HMO collectibles. I'm in too deep now. The thing is, I love it. God help me.

Hello. [emoji3]

You're in a group full of other addicts, so feel free to be open about it.

So long as bills are paid and you've space to put your collections, what's the big deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome1: to the :FREAK: show, Somaticfix!
wavesmile.gif

We're all collectors and we've all been down the rabbit hole. :lol

Hey. :) Anything can go overboard. You can get poisoned from drinking too much milk! Figure out what works for you and take pride in sticking to it. That's likely good advice for myself. I just wanted to encourage you to enjoy the hobby and that it can be kept under control.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouraging words everyone. :)

I do enjoy this hobby and I think I can temper the full wanton lust on some of these statues, by taking the time to really narrow down what I'd like to get. Making comparisons and asking myself, which one I like more if of the same character by two different companies. I've narrowed it down to about four that I'd like to purchase or pre order before the year is up. We'll see how it goes.

Making sure you don't go overboard, imo, is simple. Do you have the bills paid? Do you have a place to store your collection that looks clean and professional? Is it taking over your life/living space?

Enjoy!

You say it like "going down the rabbit hole" is a bad thing?

Welcome
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back